Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 12:56:15 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  House Rule Bonanza!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: House Rule Bonanza!  (Read 8838 times)
Atr
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2010, 10:32:45 AM »

Finding the balance it's the key here, I've made some numbers, and I think that the lowe values will be more balanced.

In D&D was quite more easy to protect yourself from lower level spells, even some creatures in 3.0 were inmune to spells below a certain level (rakshasas?), and this is just the opposite, but I think that has sense, and solves the usual issue of SR/SD becoming unuseful with leveling.

Maybe I should wait to Spellbound to see if something else is related to this. (Spell Deflection by now is fully independant from SD).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 07:02:39 AM by Atr » Logged
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2010, 07:56:32 PM »

Unborn

Type: Medium biped construct with a Reach of 1 (see page 226). Your maximum wounds equal your Constitution score.
   Attributes: +2 to any attribute, -4 Charisma
   Speed: 30 ft.
   Aloof: Your error range increases by 2 when making Impress and Sense Motive checks targeting characters of other species.
   Banned Actions: You may not make Swim checks (you're too heavy) and you may not take Refresh actions.
   Cat Fall: You take 1 less die of damage from falling.
   Damage Vulnerability: Electrical attacks inflict 1 additional die of damage and gain the keen (20) quality. Additionally, threats and critical injuries arising from such attacks may be activated for 1 less action die than normal (minimum 0)
   Improved stability: You are considered 1 Size category larger for the purpose of carrying capacity, trample attacks, and resisting Bull Rush and Trip attempts so long as you’re standing firmly on the ground and not climbing, flying, or riding.
   Lumbering: You suffer a –2 to all Reflex saves, and become flanked any time two opponents are adjacent to you.
   Thick Hide 2: You are considered to be wearing partial armour that provides Damage Reduction 2. This damage reduction does not stack with other armour (only the best protection applies while wearing additional armour).

The Clockwork benefit from Special Construction instead increases Init by +1. Many Legged stacks without appreciable issue  (I like strong bots; alternatively swap stability out for Crunch! or Darkvision I if it's a problem for you).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:59:50 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 14, 2010, 12:22:52 AM »

Subdual damage can inflict critical injuries; it makes kicking the crap out of people an exceptionally attractive option.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »

Something I'm currently thinking about - an upgrade that reduces Crossbows load time by the users Str modifier [or perhaps Str + X], to a minimum of Load 1.  The idea is by using a lever, a character with exceptional strength [an Orc, Ogre, or a total badass] will be able to load them far quicker then with a winch.  Anyone spot potential balance issues with this?  Or perhaps have ideas for a suitable cost?  I'm leaning towards a static cost, rather then +X%.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2010, 11:09:39 AM »

It's not an upgrade, but I was thinking a feat tree to reduce loading times so I stole incorporated your idea.  Grin

Crossbow Basics
Shot through the heart and you're to blame.
Prerequisites: Bows forte
Benefit:  Crossbows you wield gain the bludgeon quality and keen 4.  You also gain a stance:
            Braced Reload (Stance):  While in this stance, the load quality of any crossbow you use decreases by the higher of your constitution or strength modifiers (minimum 1) to a minimum of Load 1.  You may not take move actions while in this stance.

Crossbow Mastery
In the hands of the untrained, crossbows are decent weapons.  In your hands, they're devilish.
Prerequisites: Crossbow Basics
Benefit:  When you wield a hand crossbow, it gains bleed.  When you wield another crossbow it affects your targets as if it were massive.  You also gain a trick:
           Nailed 'em (Bow Attack Trick): Your target also suffers the effects of a successful Cheap Shot.

Crossbow Supremacy
One shot, one kill.
Prerequisites: Crossbow Mastery
Benefit:  Your crossbow attacks inflict an additional 2 damage and you gain a trick:
            The One with Your Name on it (Bow Attack Trick):  Your attack gains keen 10.  Immediately after this attack, you may make a Stealth check as a free action.  If your attack kills your target, you gain a +5 morale bonus on this Stealth check.  You may use this trick a number of times per scene equal to the number of Ranged feats you have.

ETA: Keen 4 instead of keen.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 11:18:56 AM by Blankbeard » Logged
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2010, 11:13:24 AM »

I like these, quite a lot.  One thing you should include is how much keen Crossbow Basics is supposed to grant.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »

The keen weapon quality grants keen 4.  That was my intent, but I'll add it in.  I may be italicizing too much.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2010, 11:22:07 AM »

The keen weapon quality grants keen 4.  That was my intent, but I'll add it in.  I may be italicizing too much.

Just curious, was it your intent that these could all be used with regular bows too?  Not a bad thing at all, I'm just wondering.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2010, 11:31:51 AM »

From reading theMulti-Shot trick in Bow Supremacy, I think a bow attack trick can be used with a bow or crossbow.  Notice it says "Using this trick fires 3 arrows or bolts."  And then I wonder if all of the benefits of the bow tree work with crossbows.  I think they do. 
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2010, 02:02:36 PM »

From reading theMulti-Shot trick in Bow Supremacy, I think a bow attack trick can be used with a bow or crossbow.  Notice it says "Using this trick fires 3 arrows or bolts."  And then I wonder if all of the benefits of the bow tree work with crossbows.  I think they do. 

They do. Just like a rapier is a fencing blade due to its subheader in the Edge table, crossbows fall under the "bows" subheader in the Bows table.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »

They do, of course the problem is that until the second printing no crossbows qualified for that trick - of course the reworked Repeating Crossbow changes that.

On second reading it doesn't seem to actually exclude crossbows with load the way Angry Hornet / Blackened Sky do, but it does seem a little odd to allow one kind of multi-bolt attack while excluding another.  I'm not sure to be honest...
Fortinbras
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2010, 12:31:08 AM »

I tinker with house rules and campaign qualities a lot... possibly more than strictly necessary, but part of what makes Fantasy Craft so appealing to me is the way it seems to invite houseruling. At the moment I'm settled on...

Lethal Weapons: any weapon that does D10 damage or more deals lethal damage by default - I know it's an abstraction but I just can't picture a strike from a war hammer as causing "fatigue".

Pulling Punches: switching between lethal and subdual damage gives you a -2 damage penalty but no penalty to the attack roll - mostly just so that hitting inanimate objects with sticks isn't harder than hitting living foes.

Cumbrous Garb: your armour's Disguise check penalty also applies to Blend, Sneak and Spellcasting checks.

Interchangeable Antagonists: all standard characters of the same type in an encounter share the same damage total, which resets to zero when one of them gets offed. I stole this concept from the way WFRP 3e handles mooks, it saves on book-keeping quite nicely.

Indecisive Assistants: Personal Lieutenants and Animal Companions do not get any action allowance of their own. When the PC takes any movement action his sidekick(s) can take the same action (though they don't have to move the same direction) but if you want your lieutenant to do anything other than follow you around and flank your targets then you need to give up your main character's actions on a 1:1 basis. I expect this decision would be controversial in most FC groups, but I'm suspicion of any ability that gives a player twice as many actions per round - it translates to that player getting to be the protagonist twice as much as anyone else. And frankly PL/AC just struck me as too good for a single feat each.

and finally, just because I'm not a complete tyrant to my players all the time...

Heroic Recovery: a special character may, at the end of any of his turns, spend one Action Die to immediately end any ongoing effect that could have been evaded with a successful save. Just because it sucks to get stunlocked.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 12:39:15 AM by Fortinbras » Logged
Doublebond
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2010, 09:14:40 AM »

Indecisive Assistants: Personal Lieutenants and Animal Companions do not get any action allowance of their own. When the PC takes any movement action his sidekick(s) can take the same action (though they don't have to move the same direction) but if you want your lieutenant to do anything other than follow you around and flank your targets then you need to give up your main character's actions on a 1:1 basis. I expect this decision would be controversial in most FC groups, but I'm suspicion of any ability that gives a player twice as many actions per round - it translates to that player getting to be the protagonist twice as much as anyone else. And frankly PL/AC just struck me as too good for a single feat each.

Even despite the fact that, in most cases, they'll be four levels lower than the antagonists they'll be fighting?
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2010, 09:54:49 AM »

On second reading it doesn't seem to actually exclude crossbows with load the way Angry Hornet / Blackened Sky do, but it does seem a little odd to allow one kind of multi-bolt attack while excluding another.  I'm not sure to be honest...

They never did. When I designed Multishot, I presumed not a burst of 3 arrows being fired in succession, but rather stringing 3 arrows and letting fly all at once. Smiley Effect's the same but it works with bows or crossbows equally well.

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2010, 10:12:52 AM »

Lethal Weapons: any weapon that does D10 damage or more deals lethal damage by default - I know it's an abstraction but I just can't picture a strike from a war hammer as causing "fatigue".
I like that one.
Cumbrous Garb: your armour's Disguise check penalty also applies to Blend, Sneak and Spellcasting checks.
ACP already applies to Sneak checks. And "DCP" on Spellcasting seems a little harsh (at least to me). What about:
Cumbrous Garb: your armour's Disguise check penalty also applies to Blend, and its ACP penalty also applies to Spellcasting checks.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: