Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 06:29:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Fallout PbP (Out of Character)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 81 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout PbP (Out of Character)  (Read 54549 times)
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1155 on: July 23, 2012, 07:25:26 PM »

There are a lot of sources of the Hudson river. However, the lower half of the river *is* an enormous estuary, and could be heavily sedimented by now.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1156 on: July 23, 2012, 09:25:29 PM »

There are a lot of sources of the Hudson river. However, the lower half of the river *is* an enormous estuary, and could be heavily sedimented by now.
Parts of the bay, Staten Island, and Brooklyn, but Not between the Palisades and Washington Heights.  Most of the west bank is cliffs up to Newburgh, and the east bank is not much less steep.

(Google maps has a topographical map feature.  It is almost as nifty as Lady Friday.)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 24, 2012, 12:28:44 AM »

I was under the impression that the bodies of water around Manhattan had to be dredged extensively before they were fit for large-scale use?

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 24, 2012, 03:27:02 AM »

Does it matter what it is like today in real life?  It may have been the scene of a massive battle, cratered all to shit, coupled with global warming and sea levels rising its a swamp now.

However it got that way (we can run an archaeological expedition later to find out if we really want to know), its a swamp now and we apparently need to find a way to navigate it.

We need to find a couple of these if we can find them.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 24, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »

You may be able to get *a* fanboat, but you'd need to travel to one of the swamp-edge communities and barter for it.

Incidentally, they're worth around 2500 caps. You have about 400 caps between you, before you start cashing in gear. And no, Empire doesn't have one; they're not a fishing community.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:22:33 PM by glimmerrat » Logged

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1160 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:36 PM »

Alice could almost certainly get a broken one to work...

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1161 on: July 24, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »

An airboat is also louder than loud. Like really fucking loud. Like the engine is right behind your head loud. Unless we can run it flat out and make the trip short, we're probably better off on foot--probably up the New York side of the river through Yonkers and on north, since the Jersey side of the river is surely impassably hellish. I wonder if the Tappan Zee bridge is still up.  Smiley

If we're going to make noise and be obvious, why stop at airboats? Why not look for an aircraft of some kind?

If we want a boat, though, we might could talk to the Mirelurk hunters. Or the Ferrymen. Or even the NYPD--I bet they've got a boat or two, or at least know of a salvageable specimen (though we probably don't have time for extensive repairs).

Incidentally, the trip looks like it's between 55 and 65 miles, depending on how we do it and possible detours. On foot, that's either a hard-pushing three days or a more manageable four. Do we feel like we've got three or four days (assuming the BoS will fly back in 30 minutes with vertibirds full of Empire-protecting zealots)?

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 24, 2012, 11:44:29 PM »

I think the only guy who may have any inkling of the ETA of the attack is sitting chained in a cell in our basement.  Even then, who knows what plans were changed when their commando teams don't make it back when expected.

Alice may be able to determine a ballpark figure if she can discern the battery life of the Stealth Boys on those bombs.  It wouldn't do any good for them to plan an attack to happen in 2 weeks if the bombs are going to be uncloaked and easily discovered in 2 days.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 26, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »

I wonder if the Tappan Zee bridge is still up

I am so glad that I planned this shit meticulously enough to know what you're talking about...

Alice may be able to determine a ballpark figure if she can discern the battery life of the Stealth Boys on those bombs.

Atomic battery good for a week. Radiation emissions slightly above background level.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1164 on: July 26, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »

Four up, one down.  Three up if we can raise the Brotherhood to pick us up before we walk all the way.

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 26, 2012, 04:39:28 PM »

That's going to be cutting it close.  If the bombs were going to become visible within a week, its a good bet they were planning to attack before then.

If we are looking at a 3 to 4 day trek, we'd best be gone already.  Jim should know how to get back to his base so lets put him on point and have him lead us there.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1166 on: July 26, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »

Btw, if the George Washington Bridge is not still standing, there is no way the Tappan Zee is still up.  The damn thing is falling apart now.

Gentry