Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 06:20:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 155 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 140301 times)
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: September 16, 2012, 07:23:48 AM »

Quote from: Page 227
A fey doesn’t age but must eat, sleep, and breathe.

Is this on purpose?  Is it meant to apply to Elves?  I know Elves are traditionally rather long lived, but not aging isn't something you really see outside of Tolkien.

These are Tolkien Elves rather than D&D Elves. Super Eyesight rather than Low Light vision, Wise instead of Agile.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1261 on: September 16, 2012, 02:12:41 PM »

It's also a bit of a handwave - none of the races have aging charts, so having them age 50% slower is meaningless.  For all intents and purposes, in a single campaign without aging spells, not aging is the same as an extremely long life.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1262 on: September 16, 2012, 08:22:14 PM »

I can see Saurians and Drakes living until something kills them.  Enough rolls on the table of ouch will eventually make on easy prey.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1263 on: September 16, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »

As an aside I've been tinkering with aging for an epic span campaign, has anyone else been working on a similar rule?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: September 17, 2012, 07:11:45 AM »

As an aside I've been tinkering with aging for an epic span campaign, has anyone else been working on a similar rule?
I've had aging for a while in my games, and I worked up some tables/attribute modifiers simply because my players were often stumped on how old they should be, but I did mine by species, rather than type. Instead of listing ages for every species individually, I worked up categories and put species into those.
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: September 17, 2012, 08:37:47 AM »

Many races ages were specked in the Origin of Species: Classic Fantasy book, and I usually use those for the races in it
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: September 17, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »

I already have a rule that is more formulaic than 3e, and doesn't assume age categories vary linearly with lifespan.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Elvith Gent
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: September 18, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »

I already have a rule that is more formulaic than 3e, and doesn't assume age categories vary linearly with lifespan.
Would you share it with us ? Cheesy
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: September 18, 2012, 11:22:50 PM »

Would you share it with us ? Cheesy

Well, it's one of those things that is easier to do in excel than it is to explain.

The upshot is that I use an age ratio sort of like D&D, but it only applies to venerable age. For other age categories, the age threshold for that category is a fractional exponent of the ratio, like so:

Age factor = species venerable / human venerable

And the age levels are:
Adult age = human adult (15) * age factor^.5
Middle age = human middle age (45) * age factor ^.7
Old age = human old age (53) * age factor ^ .9
and to come full cirlce...
Venerable age = human venerable (7%) * age factor

The result is you don't get 50-year old toddlers or anything like that.

In this scheme, fey type essentially doubles the age factor. You get the age factor of a character with a different blood by averaging the two age factors. But in the case where you aren't changing the character's type, you half the age factor of the fey race before averaging. Elves have an age factor of 6, but an elf-blood human only has an age factor of 2 (same as a pech.)

Quick finger pech are also fey, so double the age factor of the pech (or 4).

Since fey type plays into this, dwarf blood humans actually would have a greater longevity than elf-blood humans.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: September 19, 2012, 04:20:54 AM »

The result is you don't get 50-year old toddlers or anything like that.
I was always weirded out by this, so I did my best to avoid it as well but since I have so many species I just did 5 different lifespans (Short lived, low average, high average, long lived, and very long lived, straight forward names) with the five usual categories, each with a Fast and Slow maturation rate- all the type-modifiers I use are just +% like you see all across FC, but they only modify the upper bound of Adult and later categories
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: September 19, 2012, 12:09:14 PM »

I once had an idea for one way to have elves, and elven aging, which made some kind of sense (with reference to 3.5):

(click to show/hide)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1271 on: September 19, 2012, 12:28:11 PM »

I once had an idea for one way to have elves, and elven aging, which made some kind of sense (with reference to 3.5):

(click to show/hide)
Solid.  I dig this.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1272 on: September 19, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »

That is pretty impressive. Great work PF!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: September 25, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »

I have 3 human characters: Andre the Giant, Peter Dinklage, and Patrick Stewart, who is a vanguard.

With Andre to the left of him and Peter to the right, Sir Pat gets the benefit of his specialty's stand together ability. In the event that having only 1 horse between the three of them Peter decides to strap a riding harness to Andre's back and rides him into battle as a mounted character, I would be correct in believing, would I not, that Sir Pat astride his horse doesn't suddenly lose the benefit of Stand Together?

Also, how is the improved stability granted by the Horse Nation feat intended to work? The language seems to imply that you benefit from it all the time while astride -- so, when even just a passenger during which the specific conditions of the feat trump the general case that it is ineffectual to riders -- rather than only when acting as a mounted character.

Addendum: If Pete is also a vanguard, does he lose his bonus even if Pat keep his?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:06:48 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1274 on: September 26, 2012, 09:49:22 PM »

I have 3 human characters: Andre the Giant, Peter Dinklage, and Patrick Stewart, who is a vanguard.

With Andre to the left of him and Peter to the right, Sir Pat gets the benefit of his specialty's stand together ability. In the event that having only 1 horse between the three of them Peter decides to strap a riding harness to Andre's back and rides him into battle as a mounted character, I would be correct in believing, would I not, that Sir Pat astride his horse doesn't suddenly lose the benefit of Stand Together?

You would be correct in that assumption, yes.

Also, how is the improved stability granted by the Horse Nation feat intended to work? The language seems to imply that you benefit from it all the time while astride -- so, when even just a passenger during which the specific conditions of the feat trump the general case that it is ineffectual to riders -- rather than only when acting as a mounted character.

The key words there are "when mounted." The second clause only applies when you're acting as a mounted character, not when you're a passenger.

Addendum: If Pete is also a vanguard, does he lose his bonus even if Pat keep his?

Assuming the same configuration described above, Pete would not gain that bonus (which is different from "losing it," as it's not on all the time - it's a perk enjoyed under very specific circumstances, not a base ability enjoyed at one's leisure).

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 155 Go Up Print 
« previous next »