Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2015, 03:23:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  [LABORATORY] The final Spellbound spells
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [LABORATORY] The final Spellbound spells  (Read 11112 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: January 23, 2015, 02:03:15 PM »

New version:

Corpse Spasm II
Level: 2 Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 half action
Duration: 1 round per Casting Level
Effect: As Corpse Spasm I, except that you may end this spell as a free action to make the corpse take 1 half action. If this action requires an attack or skill check, its bonus to this check is equal to one-half your Casting Level (rounded down).

1 rd/caster level duration is too short. I think it needs to function more like a booby trap / Necromantic adaption of the Alarm spell, especially if you have to position the corpse to make its action effective. Cancelling the spell early could then generate a bonus to the subsequent check in a manner similar to living library otherwise the programmed action executes at the end of the duration

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 23, 2015, 02:32:30 PM »

New version:

Corpse Spasm II
Casting Time: 1 half action
Duration: 1 round per Casting Level
Effect: As Corpse Spasm I, except that you may end this spell as a free action to make the corpse take 1 half action. If this action requires an attack or skill check, its bonus to this check is equal to one-half your Casting Level (rounded down).

1 rd/caster level duration is too short. I think it needs to function more like a booby trap / Necromantic adaption of the Alarm spell, especially if you have to position the corpse to make its action effective. Cancelling the spell early could then generate a bonus to the subsequent check in a manner similar to living library otherwise the programmed action executes at the end of the duration

I saw your suggestions, and deliberately chose this one. Planning something that's not a straight up, single function trap like Alarm is nearly impossible and leads to option/play paralysis.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
fectin
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 23, 2015, 06:00:54 PM »

Is there a way to reword Corpse Spasm 2 so that the corpse can twitch in life-like ways for the entire duration?

As written it still seems a little over-leveled for the intended use, but also seems subject to some really silly cheesiness: e.g. duct tape, dead pixies, this spell and a tactics roll get you one hell of a surprise round (though I think those tactics would be surprising at any time). That's not necessarily a bug, since it takes an inordinate amount of setup (and lets you duplicate the Army of Darkness scene where all the hands burst up through the ground!), but I don't think it's the intended use either.
Dirigible
Agent

Terror to animal creation

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 23, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »

I assumed the original name was a tribute to A Twitch Of The Death Nerve.

Midnight to Fantasy Craft Conversion. Recent Addition: Skill-Based Magic.
teroks
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 18, 2015, 04:25:24 AM »

Any news from this book? When it is coming out?
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: February 18, 2015, 05:37:40 AM »

Still in edits. No further news to report.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is broken.
teroks
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 20, 2015, 04:43:43 AM »

Sneak peak or news available?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 20, 2015, 02:43:52 PM »

This seems an appropriate gif as lead-in for the one doubtlessly to be used when it's finally done:

MezzoCatorce
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 20, 2015, 11:20:22 PM »

This seems an appropriate gif as lead-in for the one doubtlessly to be used when it's finally done:

11 days left till the end of Q1.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: March 21, 2015, 08:45:56 AM »

We're just back from the GAMA Trade Show in Las Vegas, where we've been meeting with distributors, retailers, and new (plus a couple current) business partners about our upcoming slate. I'd planned to post a Spellbound editorial update sometime this coming week. I'll still do that but since you asked I'll give you the highlights now.

Editing Spellbound is nearly as complex as scripting it. The various releases have to be meticulously cross-checked and at any given time multiple chapters (releases) are in flux. There are also a couple minor bits that need to be filled in but can't be until the rest is fully locked. The good news is that the process is going smoothly and so far no major revisions are required. The bad news is that since Alex and I decided at the outset that we wouldn't start releasing anything until at least two-thirds of the series is done - and that isn't the case quite yet - the release train is still going to have to sit in the station... for a little while longer.

Right now I'd estimate that you'll see the first releases sometime in April. Hopefully earlier than later, and of course we'll keep you posted as we go. In fact, as I mentioned above I'm hoping to start up a sort of running editorial thread here on the forums to keep you in the loop. I'll try to get that up and running late this coming week.

Thanks for hanging in there! We're close. Soooo close now. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: March 22, 2015, 07:28:32 PM »

Assuming this thread is up to date (it seems to be - last edit was after the last update here), you might want to take a last look over Corpse Spasm before you go to presses.

Quote from: removed formatting, bold for emphasis
Corpse Spasm I
Level: 0 Necromancy
Casting Time: 1 full action
Distance: Close
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Will negates (disbelief see Effect)
Effect: One corpse makes a single short, simple motion of your choice, such as opening its eyes, exhaling, or moving a limb. Character with line of sight to the corpse when the spell is cast will believe it alive unless they succeed on a Will save. Examining the body directly for 1 round likewise reveals the deception.  

Corpse Spasm II
Effect: As Corpse Spasm I, except that you may end this spell as a free action to make the corpse take 1 half action. If this action requires an attack or skill check, its attack or skill bonus is equal to one-half your Casting Level (rounded down).

Without having a duration, there's nothing to end.  So, as written, either the spell does nothing beyond what CS I does or the extra clause is completely pointless and only serves to potentially confuse (I can easily see readers going "End this spell, what's the duration?  It doesn't have one listed, how does this work?") which just becomes unnecessary errata.

I saw earlier in this thread that it just cuts out the bolded part of CS2 (and the word "to").  Go with that - it's an instant effect, so it's perfectly clear how it all works (you cast, and then the corpse takes an instant half action).  Clearer, and less words.  I assume this is a remnant from a different iteration where it functioned as CS1, except had a duration so you could jiggle a corpse for a few rounds, or you could end the spell to take a half action?

Incidentally - if CS2 is as CS1, and will negates on a disbelief, can I just pass a will save to ignore the attack or trip check?  Rules say yes, which might be something to think about in final edits, too.

The other spells look good, and are very cool.  Looking forward to the final product more then ever.  Good luck with the home stretch.

EDIT: Personally, I'd give CS2 a duration since it encourages tactical necromancy (tm Sletchman) - the caster can make the corpse groan and writhe around for a few rounds until someone closes in to do first aid (hey guys, our comrade is alive!) and then you strike by ending the spell.  I'd also make it clear that the attack can't be disbelieved, because it's not an illusion.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 07:38:46 PM by Sletchman » Logged
Mutt
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: March 22, 2015, 07:34:54 PM »

At least regarding the Will save question, Corpse Spasm I notes that the Will save is simply to trick onlookers that the corpse is actually alive. Thus, a successful Will save against CSII will only tell the onlooker "Oh, this guy who stabbed me with his knife is actually dead already, there must be someone controlling him!", rather than "Knife? What knife?"
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #312 on: March 24, 2015, 06:52:04 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! There is absolutely still time to fold this stuff in. I'll get it taken care of during an upcoming pass.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: