Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 06:06:09 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 151 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fantasy Craft Second Printing Q&A Thread  (Read 122736 times)
Lucifers Heaven
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: September 13, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »

All good points. Maybe I'm too influenced by too much AD&D time. In that game once melee began your archer could not really contribute anymore.

It's probably also worth noting that they are talking more about firing from melee, not into melee. So they aren't suggesting that once the enemy closes with your party you can't shoot anyone, just that you need to try to keep the enemy from closing with you, specifically, to be at your best.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: September 13, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »

The Archer build isn't gimped by having a weakness, every other fighting style has one.

To be fair, a dozen arrows a round will exhaust a typical quiver of arrows pretty fast. Is that enough of a weakness? That would depend on campaign specifics, I suppose. But ammo tracking really shouldn't be discounted as a sticky wicket for archers everywhere. 

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: September 13, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »

Indeed.

I usually don't sweat ammo, unless someone is using the Bow chain.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: September 13, 2012, 10:40:15 PM »

The archer in my group did find a way to mitigate ammo problems.  We have a craftsman in our group with access to the magic item creation feats, specifically the Greater Storage charm.  At any given time, he has a chest with up to 1,000 arrows tucked away in his storage belt.

He rarely runs out of arrows mid-combat as most combats do not last very long so this primarily just allows him to refill his quivers between battles.  But he has Quick Draw, so on the couple of occasions that he has had to replenish his arrows mid combat, he only lost a single turn of shooting (plus a second turn if he wanted to put the chest back in his storage item).

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: September 13, 2012, 10:44:39 PM »

Yes there are ways, but even loosng a turn grabbing a new quiver is a cost. Plus he did spend a Prize slot on it. Heck, I'd have just let them make a Quiver of Ehlona.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: September 13, 2012, 10:57:06 PM »

Oh, I don't begrudge him his storage item of arrows, either.  It takes up one of his prize slots and another player's feat to make it.  His original idea was to just stuff arrows in the storage items but it had an item limit, so he bought the Large Chest to store the arrows to put in the Storage Item.  The hard part was deciding how many arrows a large Chest could hold.  It gives limits based on item size but arrows have no size listing.

Large Chests have a 100 lb capacity, and arrows are listed as 1/10 lb, but it wasn't clear if that 1/10 lb was for the stack of 30 or a single arrow.  After some research, we went with per arrow, hence the 1000 arrow limit.  He basically keeps some bundled in batches of 30 so he can quickly reload his quiver if necessary.  The procedure is basically:

Handle Item: Trigger Storage Item and retrieve chest
Handle Item: Open chest
Handle Item: Retrieve arrow bundle from chest
Handle Item: Load arrow bundle to quiver

With Quick Draw he gets 2 of those as free actions...

Holy crap, I just now realized he doesn't even have to lose a turn of firing.  He can do the first 2 steps for free the round he empties his quiver and do the last 2 for free the round afterwards and then keep a continuous barrage of fire.

I'll have to point this out to him when I see him next time.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1251 on: September 14, 2012, 04:09:42 AM »

All good points. Maybe I'm too influenced by too much AD&D time. In that game once melee began your archer could not really contribute anymore.

It's probably also worth noting that they are talking more about firing from melee, not into melee. So they aren't suggesting that once the enemy closes with your party you can't shoot anyone, just that you need to try to keep the enemy from closing with you, specifically, to be at your best.

Ahhh, this whole thing makes more sense now.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: September 14, 2012, 10:04:21 AM »

For the purposes of a master class' Continuity ability, is Spellcasting a valid skill?

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: September 14, 2012, 11:20:31 AM »

For the purposes of a master class' Continuity ability, is Spellcasting a valid skill?

Considering that no class has it as a class skill, no.

The ability to buy ranks in Spellcasting is granted by a class ability, not a class skill list. So it functions like an origin skill.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 11:22:51 AM by Krensky » Logged

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1254 on: September 14, 2012, 11:55:06 AM »

So could you just run us a quick example of a 1-minute and 2-round ambush check please?

Sure.

Player: "I think it would be a great idea to dig a pit and line it with these here spiky bits of metal."

GM: "Cool. I'll get back to you in one minute of game time."

[stuff happens in game for 10 rounds]

Then it's either...

GM: "Ambusher! Make your check."

[player rolls]

[GM notes results for when they're needed]

...or...

[GM rolls and notes results for when they're needed]

[play continues]

Ditto for two rounds - except, you know, shorter. Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: September 14, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

Nope. Spellcasting is intentionally never a class skill for anyone.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1256 on: September 14, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »

Got to admit, I'm a little curious why you're asking?  There's nothing that builds off continuity skills, and SaQtA / Way of the X grant a sort of quasi-origin status - you planning on scripting a continuity based ability?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: September 14, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »

That had been the plan

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: September 15, 2012, 11:00:56 PM »

Quote from: Page 227
A fey doesnít age but must eat, sleep, and breathe.

Is this on purpose?  Is it meant to apply to Elves?  I know Elves are traditionally rather long lived, but not aging isn't something you really see outside of Tolkien.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1259 on: September 16, 2012, 04:39:59 AM »

Or the original mythology which inspired him

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 151 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: