Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 01:58:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Fallout PbP: The Blood-Dimmed Tide (In Character)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout PbP: The Blood-Dimmed Tide (In Character)  (Read 23818 times)
glimmerrat
Control
******
Posts: 3517


Iconoclast


View Profile
« on: June 12, 2010, 01:39:33 AM »

Briefing: Vault 46 Entrance Hall
January 5th, 2250; 0600hrs

The chief of security swipes his pass card down the side of the control console for the front door. A klaxon sounds and several orange warning lights begin flashing. He is wearing full body armor and has an assault rifle slung over his back, as do the two security officers flanking you. The Overseer watches apprehensively as the massive control arm slowly lowers into place and locks into position in the centre of the huge, cog-shaped door. “Remember your objectives. Find the building supplies, bring them here, and be sure not to let the insane scum outside know where we are.” Each of you fingers the small cyanide capsule in your pocket. Will it really be that bad out there? With a deafening shriek of tortured metal, the door slides inward a good five feet, then with a booming clank-clank-clank it rolls off to one side, exposing the chamber to the outside.

Beyond the portal is a darkened room, with a concrete floor, walls and ceiling. Off to the right on the other side of the main door is a control console identical to the one the chief is standing at. It is heavily corroded. As you hesitantly step through the doorway, the security guards walk alongside you, guns shouldered. On the far side of the room is what looks like a large freight elevator, easily thirty feet on a side. As you step into the elevator, some of you glance upwards, wondering how far below the surface you could be. Alice works the elevator controls, and with a click-whoosh click-whoosh, lights spring to life above you, illuminating the shaft. It must be hundreds of feet high…

The Overseer nods to the security guards and they watch you as, without a word, he heads back inside as you board the ancient machine. They follow him a moment later, and before the passenger cage even moves the Vault door is rumbling closed. The journey to the surface takes a good few minutes, and you all wait in silence, shuffling nervously. As the elevator rattles to a halt, Hondo grabs the rotting strap at the bottom of the orange chain-link gate in front of you and – with considerable effort – hauls it open. The chamber here is much the same as the one below, except the ceiling consists of a pair of massive steel doors that look like they have seen better days. The lights do not come on, and after a short walk up a skeletal metal staircase illuminated by your pip-boy lights, you find a door marked with a sign that says
EXIT in large red letters.

Frank pushes the door open, and you all blink, momentarily blinded by the bright light that pours in through the doorway. The air smells salty, and you are quickly startled into action by the distinctive snap-snap of laser weapons, the whooshing-roar of plasma discharges and the shouts of what could only be people fighting for their lives.

Oddly enough, Elsie’s pip-boy chooses this moment to tune into a local radio station, crackling to life as you all panic, trying to decide what to do.


(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 01:42:38 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2333


Woot, I got a new hat! :P


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 03:52:08 AM »

Marcus gives Elsie a quick signal to shut off the radio as he crouches down and motions for everyone else to do the same.  Indicating the door, he hisses, "We can't let them know we came from there."

(click to show/hide)
Logged

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control
******
Posts: 2815


It's a Trap!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:03:46 AM »

Hondo goes for cover and readies his shotgun.
Logged

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
MilitiaJim
Control
******
Posts: 4288



View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:38:54 AM »

Red Queen in hand, Alice creeps forward behind Hondo, clicking her safety specs over to thermal, looking for plasma trails and other evidence of the hostiles' locations.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Girlfriday
Operative
****
Posts: 461


Proud owner of 2 beautiful sons.


View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 10:18:56 AM »

Elsie stand behind Hondo, shaking violently.
Logged

Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2904


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:23:05 AM »

Franklin goes for cover too, and hefts the axe while waiting for everyone to line up. Luckily, the commotion is loud enough to mask his muttering about fighting friggin' laser guns with an axe...
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
glimmerrat
Control
******
Posts: 3517


Iconoclast


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 10:00:08 AM »

After only a few moments, the sounds of fighting abruptly stop. The acrid stink of ozone finds its way into your nostrils, along with the unmistakable metallic tang of spilled blood. The sound of heavy footfalls accompany a voice that says with some authority "Sweep and clear." You spend the next few minutes hiding at the top of the stairs, and only venture out of your hiding place when you hear the sounds of rotors lifting off and receding ito the distance. It is suddenly very quiet.

Frank and Alice slowly step through the door, looking all around for a potential threat. The rest of you follow, stepping out onto a discolored concrete concourse that overlooks a vast expanse of water. Is that the sea? You have no idea - it looks like what you've seen in the slide shows... a flying vehicle, perhaps some sort of helicopter travels away from you across the water, headed to a large, mist-shrouded headland in the distance. Your geiger counters begin clicking periodically, and they don't stop. Turning around, you see that you have stepped out of a large stone building, a pedastal that must be at least 150 ft. high with what looks like an enormous rust-streaked green statue of similar height stood on top of it. You can only see it from behind right now, and you walk the circumference of the building, cautiously searching the area.

You find half a dozen bodies, all wearing red robes and tool belts. Some are armed with laser pistols, but most appear unarmed. It seems that you are on an island, and it is watched over by a great momument to a lady who has been long forgotten. A voice suddenly calls out
"Stay where you are!" You see a young man with short clipped hair in red robes stagger in front of you, some ten yards away. He aims a laser pistol at you with his right hand, and holds his left hand to his chest - it is bloody and burned, and his face is streaked with soot. He sees your jumpsuits, and hesitates. "The... the Vault? You're from the Vault." This appears to take a few seconds to sink in, then the laser pistol is lowered as his right arm falls loosely to his side. "H-help me. Please." He falls to the ground, dropping the pistol with a clatter.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 11:13:06 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
MilitiaJim
Control
******
Posts: 4288



View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:38 AM »

Alice looked around, drinking in the view of the surface for the first time, staring in wonder at the departing aircraft.  "I, I want one," she said quietly as the vertibird disappeared into the mist.  As they circled the building her expression of wonder faded to disgust as they came upon the carnage.  Badly startled by the wounded young man, she almost shot him, but managed to stay her trigger finger.

Then he collapsed.
 

"Holy crap!"  Alice secured the Red Queen in her holster as she dashed over to the wounded man, knocking his laser pistol away as she crouched over him, examining his wounds with an eye to preventing his demise, and speaking "soothing" words.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Girlfriday
Operative
****
Posts: 461


Proud owner of 2 beautiful sons.


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »

Elsie stands behind Hondo with her face buried in his back, fighting back tears of fear. Once the shooting has stopped she follows the others outside, staying behind Hondo. When she hears a voice, she pushes Hondo over there so that she can take a closer look.

"Is there anything I can do Alice?"
Logged

MilitiaJim
Control
******
Posts: 4288



View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 11:57:59 AM »

"I, I don't know.  This might be beyond a stimpack?"

(Is this beyond a stimpack, is it his arm or chest that is burned?  Alice isn't carrying any, the medicine check is to stabilize this young man, since he seems to be dying.)
Logged

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control
******
Posts: 2815


It's a Trap!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 12:14:33 PM »

"He got a wallet?" asks Hondo. After a moment, it occurs to him that such a question might be taken the wrong way, and adds lamely, "to see who he is or whatever. You know."
Logged

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
MilitiaJim
Control
******
Posts: 4288



View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »

Alice waves a bloody hand towards one of the crumpled bodies.  "Check them?" she snaps.
Logged

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control
******
Posts: 2815


It's a Trap!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 12:26:59 PM »

Feeling a little stupid now, Hondo timidly rolls a red-robed corpse for ID or some other sense of who these people are. He keeps absently wiping blood on his pants.
Logged

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
MilitiaJim
Control
******
Posts: 4288



View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »

"And see if they have stimpacks or first aid kits," Alice shouts, mostly at Hondo, but at anyone else who is checking the dead for information we can use.
Logged

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
glimmerrat
Control
******
Posts: 3517


Iconoclast


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 01:26:59 PM »

Alice dashes over to the fallen man. He is conscious, but badly injured - his arm and shoulder have an awful laser wound; he must be in a lot of pain. She treats the wound as best she can, and while she is opening his robes to look at the damage, a pair of small tags on a necklace fall out and into her hand. They immediately light up with a muted green glow, stating:

PARKER
A J AB POS
14159
BOS SCR QUI
NO PREFERENCE

Are these miltary dogtags? Hondo searches the bodies - there are five other bodies, and they are all dead. He finds a similar set of tags on each, along with two broken laser pistols. The bodies have suffered a mixture of laser burns and exposure to some sort of highly energetic reaction. One has literally been shot in two, the ragged ends of both halves of his body glowing bright green as they fizz and slowly dissolve, giving off tremendous amounts of heat.

The others manage to rustle up three stimpacks and the fallen man's mint-condition (but half-capacity) AEP7 laser pistol. As Alice finishes her intial exam, she determines that whilst a stimpack won't immediately make it 'all better', it'll certainly help.


(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 01:31:06 PM by glimmerrat » Logged

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 37 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!