Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 08:19:47 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  Spycraft 3 - What Classes? [Was 'Scientist?']
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft 3 - What Classes? [Was 'Scientist?']  (Read 16230 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 10:23:45 PM »

Ironically, the class that benefits most from "Ph.D" is actually the Sage, due to its core ability

I was under the impression that the official rule was Scientist class skills only - stopping the pointman from using it's 1st level ability and grabbing PhD anything via crossclass ability?  I could be wrong though.

No, you're correct.

Keepers/Scientists and Sages/Pointmen share Crafting, Haggle, Investigate, Notice, Medicine, Search, Sense Motive & Tactics, and anyone planning on using Trade Secrets/Ph.D would likely be targeting the Bluff, Impress, Resolve & Survival with BoE in order to cut down the skill excess point expense required for those extra 5 ranks

Ah, of course.  Sorry I misinterpreted what you meant.
Sketchpad
Recruit

Taking on the Bad Guys Since 1980

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 10:27:17 AM »

I'm just hoping that the Wheelman makes the final cut Wink  I'm a big fan of The Transporter franchise and have a player in my group that loves the class Wink

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer | Sketchpad Studios
DeviantART Portfolio
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 10:32:23 AM »

I'm just hoping that the Wheelman makes the final cut Wink  I'm a big fan of The Transporter franchise and have a player in my group that loves the class Wink

I'd second the Wheelman option too (and not just for cars) . One of my SC PCs is an ex-Air Force pilot and another is going to be an astronaut.

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 11:09:41 AM »

I like the Wheelman as well ... I have a NUMA game that I was playing and my character is a boat expert. Consider also that in a rollerblade or skydiving chase, it never hurts to have another Wheelman, although my LSpy character always packed a reserve chute in a belt as a gadget to be on the safe side.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 11:41:52 AM »

When I am lucky enough to play I have have found the Wheelman to be one of my favorite classes to play. 
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 11:49:34 AM »

Just remember that the Wheelman can do much more than just drive/pilot the vehicle. A well-designed wheelman does more than control the vehicle or just sit in the van. He also can be an infiltrator, an engineer, an outdoorsman (even an expert equestrian), or a trucker with a mean right hook and a talent for improvised weaponry.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Sketchpad
Recruit

Taking on the Bad Guys Since 1980

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 11:52:05 AM »

Just remember that the Wheelman can do much more than just drive/pilot the vehicle. A well-designed wheelman does more than control the vehicle or just sit in the van. He also can be an infiltrator, an engineer, an outdoorsman (even an expert equestrian), or a trucker with a mean right hook and a talent for improvised weaponry.

QFT ... Exactly Smiley

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer | Sketchpad Studios
DeviantART Portfolio
Goodlun
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 12:15:14 PM »

All I know is they handle them selves just fine in a firefight they may not have as many feats as a soldier but they have just as good of a BaB.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2010, 01:27:39 PM »

I actually disgree with this statement. The Wheelman can do none of things by virtue of the wheelman class that a character with the same skill options couldn't do.

Here's a challenge - instead of telling us you love the wheelman (noted), name me a character in popular espionage fiction who is a monoclassed wheelman and nothing else.

I would say Bourne is not. Bond is not - each do things with cars, but neither is clearly, from the class ability style effects he demonstrates, a wheelman instead of being a soldier, troubleshooter, assassin, etc. They just happen to be very good in chases.

Grimace
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »

I agree a class solely devoted to driving doesn't fit a espionage genre.

Now I could see this as a class in 10kB.

Grimace
mathey
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2010, 01:55:54 PM »

What Alex said.

Because its easy to side with him, but also because he's right.

Arakor
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »

Here's a challenge - instead of telling us you love the wheelman (noted), name me a character in popular espionage fiction who is a monoclassed wheelman and nothing else.

I was going to argue Frank Martin from the Transporter series of films.
However, you did specify espionage and I can't really argue that they are.

Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 02:27:43 PM »

Looking at how characters in espionage fiction have been statted in the past, the only monoclasses have all been pointmen... Which I understand is something you're already changing/fixing. Smiley

Reapercussions
Goodlun
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2010, 02:55:43 PM »

Not exactly espionage in the strictest sense but H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock and to an extent even B.A Baracus. 
If we want to talk about corporate espionage there is always Speed Racer =)
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2010, 03:00:23 PM »

Not exactly espionage in the strictest sense but H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock and to an extent even B.A Baracus. 
If we want to talk about corporate espionage there is always Speed Racer =)

I would have to agree these are most likely the best example, especially Murdock.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: