Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 04:51:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 150 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 121129 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »

With the new changes to the guard quality, it seems that the Zweihander is strictly inferior to the Claymore for anyone with Greatsword Basics.
Is this intended or should the feat increase any existing guard bonus like Shield Supremacy does, instead of just granting a guard bonus?

I'm pretty sure it does already increase any existing guard bonus, just like if a weapon has Keen 4 and gains Keen 4, it has Keen 8, I don't think that has really changed at all.

Well, the feat reads "When you wield a greatsword, it gains guard +2".
Guard was an untyped bonus before the errata, so the wording wasn't really a problem; however, since now Guard provides a gear bonus, and since gear bonuses don't stack with each other, the bonus provided by the feat should supersede the bonus from the weapon itself; at least, that's how I read it, if I'm wrong, let me know.

I'm sure there's a general rule in the book that the higest of a given type apply - so if you have 2 guard bonuses the highest will apply.  Personally I going with "When you weild a greatsword, it gains guard +2, or its existing guard value increases by +2."
Doublebond
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2010, 09:16:25 AM »

Banned Actions still seems to exist in its pre errata state in the NPC qualities section.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2010, 04:14:26 PM »

With the new changes to the guard quality, it seems that the Zweihander is strictly inferior to the Claymore for anyone with Greatsword Basics.
Is this intended or should the feat increase any existing guard bonus like Shield Supremacy does, instead of just granting a guard bonus?

I'm pretty sure it does already increase any existing guard bonus, just like if a weapon has Keen 4 and gains Keen 4, it has Keen 8, I don't think that has really changed at all.

Well, the feat reads "When you wield a greatsword, it gains guard +2".
Guard was an untyped bonus before the errata, so the wording wasn't really a problem; however, since now Guard provides a gear bonus, and since gear bonuses don't stack with each other, the bonus provided by the feat should supersede the bonus from the weapon itself; at least, that's how I read it, if I'm wrong, let me know.

The change is intentional and your reading is correct. Not all weapons work equally well for all characters with all training. (We ask that you please keep this thread free of weapon-related debate - questions are fine, but actual debate of which weapons should work in which ways is a topic best handled in its own License to Improvise thread. Thanks!)

Personally I going with "When you weild a greatsword, it gains guard +2, or its existing guard value increases by +2."

That's a perfectly workable house rule - and one we endorse for anyone who needs the change. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »

Banned Actions still seems to exist in its pre errata state in the NPC qualities section.

Also intentional - it's perfectly reasonable that an NPC should be banned from certain actions, especially when a  GM is making the conscious choice to add the quality independently of the rest of the build.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 08:46:30 PM »

A note on the updated Call to Arms docs: The Mist-Dancer and Infernalist both mention that Path of Magic is a possible route to the class (in the 'Building the' section). Given the changes to that Path, it's not an option any more.
Nova
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 09:18:45 PM »

Rune Knight is also one of those which can ONLY be accessed through Mage 1 or Sage 4, as blessed:Path of Magic, or Priest no longer function for that purpose.

'Warcasting I' also took a bit of a hit which I am not certain was intentional: It is no longer equivalent to a specialty or class ability, but only to a craftsmanship weapon upgrade (which on a cheap enough weapon can be less expensive than an actual mage's pouch: 3s if you don't mind having a sling on hand!)

I'm bloody glad the repeating crossbow's qualities were changed so its now usable though! Slightly improved range, and no longer load... Indirect adds an interesting function to it too.
tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 10:12:01 PM »

How does the Wicked Dance stance from Knife Basics (can't take move actions, but can take 5' steps) interact with Ghost Basics (move twice your speed when making a Hide check) and the Mist-Dancer's Spellshroud ability (spend an AP to make a Hide check as a free action when you cast a spell)?

I.e. Can a character with all of the above who is already in Wicked Dance stance cast a 0-level spell (e.g. Featherfall, free action) spend an AP, and move twice their speed without breaking the stance?
tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 10:57:38 PM »

Another Mist-Dancer question:
Shadow's Hand: What is the benefit of making a Conceal Action check "anywhere within Close Quarters and line of sight, as if you were adjacent to your target"?

As far as I can tell, Conceal Action is used to do something like subtly pick a lock, disable a cart-wheel, or cast a spell. You're concealing your own action, so I can't think of an instance where you'd be concealing an action at range (unless it's intended to allow you to conceal an ally's action. if so, perhaps that could be spelled out better).
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »

Shadow's Hand: What is the benefit of making a Conceal Action check "anywhere within Close Quarters and line of sight, as if you were adjacent to your target"?

As far as I can tell, Conceal Action is used to do something like subtly pick a lock, disable a cart-wheel, or cast a spell. You're concealing your own action, so I can't think of an instance where you'd be concealing an action at range (unless it's intended to allow you to conceal an ally's action. if so, perhaps that could be spelled out better).

The way I read it implied you could do something and conceal it as if you were adjacent, I think the intent was to allow you to pick pockets, open locks, and so forth out 30ft
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »

How does the Wicked Dance stance from Knife Basics (can't take move actions, but can take 5' steps) interact with Ghost Basics (move twice your speed when making a Hide check) and the Mist-Dancer's Spellshroud ability (spend an AP to make a Hide check as a free action when you cast a spell)?

Point of order: this is exactly the kind of thing your GM should be answering, as I can see multiple perfectly valid answers for each combination. Given my GMing style, I might in fact use more than one of them in the same game, and even in the same session, based on circumstances and the narrative at hand. That said...

I.e. Can a character with all of the above who is already in Wicked Dance stance cast a 0-level spell (e.g. Featherfall, free action) spend an AP, and move twice their speed without breaking the stance?

Technically, that reading is correct. Remember, however, that free actions are specifically and universally limited to GM fiat. I might allow that once for fun, twice to help the story along, but the second I smelled abuse the character would suddenly be operating on a healthy diet of zero free actions. Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:22 AM »

A note on the updated Call to Arms docs: The Mist-Dancer and Infernalist both mention that Path of Magic is a possible route to the class (in the 'Building the' section). Given the changes to that Path, it's not an option any more.

Good catch! I'll hang on to that one for the next update.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »

'Warcasting I' also took a bit of a hit which I am not certain was intentional: It is no longer equivalent to a specialty or class ability, but only to a craftsmanship weapon upgrade (which on a cheap enough weapon can be less expensive than an actual mage's pouch: 3s if you don't mind having a sling on hand!)

I suspect it's still in the right range. Not having to sheath your weapon or switch hands to cast a spell is no small thing.

I'm bloody glad the repeating crossbow's qualities were changed so its now usable though! Slightly improved range, and no longer load... Indirect adds an interesting function to it too.

Thank Alex. The bow upgrades were his handiwork.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 12:20:03 AM »

The way I read it implied you could do something and conceal it as if you were adjacent, I think the intent was to allow you to pick pockets, open locks, and so forth out 30ft

Exactly, so long as you can still see what you're doing (thus, Line of Sight).

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 12:29:49 AM »

Exactly, so long as you can still see what you're doing (thus, Line of Sight).

Hmm... I see now. There's no explicit action for picking pockets, it's just an action of 'I take that out of his pocket' with a Conceal Action check to cover it up.

So does the Mistdancer gain possession of the pickpocketed items (I presume so, since they can stash things at a distance)? Do their tools apply to the Disable attempt (once they hit level 7)?

Edit: For clarification, I find it very confusing that the ability doesn't actually let you do anything that isn't a skill check at a distance. If, for example, it also said that you could take a Handle Item action at close range with line of sight, that would make the Conceal Action part much more understandable.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:44:55 AM by tenebrae » Logged
tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »

Point of order: this is exactly the kind of thing your GM should be answering, as I can see multiple perfectly valid answers for each combination. Given my GMing style, I might in fact use more than one of them in the same game, and even in the same session, based on circumstances and the narrative at hand. That said...

Technically, that reading is correct. Remember, however, that free actions are specifically and universally limited to GM fiat. I might allow that once for fun, twice to help the story along, but the second I smelled abuse the character would suddenly be operating on a healthy diet of zero free actions. Wink

If we took out the cheesy use of Feather Fall, and replaced it with a real spell (such as a full-round action one), how are the rules meant to be interpreted? Since there aren't any 'move' actions in the game (although there is a 'standard move actions' and several other 'movement actions'), I'm having trouble interpreting what a character in Wicked Dance (or one of the other 5' only stances) can and can't do. For example, does the Handle Item action (a movement action) break the stance?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 150 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: