Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 04, 2015, 12:57:52 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Music For A Steampunk Land War?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Music For A Steampunk Land War?  (Read 284 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2015, 04:59:55 PM »

Okay... punting this - aside from classical music and one Enya song... I am drawing a complete blank for background/theme music for a ground military SteamCraft game.

Classical music wise -
Dance of the Knights
Totentanz for Piano and Orchestra
Messa da Requiem
Requiem Mass in D Minor (several movements)

Enya's Tepus Vernum (a strangely martial piece of music, until you realize that spring is the traditional time for the troops to start marching - March belongs to Mars).

There is also Marching Through the Green Grass.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qELvSJjxeI

My music is more often naval than land based....

There is some WWI music that I could use, but it feels like cheating. (*EDIT* Though, technically, Will Ye Come ta Flanders isn't a WWI tune, so it passes, uhm, muster.)

The Auld Grump
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 05:09:15 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 07:10:51 PM »

This Vourteque guy claims some steampunk space.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:58:13 AM »

Vernian Process - Mars, Bringer of War

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 09:43:17 AM »

I need to listen to the soundtrack for The Man Who Would Be King, maybe that will help.

And look for some Kipling set to music.

For some reason this was so much easier when I was coming up with music for a French & Indian War (well, Elf and Orc War) Pathfinder campaign....

I think my musical tastes may be skewed....

To add to the matter, I am not using a different world than my usual Victorian fantasy - no magic, and with a few big stompy machines towering over the PBI. (I set an arbitrary price on the stompies - it costs as much to field one as it does 10,000 men.)

And it spends a third of its time in the shop (steam engines are like that - though I am going to go with a caloric engine instead - less efficient, but far safer).

So, a unit will be three, but under normal circumstances only two will be on the field at a time, and often there will be only one, accompanied by infantry.

I am waffling on the theater - part of me wants it to be a three sided cluster feth in India - Great Britain, Russia, and United Germany. (I am killing off both Von Bismark and Willhelm I - together they were to smart to get into this kind of mess.) The Russians will be playing a game of politics and intrigue - not fielding troops in the first several years, but manipulating Britain and Germany against each other.

Another part of me wants to pick on Belgium. (When Germany and Great Britain go to war it is France and Belgium that get trodden into muck.) A simpler outline, but I like the idea of India more, I think. (Plus, I already have a notebook from when I was doing a Great Game campaign.)

I have a working framework for the invention of the mechs - The designer of the first Land Leviathans was John Ericsson - Swedish naval engineer.... While contracted by the US Army to design a combat frame for an advanced infantry support vehicle, the Army defaulted on the design, leaving Ericsson with a design, a working prototype, and a dislike for working with the US. (John Ericsson was the real world designer of the USS Monitor - and he really did have problems with the US defaulting on designs... he had to be courted to work on the Monitor.)

Also waffling on whether to allow a Transmech PC - with some modifications for the period. (And a required Personal Lieutenant feat - the Expeditionary Force is not allowing an expensive piece of equipment wonder around on its own.... The PL is technically in charge of the PC....)

When a Transmech is used as a vehicle there are going to be a lot of Strength based rolls - I am picturing the control harness as something akin to a Marionette - connected to wrists, elbows, knees, shoulders, and waist... with chain. Mechanical linkages, that need some hefty hauling to transmit to the Mech's limbs. Hot, sweaty... coal fed pressure engine, and in the heat of India....  Evil Heatstroke and dehydration a very real threat.

Mechs, self aware or vehicular, are property of the Crown. Freedom, citizenship, or any warrant above Sergeant are not options.

Ah, well... lots of time to think on this one....

The Auld Grump, it's forty shillings on the drum, for those that volunteer to come....

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »

To 'list and fight the foe today; Over the Hills and far away

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 10:26:37 AM »

Over the hill, and over the main.
To Flanders, Portugal, and Spain....

One of the other things that I want the game to reflect - the mechs are a technological cusp - and tactics... they don't really know how to use them yet. (In the earliest part of the war, the rank and file will... be in ranks and files....)

The same mistake was made in the French and Indian War, the Civil War, and WWI....

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 05:43:36 PM »

Alexander Mosolov - Iron Foundry

The Protagonist - Strife (May become the main theme.)

Found them on a free download by Vernian Process that I have had for years.

The Auld Grump

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:17:21 PM »

How anachronistic are you allowing? Like are modern styles or instrumentss completely out?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 04:27:04 PM »

I am going for verisimilitude, not verity. Smiley

If it feels right, then it will work.

Strife, for example, was intended for a WWII feeling.

In most ways, I am looking at WWI breaking out early - and without the Serbians.

Bismark and Willhelm are being assassinated, still trying to figure out who the stalking horse new Kaiser will be. (The Kaiser and the person in charge will not be the same person.)

So... think steampunk, not the real 1888.

For some reason, the song that i keep playing when I am thinking things through for this mess is completely inappropriate, setting wise - Tom's Gone To Hilo.

I want the feeling of men that are far from home, and do not know if the will live to see nightfall.

Sharpe's Rifles, Horatio Hornblower, The Man Who Would Be King....

Slow going on this, anyway - and several games before then. (Next up to short Pathfinder games (three sessions each) and two sessions for a steampunk Changeling: the Dreaming scenario. Then my regular Pathfinder and Airship Pirates games.... This will be my first SteamCraft game in over a year.)

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 04:34:29 PM »

Impartial (The Battle) by The Clockwork Dolls.

The Auld Grump

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:34:45 PM »

So this would work for you?

Oh, for your pirate game:

Seven Deadly Sins
Tobacco Island
Devil's Dance Floor
Salty Dog
Queen Anne's Revenge

Oh, I forgot about this. It's a little more obviously modern though.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:53:12 PM by Krensky » Logged

RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 06:05:07 PM »

Have you tried checking out the soundtrack from Rise of Legends, in particular the Vinci faction? Admittedly it might be tricky trying to sort through...

Then there's Modern Warfare... er, The Order: 1886, particularly Airborne Pursuit and Commandeered.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: