Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 21, 2014, 02:14:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 144 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 114748 times)
Fastidious Monk
Recruit

There's always a 4.5% margin of error; + or -

View Profile
« Reply #1275 on: October 03, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »

Does Blindsight negate Blur?

Thanks

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1276 on: October 03, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »

Does Blindsight negate Blur?

I would rule yes - unless there was some mitigating reason why it shouldn't. (I'm not seeing one now, but there's always that possibility.)

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Fastidious Monk
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: October 17, 2012, 10:47:25 PM »

A character in my group had to Cheat Death and he rolled a two with a Tragic Fate.  He has no skill foci, but he is a Priest.  How would it work with a Priest losing 2 spells?  Does he just get off as being lucky?

Thanks

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: October 18, 2012, 03:17:20 AM »

They lose their Alignment and have to find a new one.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1279 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »

They lose their Alignment and have to find a new one.
"My god has forsaken me.  I will find A NEW GOD."

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:03 AM »

That was indeed my thinking.

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: October 18, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »

Alternatively, just re-roll.

A Crisis of Faith subplot can work if the players are up for it. Note that the Priest will be forced to do without half of his class abilities until its resolved.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Elvith Gent
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: October 19, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »

In my gaming group, there is a Priest dealing with a Crisis of Faith. Actually, it's been months since the subplot started ! Yes, he has lost a lot technically speaking, but as for today his secret is unrevealed and so he can still command the faithful Wink Moreover, the player really enjoys the role-playing that comes with the Crisis.

So I think it's not that horrible for your player, if he's ready to accept it of course ^^

Hoping my English is not nonunderstandableÖ
Fastidious Monk
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: October 19, 2012, 03:27:33 PM »

Thanks for the answers; now another question:

What negates or blocks Deathwatch?

I thought maybe Mind Blank, but it says Divination spells automatically fail.  Deathwatch is Necromancy.  But Mind Blank also says "...character canít be magically observed in his location...".  I assumed it was intended for Scrying, but is this enough to block Deathwatch?

Thanks

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: October 19, 2012, 06:58:22 PM »

I thought maybe Mind Blank, but it says Divination spells automatically fail.  Deathwatch is Necromancy.  But Mind Blank also says "...character canít be magically observed in his location...".  I assumed it was intended for Scrying, but is this enough to block Deathwatch?

That could go either way. I dislike absolutes in game, so I for one would be okay saying that Deathwatch is a detection that defeats mind blank, perhaps with a minimum DC requirement or opposed roll vs. the caster of Mind Blank.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: October 19, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »

You're generally safest doing exactly what the rules say the first few times out - which in this case is Mind Blank blocks what it says it blocks: divination spells (which Death Watch is not).

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Murdyll
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: October 22, 2012, 03:23:32 AM »

I know this probably boils down to a GM call, but is there any particular reason why an NPC's spells known don't count towards their XP cost? As I understand it, an NPC's XP is a rough indicator of the difficulty of the NPC, so why is it that an NPC can have Spellcasting I (1 XP), but know a 9th level spell, with no change to the XP? I may be misinterpreting the system, so some clarification would really help here.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:21 AM »

Because they'll never be able to cast that 9th level spell. NPCs have to make exactly the same check as PCs

Murdyll
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: October 22, 2012, 03:57:18 AM »

Because they'll never be able to cast that 9th level spell. NPCs have to make exactly the same check as PCs

Thanks. I had figured there was some kind of "unwritten" intrinsic limit I was missing. But what of an NPC with Spellcasting IX that has nine 9th level spells?
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1289 on: October 22, 2012, 04:02:30 AM »

I know this probably boils down to a GM call, but is there any particular reason why an NPC's spells known don't count towards their XP cost? As I understand it, an NPC's XP is a rough indicator of the difficulty of the NPC, so why is it that an NPC can have Spellcasting I (1 XP), but know a 9th level spell, with no change to the XP? I may be misinterpreting the system, so some clarification would really help here.

Knowing a bunch of spells isn't actually a threat.  Being able to cast them is.  So to be a threat the NPC needs adequate Spellcasting skill, Spell Points and probably Charisma / Feats to make their spells harder to resist.  All those things cost plenty of XP.  Plus, don't forget that PCs get their spells for "free" via Spellcasting ranks (so it's kinda like the NPCs follow the same rules).
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 144 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: