Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 01:20:35 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  The Funny Books: Comics news, reviews & reactions
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Funny Books: Comics news, reviews & reactions  (Read 14609 times)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2012, 05:30:56 AM »

That was brilliant.
Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: July 13, 2012, 12:20:16 AM »

Neil Gaiman announces he will be doing new Sandman comics.

Nothing can top this.  If you're at SDCC, just go home now.  Shut it down.  There is nothing left to accomplish.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 13, 2012, 03:24:51 AM »

Neil Gaiman announces he will be doing new Sandman comics.

Nothing can top this.  If you're at SDCC, just go home now.  Shut it down.  There is nothing left to accomplish.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

There should be a Like button on life, this put a smile on my whole day!
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 13, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »

I dunno, I loved Sandman and all, but continuing the story seems kinda... well, lets just say I was excited for the second Matrix movie until it came out.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Number Three
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: July 14, 2012, 01:09:36 AM »

I dunno, I loved Sandman and all, but continuing the story seems kinda... well, lets just say I was excited for the second Matrix movie until it came out.

A better word for it would be a prequel.  Gaiman says it's the story of what happened just before Sandman #1, which would explain how an all powerful personification of an aspect of human existence was able to be summoned and bound by mere mortals.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2012, 04:08:18 AM »

http://toobusythinkingboutcomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/on-wonder-woman-7.html

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2012/03/26/she-has-no-head-is-the-destruction-of-the-amazons-the-destruction-of-feminism-in-dc-comics/

The reboot somewhat controversially turned Wonder Woman's sole title into a horror book. Starting with a strong first issue, it soon got busy drastically rewriting her status quo in ways that DC would never dream of visiting on Batman and Superman. The culmination of this has been to turn the Amazons -- who have for now have constantly suffered indignity after indigity at the hands of DC -- from a female-empowering society of immortal artists and warrior philosophers into a society of murderously emasculating modern-primative sirens embodying pretty much every single negative aspect the woman-hating ancient Greek propaganda machine ever threw at the concept.

Any positive aspect they once possessed seems to have now been invested in the society created amongst the baby boys they trade to the god Happhestus to become his (effectively enslaved) forge workers in return for the weapons and implements the women themselves now seem unable to produce on their own.

All of that and Haephestus is suddenly a Morlock.
Welp, guess there's still Empowered.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2012, 04:13:43 AM »

Poor, poor Cyclops.
Where's the love?
Seems like he's just the Schmuck of the comics Decade these days.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2012, 12:16:34 AM »

I really wish I was at Comicon right now so I could punch that douchebag Dan Didio in the throat. He is a malignant cancer in the vitals of DC comics.

Brian Q. Miller was allowed -- a full month ago in no lesser a publication than TV Guide -- to reveal that  fan-favourite character Stephanie Brown was going to appear in his Smallville Season 11 comic as Nightwing to newly introduced Bruce Wayne's Batman, news accompanied by art. Fans of Steph were excited and looking forward to reading the title, if they werenít already fans.

Now, come Comic-Con, probably the biggest industry related event, it startd with a strong rumour that Steph is getting pulled and replaced with Barbara Gordon. When asked, the VP of marketing stated that they were unaware of both the rumour of her replacement -- or the one that she was going to be in the comic in the first place.

A day later, Dan DiDio himself says, "If we[re going to introduce guest characters into the Smallville universe, we want to introduce the most recognizable characters, like Barbara Gordon, Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne."

Which is, quite frankly, a pretty poor excuse considering the all the lesser known characters that Smallville showcased during its television run.

So now fans of Stephanie Brown, who were a month ago committing themselves to buying Smallville S11, are left debating on if they should even bother spending their money, because frankly they donít want to give their hard-earned money to DC Comics for yanking their collective chains. However, DC's MO in the past makes it clear that they've pretty much fucked BQM: if Smallville's sale numbers drop with any significance for that issue -- having baited Steph's fans with a confirmed appearance, and then royally pissed them off by pulling her out of the book in a public confirmation at the biggest comic book convention of the year -- the blame will be placed squarely on his shoulders thus giving DC the leeway to replace the writer or cancel Smallville S11 altogether with "justifiable cause".

This is, after all, the same company that gave the Cassandra Cain version of Batgirl over to a writer who proceeded to brutally character assassinate her, then blamed the drastically tanking sales numbers of the mini series on the "clear unpopularity of the character amongst the general public and fans alike" as a final move in the plan to shunt the character into limbo and put Babs back in spande (a bullet temporarily dodged at the last minute by giving the role over to Steph before finally axing her for Babs in the DCnU).

Number Three
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2012, 09:51:16 AM »

I guess it also speaks of DC incompetence that they didn't save the Sandman announcement until Saturday, when the tsunami of squeeing would have drowned out missteps like this.  Makes you wonder what kind of blackmail Dido has on the board of Warner Brothers.

[Edit: Can't spell "blackmail".]
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:11:08 AM by Number Three » Logged

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2012, 11:05:49 AM »

Many of DCs actions lately have left me with the same question:  What the hell are the people in charge thinking?  Ignoring the blatantly stupid shit (every female redesign, the Batgirl failures, ignoring the best character developments in their product history) they even manage to fuck up the good ideas.

New 52 seemed like such a good idea - tabula rasa that shit, and start from scratch with a coherient and purpose built setting for all the lines.  Instead it's just an excuse to have a bunch of "Issue 1"s on the shelf, and, in many cases, carries on from the old lines anyway (thus almost completely negating it's reason for existence).  The new books in the New 52 are also stupid - The Dark Knight ("you can call me One-Face") - WTF DC?

Plus Alan Scott?  Terrible idea (in oh-so-many ways*).  While the effort was good (way behind, but still, at least there's an effort) if you want to claim to be progressive you need to have an icon as your progressive character.  Not someone that casual readers and non-fans aren't even aware of (most people I know are only aware of 2 Lanterns, and Alan Scott isn't one of them).  Make, like, Batman gay and you'll impress.

* The only gay male character in your line-up has a weakness to wood...  Did no one at DC think that one through?  Someone there had to have put two and two together, which means the descision was in poor taste.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2012, 03:40:25 PM »

Nah, that's just juvinile,

Giving him a weakness to clams or cats or mellons would be in poor taste.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Gentry