Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 07:46:37 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 154 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 137341 times)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #960 on: September 28, 2011, 12:42:53 PM »

In regards to the first one, it is entirely something allows people to customize aspects of your game. I would suggest you all agree in your gaming group to handle it one way and go from there.

The effects of villain critical failures have always been up to the GM all the way back to Spycraft 1.0 or Spycraft Classic. But if as a group, you spent 3 and the GM only dropped his initiative by 3, I'd ask for a stiffer outcome or to get 2 of the Action Dice back. Typically for 3 AD spent a weapon will break or the villain get seriously wrong information or completely buy into the story you are telling him. I've had players crit succeed vs the villain crit fail on a skill test of diplomacy, intimidation, sneak vs search or notice. Players faces really light up in moments like that.

Important thing to remember: the Crafty game system, Mastercraft, is about three very core concepts: balance amongst all players, including the GM, telling a good story, and everyone having fun. If those three are not met, something's wrong. So the GM should be as willing to really mess up his villain if the players activate the crit fail as he is to activate their crit fails. Sometimes, just sometimes, taking the failure makes for a much more fun and interesting story for everyone.

These are probably one of the most friendly forums of any game on the net. We really help each other here. Welcome to Crafty Games.

Living Spycraft Masterm
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Dont believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #961 on: September 28, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »

1. Ok, so no officially-sanctioned way the mechanic works, then.

We like to keep certain things open to table rules.

2. I meant multi-die activations, but I notice now that Jinx says "costs one less die", so I assume that means multi-die activations are possible.  I didn't see any charts in the book, just the one set of examples of things that could happen to a PC at each die level, so I guess it's just up to the GM to determine an appropriate result.  I was just worried that I'd say, "I want to spend 3 dice to activate his critical failure", and the GM could respond, "okay, his initiative round drops by 3" or something similarly useless without any recourse.  Again, I guess it's up to the GM.

You can apply the same rules to villains in this case as heroes. Puma's right, though - the GM gets to determine the exact effects and whether two or more dice (or, in fact, whether any dice) may be spent to activate criticals.

3) If you use Fortune Favors the Bold (+2 to action die rolls) as a simple benchmark, Lady Luck's Smile seems kind of underpowered.  Best-case, with d4 action dice, you still end up gaining an expected value of only +1 2/3, and it drops to about +1 once you go to d6 action dice, and less beyond that.  Is this just a natural diminishing returns feat that you take to try to squeeze every last bonus out of action dice in a focused build?  It seems like it should also grant an additional +1 to be balanced relative to FFtB (in which case it would be more useful for d4s like the bonus dice, but less useful for large dice).  Similarly, Fortune's Fool seems strictly worse than Fortunate, since the maximum number of dice you can earn is capped at what you get automatically from Fortunate.  Am I missing anything?

The effects of these three feats are very different, and while they're not precisely balanced against one another statistically, they serve very different play styles...

Fortunate statistically diminishes as your character levels, though not by much, and not universally (a bonus die used for anything other than boosting a result is just as useful no matter what level you are).

Fortune Favors the Bold also statistically diminishes as your character levels, but always guarantees you a minimum action die result when rolling, which can be especially useful with certain boosting and ability combinations.

Lady Luck's Smile again diminishes statistically (noticing a trend?) but operates a lot like an increased threat range, making every die roll more exciting.

So it really depends on what you're after while building your character and playing the game.

Welcome to the boards!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Tamdrik
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: September 28, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »

3) If you use Fortune Favors the Bold (+2 to action die rolls) as a simple benchmark, Lady Luck's Smile seems kind of underpowered.  Best-case, with d4 action dice, you still end up gaining an expected value of only +1 2/3, and it drops to about +1 once you go to d6 action dice, and less beyond that.  Is this just a natural diminishing returns feat that you take to try to squeeze every last bonus out of action dice in a focused build?  It seems like it should also grant an additional +1 to be balanced relative to FFtB (in which case it would be more useful for d4s like the bonus dice, but less useful for large dice).  Similarly, Fortune's Fool seems strictly worse than Fortunate, since the maximum number of dice you can earn is capped at what you get automatically from Fortunate.  Am I missing anything?

The effects of these three feats are very different, and while they're not precisely balanced against one another statistically, they serve very different play styles...

Fortunate statistically diminishes as your character levels, though not by much, and not universally (a bonus die used for anything other than boosting a result is just as useful no matter what level you are).

Fortune Favors the Bold also statistically diminishes as your character levels, but always guarantees you a minimum action die result when rolling, which can be especially useful with certain boosting and ability combinations.

Lady Luck's Smile again diminishes statistically (noticing a trend?) but operates a lot like an increased threat range, making every die roll more exciting.

So it really depends on what you're after while building your character and playing the game.

Welcome to the boards!

Thanks for the responses and welcomes, everyone.  I wanted to point out that I wasn't comparing Fortunate to FFtB or LLS, which are obviously completely different, but rather Fortune's Fool, which is comparable to (and, as far as I can tell, strictly worse than) Fortunate.

Lady Luck's Smile is a more interesting feat, but I have a hard time taking it over FFtB when it's always going to produce a lower expected outcome and is only really "better" if you're attempting a desperate roll that couldn't succeed without an action die exploding (e.g., needing a 25 on d20+d4).
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: September 28, 2011, 02:58:13 PM »

The question isn't which one should you take, but how many. Characters with FFtB, LLS, Fortunate, AND Fortune's Fool basically rock at everything they try.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #964 on: September 28, 2011, 03:06:39 PM »

very true

Living Spycraft Masterm
pawsplay