Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 09:08:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Brainstorming] Epic Fantasy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Brainstorming] Epic Fantasy  (Read 2495 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 02:22:01 AM »

Well, first step has to be to define just what you want Epic Fantasy to mean.

But assuming you're essentially taking a gonzo Kratos-style approach to things:

• the simplest method of amping things up is to simply change the attribute modifier ratio to a simple modifier = attribute - 10 formula -- even if you take a flat 13 array, you'll still be at +3 on everything.

• Combatwise, rather than mook everyone go for auto-confirmed crits on standard NPC

• Threat range on skill and attack checks for special characters increases by 1 everytime your AD pool increases: by default that's 19-20 up to level 5, 18-20 up to level 10, 17-20 up to level 15, 16-20 beyond that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:39:12 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 11:03:51 PM »

As I said, the objective is to start playing epic starting from level 1, not even high level. I want to make rule changes as minor as possible - and simplifying rather than complexifying - and yeah, add "advice" on how to use the rules "best" for epic fantasy. Thanks for the comments guys, keep them comin'. It's helping me decide if I'm going in the right direction with a few ideas and whether I should put some details - like storytelling advice and obviously I should - into the document.   Smiley
I think this is where the true glory of this system lies.  You can totally do an epic feeling campaign with the rules as they are written from level 1.
Between the campaign qualities and the way NPCs are handled you can dial in the feel pretty easily.
I think the big thing here is NPC management making just the right difficulty for the feel you want.
If you want PCs beating Kings and Dragons at level one just remake the NPCs a little weaker in comparison.  Through in a lot of flavor and away you go.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 01:26:02 AM »

A couple of things I was considering for a more epic style game:

Remove most caps.  Most of the stuff that has a limit of x/combat is going to be as often as you want.  I'm still probably going to keep timers in place for the really damaging abilities, but things like Shield Block, Contempt, various tricks in the Melee chain will just be "have at it".

Modify Parry / Shield block.  These got zero use at my table, because the players found them almost pointless (AC vs Saves were such a vast difference that they'd fail almost every time).  I'm not sure where I'll go to with them, but I'm probably also going to add a note to Total Defence where it's dodge bonus also applies to parry / block, and you can make multiple attemps at either when going Total Defence.

(Somewhat) Deadly Combat.  Basically Deadly Combat, except it only applies to Standard NPCs.  (Not sure about this one TBH).

I've also come up with some setting dependant magic items that heartily smash the magic item rules apart.  But most of the stupidly powerful ones will be either macguffins, or temporary prizes (by their nature) - the rest will be balanced, but just break the rules a little bit.

I also agree with Mr A - I think a definition of "Epic Fantasy" needs to be established here.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 02:13:34 AM »

Well, I have no idea what Kratos-like means, but I'm mostly aiming at mythological sagas: clash of the titans, Beowulf, the Niebelungs, Thor's exile, Hercule's deeds, Ulysseus Odyssey ... I shall add a list of sources for easy reference.

Character creation's rough draft is almost finished now, as well as the few core rules I wanted to change. There are still likely changes to happen though (* take notes about Sletchman's issues *). I've been building a sample Beowulf character with the system, and it worked well (took me 10 minutes tops) but I'm not 100% satisfied with it. I hope you guys will be willing to create a few characters once I post the stuff, in order to get a better idea of what is feasible and what isn't.

But first, I still have to write the "GM advice" section. As soon as it's done, I'll post the first draft here. Thanks for all the useful advice, y'all.  Smiley
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 05:25:29 AM »

Well, I have no idea what Kratos-like means, but I'm mostly aiming at mythological sagas: clash of the titans, Beowulf, the Niebelungs, Thor's exile, Hercule's deeds, Ulysseus Odyssey ... I shall add a list of sources for easy reference.

Yep, definately the kind of Epic I was thinking off.
I'd also consider WWII as another sort of epic. In this event the owrld is shattered and forever changed by a cast of thousands including common people who rise to the occassion and great leaders. the emotional stakes for the individuals involved were also larger than life. none of these people were virtual god striding the Earth nor did they wield relics of great power...but then there was THE BOMB...

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 09:44:19 PM »

I tend to look at epic as being a wider than normal gulf between the pricinciple cast and the extras. I have three qualities (listed in order of impact) that could be used in varying combinations to put PC on a whole different level, even at level 1. Adding Reputation (and Legend, which adds Rep over time) will let them access more parts of the "I'm awesome" economy. Keeping standard NPCs from using action dice in as many ways makes the Special characters more special. The easiest ground-up way to tweak the system for players who already have experience (an expectations) with the Mastercraft system is to let them build slightly more impressive stat arrays right out of the gate (changing the base array to all 14s does a LOT to shift gears).

CAMPAIGN QUALITIES
Destiny's Chosen (Campaign Only): New PCs begin play with an additional 30 Reputation and +5 Legend.

Gods among Men (0 XP): Standard NPCs may not spend action dice to boost rolls.

Demigods (Campaign Only): Players start with 48 points to assign their attributes. Reduce the XP value of all NPCs by 10 before assigning XP rewards during this campaign.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:45:22 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 01:57:17 AM »

Do you mean +30 Reputation for Destiny's Chosen?  Starting with 30 Renown will max out all 3 of the default renown charts (unless you also couple that with a whole bunch of renown trees).  Just for clarification.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 02:44:11 AM »

Do you mean +30 Reputation for Destiny's Chosen?  Starting with 30 Renown will max out all 3 of the default renown charts (unless you also couple that with a whole bunch of renown trees).  Just for clarification.

Yeah, meant Rep. Fixed Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: