Author Topic: Mysterious Freelancer Revealed! Plus Spellbound Status Report!  (Read 23357 times)

• Control
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious Freelancer Revealed! Plus Spellbound Status Report!
« Reply #330 on: November 24, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »
You put the point on it for us as well, Pawsplay, in that there's a particular chicken-or-egg scenario FC has always faced. Fact is, we live in a Pathfinder world, which itself has had a significant effect on Fantasy Craft in the long term. If we'd been able to release it a year earlier (as we once planned, in the long long ago), or if Pathfinder hadn't hit the way it did, or whatever, it might have been a different story - but the fact is we ALSO found ourselves in the position of either doubling down on Fantasy Craft on the chance it could break out vs. the 800 lb. gorilla, or letting it be what it is. I know this affects 3PP as well, but even if we doubled down, there's no guarantee that 3PP would even support what we DID do vs. going to Pathfinder or AGE or a host of other options.

For us, the decision to go to where we were both strong, known, and in less competition - Spycraft and other modern stuff - will be the right one. When we have limited resources, we have to make the decisions that play to our strengths and offer the greatest yield for our most precious resource...time.

I know I'm going well into "stuff not discussed, bad Koala", however, with the mention of Paizo and the existence of Spycraft's Archer Foundation & World on Fire, (I'll ask this in a way as to try to not get myself in trouble) has there been any announcements regarding SC3 and a developing play world similar to (whatever Paizo calls the Pathfinder land).  Because I'm 99% sure that's what keeps that line going with those in my group.  I can't get into it.  It's too much like D&D 3.5 with a sugar rush to it.  But the world is at least interesting enough to read on.  However, I do play the Adventure Card Game, and it definitely sells its own world beyond just having a ruleset to play with. 

(I kinda feel like an ass for asking that knowing I'm probably treading into plans not released or discussed publically.. but its the monkey sitting in the room in my head begging for an answer and I may have missed something like that.)

• Control
  • WWTWD?
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 24, 2015, 06:13:20 PM »

Which is pretty much what has me buying Pathfinder books.
We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery

• Crafty Staff
  • Control
  • Damned if I do, damned if I don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 24, 2015, 06:31:32 PM »
No, there's no been announcement re: organized play, or a developing setting, and there won't be for a while. Spycraft has historically been a game where folks have their own unique takes on the Agency, the threats, and their style of game; consequently, our "setting" is a lens on the world outside your window. We'll provide plenty of ammunition to build your own campaign that fits your playstyle and group's interests, which you can take apart and use as an overlay to whatever you read in the paper or Internet.

Inspired by a mysterious explosion on an oil derrick in an exotic country? Perhaps it's a plot you assign to our version of SPECTRE. Seeing a lot of stories about corporate malfeasance in the third world? Perhaps you want to use our "evil corporation" archetype. And so on and so on. We'll give you the bits, you put them together how you like.
"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games