Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2014, 08:34:45 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  [Books] Digital Divide
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Books] Digital Divide  (Read 293 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:33:40 PM »

I don't know if anybody here reads the webcomic A Girl And Her Fed - a little comic about cyborgs, civil liberties, and the ghost of Benjamin Franklin - but a few months back the author put out a novel in the same setting. The book is titled The Digital Divide - though it has been out for months I just picked it up yesterday.

Both the book and the webcomic are excellent fodder for a Spycraft campaign.

Essentially the very beginnings of a cyberpunk world - five years ago a group of five hundred agents are given implants that tie them into a single communications and intelligence network.

Unfortunately, there are... side effects, mostly in the form of the interface. The side effects are dealt with by the administration of large quantities of drugs. Which also have side effects.

The agents are given make work jobs - too drugged and too distracted by the interface to be useful, or even to function in a normal fashion.

At the beginning of the comic there are many fewer agents than started in the project.

The Fed is given the job of watching the Girl for the Department of Homeland Security - she is not suspected of having committed any crimes, she is merely a Person of Interest.

The job goes pear shaped when she realizes that somebody has been going through her mail.

Hilarity ensues....

The novel centers around Rachel Peng - a minor character in the comic.

Another five years have passed since the beginning of the comic. The surviving members of the project have gone public.

Rachel Peng has been seconded to the Washington D.C. Metro police.

And a series of crimes that may have ties to the project has just escalated to murder....

The villain is an excellent example of Mastermind - organized, and a planner, with multiple fallback strategies....

Well worth the $5, whether purchased on Smashwords or Kindle.

A second series has been begun, which the author refers to as 'Josh Smut' - the adventures of Josh Glassman, cyborg, adventurer, man about town, and bon vivant. A call back to the 'spicy' spy fiction of the '60s. (I have not purchased this one yet... but, ummm... in the comic Josh is kind of a slut....)

The Auld Grump
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 10:35:19 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »

"Eucalyptus and.....sea salt!"

Took me a sec, but zomg much lol'ing was heard.

“VELOCITAS, INCURSIO, VIS” -Latin for “Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action!”
(Thank you Grrl Power).
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 11:38:11 PM »

"Eucalyptus and.....sea salt!"

Took me a sec, but zomg much lol'ing was heard.
[Pat Mulcahy] Ewwww! Tongue

Yeah... Speedy... ummm... has spunk, yeah.  Undecided

It is very interesting seeing how the art style has changed over the years - Ms. Spangler has redrawn some of those strips three times, with improvements each time. (And my, does she mock the older art in her print volume of A Girl & Her Fed - Rise Up Swearing.) I rather like the fact that she has left the older art available to look at and compare.

The Auld Grump

*EDIT*

« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:52:21 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 12:59:11 AM »

Also the writing is frickin' terrific.
"These days Occam's Razor is simply Occam's pump-action shotgun" -Speedy.

Not every punchline is funny, but no comic has yet to make me feel repulsed and that I appreciate greatly.

“VELOCITAS, INCURSIO, VIS” -Latin for “Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action!”
(Thank you Grrl Power).
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:41:52 PM »

Well, I have read the pr0n.... The Russians Came Knocking, first in the Josh Glassman series.

Yep... there was raunchiness. I will admit to skipping those sections, and, leaving them out.... I am not at all sure that this story actually happens in the setting - the main character, Josh Glassman, spins stories; he mixes truth and fiction on a regular basis. It is entirely possible that this whole thing is nothing but a story that he is writing to interest and excite his wife.

That said... I liked the Russian Mafioso, I liked that Josh is an unreliable narrator, I like that the evil plot starts falling apart on its own....

But... I did not like it as much as Digital Divide.

That said, at 99 cents... not a bad purchase.

The Auld Grump, but the author does apologize for the squirrels.

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 09:27:08 PM »

Awaken, o' slumbering topic!

The first nine chapters of book 2 of the Rachel Peng series is available as a free download - you can find links in the comments section of the comic - here. I would have given a more direct link, but there are two versions - PDF and Mobi. And the page with the downloads is kinda wonky, the commentary under the comic also explains that a bit. (Essentially, the page is asking for a donation, not a payment. A payment of 0 allows you to get the download.)

I look forward to reading the whole book.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 01:09:38 AM »

Maker Space is now live, I am saving it to my Kobo as I write. (I love my Kobo - but the desktop software is ssslllooowww....)

The Auld Grump 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: