Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 23, 2014, 02:21:17 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  4DVENTURE!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 4DVENTURE!  (Read 13552 times)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 21, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »

Neat. They'll be getting an email from us shortly. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 21, 2007, 05:31:55 PM »

I also like customizing my skills, even if I never have enough skill points.

Hehe. I'd argue that that's probably because the system's balance requires sacrifice for specialization. That was a guiding philosophy when we were putting both editions of Spycraft together ("if someone's entirely happy with two choices they make - say, the number of skill points vs. the number of vitality they get - we're doing something wrong.").

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 21, 2007, 05:34:18 PM »

In character creation, I believe my character is based upon the decisions I didn't make, not the decisions I made. I don't expect that to make sense, but it goes along with the recent mantra I have adopted: "Music is the silence between the notes."

Nicely put, TM. That's a great way to describe another part of our philosophy, one that Scott touts an awful lot - rules and character options are defined by their weaknesses, not their strengths.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 21, 2007, 05:37:02 PM »

I'm waiting on my toes for FantasyCraft. What I hope that can provide for me which D&D never has (and looks even less likely to do in the 4E) is provide low/non-magic gaming in a medieval world. You take the magic out of 3.5 and it dies almost instantly.

Low- to non-magic is fundamental to one of the book's settings. You won't be disappointed.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 21, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »

What I hope that can provide for me which D&D never has (and looks even less likely to do in the 4E) is provide low/non-magic gaming in a medieval world. You take the magic out of 3.5 and it dies almost instantly.

The D&D brand itself denotes a particular style of play.  Magic is a big part of it.  But that doesn't mean that you have to use the default magic system.  The proof is in what other companies have done with the D&D system such as Fantasy Flight's Midnight which is a low magic fantasy setting.
Maldroth
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2007, 08:57:04 AM »

Hey I just noticed in one of those Sage Advice Q&A sections they are saying the Player's Handbook will be out in May 2008. The buzz at Gencon was August 2008
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2007, 10:39:39 AM »

Hey I just noticed in one of those Sage Advice Q&A sections they are saying the Player's Handbook will be out in May 2008. The buzz at Gencon was August 2008
The official GenCon buzz was indeed May - PHB, June - MM, July - DMG.

The idea is to have all the books available for Gencon rather than having a whole bunch of people trying to play games with rules they have not had access to. All the books will be out for August 2008.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Maldroth
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2007, 11:55:19 AM »

ah okay didn't get all of the story, I was in the midst of games when the announcement was made.
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2007, 12:46:26 PM »

ah okay didn't get all of the story, I was in the midst of games when the announcement was made.
Geez! What do you mean you were playing games at Gencon?! Where are your priorities?!

(Joking, just in case you couldn't guess....)

The Auld Grump

Maldroth
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »

Heh this year as about like last year about 4-5 games, few seminars, chatting with developers and writters, dealers room purchases, and some good food. In the case of the Rock Bottom gathering much of that was combined.

yeah I know I was slacking this year Tongue
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2007, 12:36:48 AM »

Geez! What do you mean you were playing games at Gencon?! Where are your priorities?!

I think I can top that. I was sitting in the Ram drinking PP-themed beer, eating Mile High Mud Pie and flirting with the waitresses (who were flirting back) when the announcement was made.

Hmm... that would explain why I had the sudden sensation of a thousand voices crying out and then being suddenly silenced half way through my third pint. Or that might have been the beer.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2007, 01:36:47 AM »

I think I can top that. I was sitting in the Ram drinking PP-themed beer, eating Mile High Mud Pie and flirting with the waitresses (who were flirting back) when the announcement was made.

Hmm... that would explain why I had the sudden sensation of a thousand voices crying out and then being suddenly silenced half way through my third pint. Or that might have been the beer.
Assuming that PP means Privateer Press, I remember reading the article on themed mixed drinks. Some of them were quite potent.

The Auld Grump, mixed drink of personal choice: cider shandy, drink of the true wimp. (Sadly, I really like the taste.)

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2007, 06:54:36 AM »

I don't know - I've had some lethal ciders in my time - diluted or not...
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2007, 02:15:50 PM »

I don't know - I've had some lethal ciders in my time - diluted or not...
Mutton fed? (Rough, scrumpie, Pratchett's Scrumble, etc?)

I have had some very good ciders, a friend of mine smuggled some British ciders in, a few bottles each of Stoneham's (Stun'em's) and Dead Dog Cider (complete with the song about how the cider got its name... which did indeed involve a dead dog - rven the name of the dog is remembered!).

A rough cider is quite a bit stronger than one which does not include meat - traditionally a leg of mutton is tossed into the barrel before closing. When the cider has aged there is nothing left but clean white bone. Smiley I have some friends in the SCA who make their own. It is a good deal stronger than American beer. (One has a song about 'Jack palsy, the shakes that result from some of the stronger ciders.

But for a cider shandy I typically use commercially available hard cider and ginger beer. No sense in wasting the good stuff.

The Auld Grump

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2007, 02:31:24 AM »

Assuming that PP means Privateer Press, I remember reading the article on themed mixed drinks. Some of them were quite potent.

Actually, they just rename their 'home brew' range to PP names and add a new beer onto the range which also has a PP theme. Still, it's good beer, and much better than Bud, Miller or Coors Wink

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: