Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 11:41:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Elantris
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elantris  (Read 620 times)
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:57:47 PM »

I'm just finishing Elantris right now. Just 100 pages to go and I'll be finished with the first (second in my reading order) piece of art by Brandon Sanderson. Really, this guy is a ******* genius. As I said about Mistborn, he makes me love fantasy novels again. Anyway, I was wondering if anything was planned regarding Elantris as a possible campaign setting? Since it is more classic fantasy than Mistborn, though full of surprises, maybe could it be easily powered by Fantasy Craft? Any clues, thoughts?
Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:52 PM »

i agree totally. One of the good things about Sanderson it's the way he develops the magic systems. This setting was very interesting-

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Doublebond
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 10:29:39 PM »

I'm just finishing Elantris right now. Just 100 pages to go and I'll be finished with the first (second in my reading order) piece of art by Brandon Sanderson. Really, this guy is a ******* genius. As I said about Mistborn, he makes me love fantasy novels again. Anyway, I was wondering if anything was planned regarding Elantris as a possible campaign setting? Since it is more classic fantasy than Mistborn, though full of surprises, maybe could it be easily powered by Fantasy Craft? Any clues, thoughts?

I've also considered the idea. I'm no game smith, however, so I haven't looked into it much. The magic system is the biggest hurdle to overcome in adapting the setting, though there's also the fact that magic users in the setting are shown as being inarguably stronger than normal people. In other words: the setting is naturally biased towards magic users.

It all comes down to the fact that you can make a good story without everything being balanced, but it is not in any way easy to replicate that with a good experience in an RPG. You'd never see an RPG adaptation of Watchmen, for example (for those who haven't heard of it, Watchmen is a graphic novel which features one character who is a literal god among a cast otherwise composed entirely of totally ordinary people), but that doesn't stop it from being a great read.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 05:02:37 PM by Doublebond » Logged
pawsplay