Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 01:17:39 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Fallout PbP (Out of Character)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout PbP (Out of Character)  (Read 53920 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1185 on: September 12, 2012, 08:33:57 AM »

Well, with some sheet metal, one of the Mr. Handy 'bots, and some tools, Alice could build us one of those swamp boats with a jet instead of a fan...

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: September 12, 2012, 02:37:35 PM »

As a former Vault Dweller, Marcus' knowledge on the relative value and availability of goods in the world is limited.

So with that in mind, can I make a Knowledge check or consult with someone to find the following information?

What kind of boat would we be most likely to find and how much would it be worth?

Some of the lighter materials to carry for their value is various medical supplies like the drugs Marcus is currently carrying.  I have no problem using those as part of the trade but do they have any more they can spare for trading?

Functioning electronics could pull some decent prices and be lightweight enough to carry.  Do they have anything like that available?  Oooh, maybe a mobile robot that can handle its own propulsion.

Brahmin could work, especially if they don't mind us trading the Brahmin itself as part of the trade.

What is the quality of the water at Tarrytown?  Would fresh, clean water be a valuable trading commodity, or do they already have a method for getting water there?

Well, with some sheet metal, one of the Mr. Handy 'bots, and some tools, Alice could build us one of those swamp boats with a jet instead of a fan...

So after surviving the crashing and burning of a city falling from the sky, Marcus will ultimately meet his death on a "boat" going 150 mph.  Wink

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1187 on: September 12, 2012, 03:46:51 PM »

How fast could a boat be built? We've got to leave like tomorrow, right?

As the guy who hasn't played the games, I'm fuzzy on what's valuable and how common things like boats are. Are motorized boats effectively priceless? The ferrymen sure take the protection of theirs seriously.

Did the mirelurk hunters have a boat?

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: September 13, 2012, 10:55:07 AM »

If someone would like to look up the construction time for a fanboat, i'd be grateful. As to boats being common? Rowing boats, yes. Anything with a motor, hell no. Rarer than diamonds. The EMP from the warhead that struck Queens fried everything within about 20 miles.

That's everything as far north as Yonkers, east as far as Brentwood, west across Manhattan as far as Jersey City and Englewood and south across the whole god-damn bay. That's why the stuff from any place that was EMP-shielded is so valuable. It still works.

The mirelurk hunters had skiffs for fishing and trade. Nothing else.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: September 13, 2012, 12:13:57 PM »

If someone would like to look up the construction time for a fanboat, i'd be grateful.

Real life, I don't know, but I can look up the Spycraft rules for it.

The closest analog in the book to a fanboat would be a speedboat (page 242) so I am using those stats as a basis for this boat.

Vehicle   Size   Comp   
Ski boat/speedboat   L (2 ×4, D 2 ft.)   20/+1   

Building a boat would be an application of Mechanics/Build with a synergy from Drive or Science (Fabrication).  Build is listed as a Complex Task requiring 2 x Item Caliber successes, so in this case it would require 2 challenges to complete.

Per page 139, the DC of the check would be 20, determined by the items complexity.

The time and cost required per check is based on the Project Investment (Medium) values.  My origin ability allows us to reduce the DC by 5 for purposes of determining Project Investment.  Using the effective DC as 15, that comes to 1 hour and $100 per check.  Since this is a large item, those values are doubled.

The net result:
For us to build a fanboat it would require a Mechanics/Build complex task at DC 20 and 2 challenges.  It would take 2 hours and cost $200 per check.

Our mechanic (Alice, duh), has +10 Mechanics and would benefit from an additional +1 Synergy bonus from 6 ranks in Science Fabrication.  At +11, we're looking at needing 4 checks on average so a ballpark figure of 8 hours and $800 would be expected.

Edit:
Just realized that Alice has Jury Rig II which cuts the Project Investment cost in half, so it would be 2 hours and $100 per check and an estimated 8 hours $400 for the whole project.

Anyone else have abilities that would modify this?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 12:17:26 PM by Bill Whitmore » Logged

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1190 on: September 13, 2012, 03:07:17 PM »

Anyone else have abilities that would modify this?
Alice also has an interest in vehicles, so our boat will be 20% cooler.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Gentry