Author Topic: Mysterious Freelancer Revealed! Plus Spellbound Status Report!  (Read 39899 times)

SilvercatMoonpaw

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Freelancer Revealed! Plus Spellbound Status Report!
« Reply #435 on: August 25, 2016, 06:16:15 PM »
To be serious for a moment:

Wouldn't "I have backups" just be a souped-uped version of Cheating Death?

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 25, 2016, 10:14:23 PM »
Is the reputation cost at least reasonable for the effect? I mean, the dream is that your mortal enemy exhausts all of his resources fighting you, resulting in both of your deaths within the two day duration, but the nightmare of dropping a pile of Reputation and then nothing much happening for the next two days seems far more likely.

Oh, it's incredibly cheap, compared to f.ex. Resurrection. If you've got good Legend and are running in high-Menace adventures, you could cast it every adventure. I guess it's because you could get lucky and end up wasting the spell...
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 26, 2016, 12:06:11 AM »
Or, you know, stop trying to bring stuff that routinely breaks TOG into FC just so you don't have to Cheat Death.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
PSN: Krensky_   Steam + GOG: Krensky

Ares

• Control
  • deus ex machina
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 26, 2016, 12:16:28 AM »
Is the reputation cost at least reasonable for the effect? I mean, the dream is that your mortal enemy exhausts all of his resources fighting you, resulting in both of your deaths within the two day duration, but the nightmare of dropping a pile of Reputation and then nothing much happening for the next two days seems far more likely.

Oh, it's incredibly cheap, compared to f.ex. Resurrection. If you've got good Legend and are running in high-Menace adventures, you could cast it every adventure. I guess it's because you could get lucky and end up wasting the spell...

Sounds like you'll just need Power Word: Kill to make sure you get good use out of it.
Plan B: Use more fire
Creamor

Mister Andersen

• Control
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 26, 2016, 12:25:16 AM »
There is a Clone spell in the preview, but it's for cloning others, not yourself. (It literally requires a pound of flesh from the original, so while I guess you could make a clone of yourself, it'd be... problematic...)

Well, there's literally a spell in the core book that shows a limb being regrown...

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 26, 2016, 12:37:52 AM »
Or, you know, stop trying to bring stuff that routinely breaks TOG into FC just so you don't have to Cheat Death.

This actually does sound like a Cheat Death scenario.

"As Marzak's soul escapes his body it is summoned forth to the eldritch circle where it was partially bound in his tower's basement. It's arrival triggers the glyphs that bind the soul into the new body, cloned for this very eventuality."

The GM collects the players votes and rolls the die . . .

What fate awaits for Marzak?
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

TheVastator

• Handler
  • Everything is better with pirates!
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 26, 2016, 06:06:28 AM »
I agree with Krensky and Bill above... why import something broken when you have a wonderful mechanic already?

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 26, 2016, 06:10:20 AM »
I would assume it's because you don't want to risk permanent effect, the table finding "I had a clone ready" to be a crappy story (because it is, which is the other big problem with that spell), or both.
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing without things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery

Antilles

• Mastermind
  • Control
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 26, 2016, 08:16:53 AM »
Eh, could be a fun CQ/game mode... ridiculously high lethality, automatic Cheat Death, randomly rolled fate/severity, pop back into play with minimum delay. 'Course, then all you need to add is Friend Computer and you've basically got Paranoia.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 26, 2016, 10:21:13 AM »
We did that back in the SC2.0 joke qualities thread.

Control is Your Friend (+0 XP): Don't worry, this will be fun. Control says so, and Control is your friend. Can you doubt Control? Doubting Control is treason. Trust Control. At the beginning of each scene every player may spend one action die. If they can not or do not they are considered to be in a Terminal Situation the entire scene. If the GC or another player uses this to kill your character in a boring way he owes you an Action Die and a cookie.

ParanoiaCraft: Bleak, Bloodbath, Bottomless Clip, Comedy of Errors, Control is Your Friend, Faction, Fast Attributes, Fast Feats, Fast Growth, Fast Interests, Fast Proficiencies, Gritty, Paranoid, Rare Spectacle, Revolving Door, Shoe String Budget, Small Screen, Tense.

Kadrok

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 26, 2016, 04:10:39 PM »
I agree with Krensky and Bill above... why import something broken when you have a wonderful mechanic already?
This is basically my whole reason here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB8vk8Zrwak
Interesting discussion, but I think rule of cool could reasonably trump mere science in a game about magic powers.   :P

Krensky

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 26, 2016, 05:17:13 PM »
No, it's not.

jarvvoitlus

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 26, 2016, 06:18:47 PM »
There actually I'd a way to do just that within the bounds of the rules: be the DM, and give your BBEG the Everlasting quality. Of course, you should never put something g like that in the hands of a player.

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 26, 2016, 07:07:47 PM »
There actually I'd a way to do just that within the bounds of the rules: be the DM, and give your BBEG the Everlasting quality. Of course, you should never put something g like that in the hands of a player.

I disagree. If you have a player who wants to pursue functional immortality, let them do so and achieve it. It's a classic and worthy goal of an adventuring career. It's also the classic definition of a Prize in the FC rules.

And guess what -- Prizes are what the GM want them to be.

So the clonebank in and of itself is a prize. As is potentially each individual clone ready to decant. The physical location of the clonebank would be another. So that's at least 3 prize slots + the ungodly amount of rep a sane person would spend fortifying the place gone already that might have been used for more immediate effect.

I'm watching Dark Matter at the moment, and they have a rather neat tech in the setting that allows you to telecommute via temporary clone. The advantage is that you can go anywhere and do anything with negligible immediate risk to yourself; the disadvantage is that go essentially go naked, don't get any augmentive tech replicated on the other side, and if you don't make it back to the transfer pod before the clone expires you just wake up with no idea what happened while you were out.

So sure, you get to come back after some big fuck up. You just do so with no idea what you've been doing since the last memory backup, how you died, where the rest of the party is, or any of the gear you had with you.

If you don't have the native magic to contact the party? The GM can fix you up with that for the small cost of another prize slot. You want real-time back-up? Same deal, though depending on what's involved you might have to retrieve the device and install it in the new clone body. And if you can retrieve the device so can other people...

Mister Andersen

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 02, 2016, 09:21:59 PM »
Probably too late, but while prepping some NPCs for combat, I looked at the various teleportation spells

Dimension Door - Lvl 4 - instant - single check to instantly move anywhere within 1000 ft (.25 miles) without error - 1 additional willing character per 3 levels
Teleport I - Lvl 5 - Instant - double check to instantly move anywhere previously visited within 100 miles/level with potentially random destination deviation - 1 additional willing character per 3 levels
Teleport II - Lvl 7 - Instant - double check to instantly move anywhere reliably described with potentially random destination - 1 additional willing character per 3 levels
Tree Walk - Lvl 6 - 1 hr/level - single check to instantly move between trees of same type within 1 mile, full round to enter/exit
Shadow Walk - Lvl 7 - 1 hr/level - double check to move at 50mph with potentially random destination - 1 additional character per level

It seems to me that both of the walk spells could be made into tiered spells, with the Tier I versions -- tree walk having a lower duration+same tree restriction at Tier I and the limitation of the same type of tree removed for II, while Shadow Walk I would have the limitation of willing added -- sitting at levels 4 and 5