Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 10:58:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Wiki Development
| | |-+  [New Wiki]What are we trying to build here?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Poll
Question: What are we trying to build here?
[Content] Opt in: Only you can wiki your forum material   -9 (16.1%)
[Content] Opt out: Anyone can wiki forum material as the need/desire arises   -10 (17.9%)
[Access] User authentication: Anyone who has proved to admin they're human can add wiki material   -14 (25%)
[Access] Quality control: Only specifically designated people may add wiki content   -4 (7.1%)
[Editing] Existing content should be largely sacrosanct   -5 (8.9%)
[Editing] Content should be edited as needed   -14 (25%)
Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: [New Wiki]What are we trying to build here?  (Read 8976 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »

Moving away from tools for a moment, one of the first things we have to settle I think is what exactly it is that we're looking to build here.

There are 6 options here, with a vote each, and you can change your vote. This isn't binding, just intended to help us see where we're at.

What follows are my views on the subject. If people have opposing views, please post so folks can make an informed decision.

Access
Clearly there's the need to stop spammers coming in and messing up the place.  I'm a fan of the minimalist approach here: once folk have been carded, the only thing the admins should be doing is keeping the sandbox in order.  Provided folks aren't hurling the sand out of the box or taking a dump, what the kiddies make out the sand shouldn't have anything to do with them.

Content
The FCDB was a neatly packaged idea that serviced folks outside the Crafty community and pointed them here to the coalface, but it wasn't what you'd call a living thing.  I've stated before that I feel the purpose and utility of a wiki lies in making access to and utilisation of the fruits of the forum easier for everyone.  The Site's TOS and the OGL function such that we surrender any exclusive claim to the content we post, so that it's absolutely fairgame for one user to wikify suitibly attributed material another person has posted to the forum while a 3rd can make stylistic alterations to that entry.
      Insisting that only a single given person can move "their" content -- which may have had several significant contributors up to this point -- from forum to wiki is counterintuitive given the broadly collaborative ethos of LTI.  It's also counterproductive both for the people who want to use it or to build upon it. That said, I think most people are unlikely to start wikiing work that hasn't reached critical mass and without announcing their desire to do so.

Editing
The whole point of a wiki is the community working together to generate a complex, living document.  Now clearly the "Don't be a douchewad" rule is in effect here: we're all (hopefully) mature enough to respect the wishes and efforts of others.  If someone's work has been wikied and they'd like it presented differently, they have every right to act on that desire or ask the original editor to do so.  That doesn't include vandalising or removing the original pages just because of a difference of opinion

pawsplay