Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 03:31:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  The Funny Books: Comics news, reviews & reactions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Funny Books: Comics news, reviews & reactions  (Read 13813 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:35:51 PM »

Turns out that DC have had the X-Files license for a year or so.

(click to show/hide)

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 11:54:28 AM »

Can the Mandarin really be Iron Man's arch-nemesis?

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:22 AM »

JMS Talks Wonder Woman's New Look and New Direction

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »

Well-reasoned arguments on both sides, and this article produced my quote of the day: "...at least in terms of Iron Man's position as a frequent catspaw of and ideological stalking horse for American imperial ambition, the Mandarin is 100% in the right - if Tony Stark is going to climb into his one-man weapon of mass destruction suit and carry out thermonuclear gunboat diplomacy writ large, he deserves to get his ass kicked."

Love the new costume, and I hope editorial realizes how much easier it makes any film adaptation. I really like the reasoning behind it, especially the feminine angle, which is something that's honestly been lacking in almost the whole of the character's existence.

I'm struck a bit, however, by the stark similarities between this new timeline and... that of a certain boy wonder in the same continuity. Perhaps that's intentional and JMS plans to utilize the parallel to great effect, but if he does I hope he gets to it relatively early in the run.

And this produced my second favorite quote of the day: "There's a rule of writing: if everything is funny, nothing is funny; if everything is sad, nothing is sad. You want that contrast. Here, if everything is mythic, nothing is mythic. It's all about contrast."

I had this argument  all the time in my early days in the industry, mostly with editorial but sometimes with fans as well. It's one I don't have much anymore. Hopefully that means the creative medium, and those who make and appreciate it, are growing up a bit.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:28:11 PM »

I have serious issues with the bolero jacket -- it looks dumb and has no practical application, because if as he says the intent is for her to be able to cover up the cherry red bustier, it really needs to be able to cover all of it, not leave her midrift exposed. As it is, all it does is cover the bare back left by her top.

tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »

I really want to like Wonder Woman's new getup, but the jacket ... It's about 15 years too late. I'd love to see her get more use out of the Hoplite-looking armor-and-skirt she occasionally dons when it's time to really put the hurt on someone.

For a terrific look at the Mandarin, pick up Invincible Iron Man Annual #1, out today. Matt Fraction continues to really get Tony/IM and his circumstances, and if this one-shot is any indication, he's going to do good things with our favorite descended-from-Genghis-Khan technology-as-magic warlord.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

I'd tell an ebola joke here, BUT YOU WON'T GET IT.
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 01:51:23 AM »

I have serious issues with

For some reason it does not surprise me. Wink

Reapercussions
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 09:23:46 AM »

I have serious issues with the bolero jacket -- it looks dumb and has no practical application, because if as he says the intent is for her to be able to cover up the cherry red bustier, it really needs to be able to cover all of it, not leave her midrift exposed. As it is, all it does is cover the bare back left by her top.

Really? It's far more practical than 98 percent of the female costumes out there. The rest tends to make the ladies look like prostitutes (not that there's anything wrong with that on a pure aesthetics level, but on a practical level... yeah.)

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »

The bar is so low in many cases that even an impractical improvement still rates as an actual improvement.

Even a few tweeks improves the redesign no end

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:47:02 AM »

The bar is so low in many cases that even an impractical improvement still rates as an actual improvement.

I prefer the larger/longer gauntlets, but those short jackets are retarded.  Armored boots would be groovy.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »

I prefer the larger/longer gauntlets, but those short jackets are retarded.  Armored boots would be groovy.

Armored boots have that certain something, like not only are you going to get into trouble, but you're going to put your feet somewhere they really shouldn't be -into a toxic flood, through windows, up a titan's rectum, whatever. They're just....awesome. =]
Plus, hey, ankle support and possibly kneepads. Nothing wrong with either.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 02:06:12 PM »

« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:08:25 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 01:41:54 PM »

Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 08:39:15 AM »

"If you want to use our imags, upload them to tinypic or osmething, to not waste our bandwidth. Thanks."

I'm assuming the original link was not a public service announcement? Wink

Reapercussions
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 08:49:44 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: