Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:45:47 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Wiki Development
| | |-+  central repository for fan content
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: central repository for fan content  (Read 4150 times)
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2013, 03:27:57 PM »

I don't think that Joomla is at all appropriate to what we're trying to do here.  What we want is a wiki.  Joomla is not a wiki, and trying to pretend it is will only end in frustration.  Also, I don't like the idea of having this thing be dependent on some person from the forums.  That situation is the reason we're not using the FCDB right now.  So, I feel like it should be hosted either by Crafty, with someone at Crafty having admin access (even if they never plan to use it); or it should be hosted at a third party site like wikia, in which case it may or may not be appropriate to have someone from Crafty with admin access.

As far as what software is appropriate, I would recommend Mediawiki or Docuwiki, in that order.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2013, 12:35:04 PM »

What sort of space does a wiki install take up? How big is the current one?

tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2013, 02:21:25 PM »

The mediawiki download is 18 MB.  Unpacked and installed, probably ~30 MB.  Presumably the system already has PHP, a SQL server and a webserver installed, but if not then that's another 200 to 300 MB.

Once it's installed, pages should be several KB each.  For example, the Wikipedia article on Abraham Lincoln is a large and much edited page.  It is 146 KB.  The article for Pantego, Texas is fairly small and not much edited.  It is 10 KB.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
pawsplay