Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 06:22:21 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  My Weapons Guide and other tweaks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Weapons Guide and other tweaks  (Read 588 times)
MalikCarr
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2010, 03:36:34 PM »

Hello all! I actually didn't know until just now that there was still much of a following for Spycraft and that pleases me greatly - my colleagues and I have been playing it on and off for a few years and I still think it's one of the best d20-based systems for RPGs as a whole, even if it is a bit complicated.

Anyway, on seeing a fair number of threads for the upcoming edition of Spycraft that are actually complaining about how many guns there are in 2.0, I find myself feeling a bit silly because I actually felt there weren't enough in the book to begin with. Then again, I'm also a gun nut and general scholar of firearms, so I guess that was a logical conclusion.

Moving right along.

Last year I actually wrote up a bunch of new guns for Spycraft, using my trusty library of fine gun references (Small Arms of the 20th Century by Ian V. Hogg and Assault Rifle by Max Popenker helped out quite a bit) as a starting point. Eventually this evolved into a not-insignificant project for my gaming group, and we ended up effectively using this giant three ring binder of tables and textual descriptions of a massive number of weapons in place of the Firearms listed in the 2.0 rulebook, rather than as a supplement to it.

My colleagues started referring to it as the "bible" and I took a great amount of amusement at that, heh.

Anyway, I thought I'd share this document with you fine gentlepersons, perhaps it's something that might be of interest to you if you felt the 80+ guns in 2.0 weren't enough like I did.

A few fore-warnings:

• Some of my group's house rules ended up invading this document, so I'm not trying to pitch it purely as something of a gigantic "Bag of Guns" home-made supplement. For instance, my group decided to "explode" all result dice, not just action dice, which makes certain guns slightly more powerful than others on the pretext that they're more likely to roll the highest number and grant you bonus damage.
  • Many of the guns I added are actually listed primarily for historical reasons, and likely wouldn't have a great deal of appeal for Spycraft games set in the present date. My campaign started in 1976, which was one of the main reasons why I set about adding more guns that existed before that point - there just wasn't enough variety available.
  • Regionally-appropriate firearms were also a major element I was running with, as I was quite a stickler about what types of guns my players could pick up in different parts of the world. An M1911 wouldn't be very easy to come by in the Soviet Union, whereas the similar TT-33 on the other hand is quite plentiful. In a game where availability of guns from different countries is irrelevant, a good deal of guns are rather analogous to each other, much as they are in the real world.
  • I ended up making explosives much more powerful, just based off of personal preference. A party of 1st-level Spycrafters could get totally wiped out by accidentally stepping on a bounding mine while scouting a location they're planning on investigating using the damages and other values as I've written them.
  • In general, being shot as a whole is significantly less forgiving - my players and I all ended up agreeing that the best defense was not getting hit in the first place, and that means putting something solid between you and the enemy. Cover is your friend!
  • Some guns simply are totally better than others, so a game that places no restrictions on availability of weapons could well have a party all choosing the exact same pistols out of a choice of nearly a hundred.  Grin

The other thing I ended up chucking was the inclusion of upgrades as part of a weapon's gear pick - it always struck me as a cheap method of trying to get people to choose inferior guns over better ones with the promise of more free toys to go with them. In my campaign upgrades usually either came with the gun already, could be requested for free if the situation allowed for it, or the players just bought them using their own cash.

Anyway, the document is about 110 pages long in Word format, with a 7 page appendix that I kept in a separate leaf holder in the binder that acts as a table of content as well as listing weapon qualities and the weight/characteristics of ammunition. When you're paging through the main guide itself, not having to flip back to remember what TKD meant proved extraordinarily helpful.

The guide and appendix are hosted in a .zip file here, via SendSpace, if anyone would be interested in taking a look. Just remember, it is the size of a small book already - I find having some hot cocoa handy makes reading it more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 03:38:24 PM by MalikCarr » Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: