Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2015, 06:24:26 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Power Armor? Power Armor
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Power Armor? Power Armor  (Read 965 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 05:27:33 PM »

I'd probably describe this as being a real world version of the Dynalar/Zetatech Grasshopper rather than the Stark Industries Iron Man armor, but that's sort of an obscure reference.

Props to those who know it.
I had to go look it up, but that seems an accurate assessment.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 03:31:43 PM »

So the TALOS prototypes should be delivered sometime this month.  Anyone hoping they actually release photos?

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 09:40:22 PM »

Y'know, I'll admit that I am a bit afraid that the real TALOS will not look as cool as stuff I've seen in pop culture.  Turns out one of the top pop culture designers is actually helping out.  I'm still a little leery, considering this is a real life military project, and those have such an awesome track record.  Gotta keep the hope alive, though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:33:24 PM by RusVal » Logged

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »

*Sigh* I really am spoiled by sci-fi, you know.  Even on the clunky end of the power armor spectrum, you get little gems like this beauty:

(click to show/hide)

And what do we get in actual real life?  Robotic arm and leg braces.  Though I get that there is a process that needs to be gone through.  We wouldn't have F-22 fighter jets today if the Wright brothers hadn't flown around a motorized kite, after all.  And there is some progress.  Though by the time the stuff I've been waiting for actually comes, I'm gonna need one just to move around.  Tongue

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »

Not to be mean, but nothing human could wear that armor. His arms have either been ripped out of their socket or are tucked into the torso... except the torso isn't big enough for that. And that knee to ankle length is terrifying. Though maybe his foot is supposed to be in the flared portion at the bottom of the shin.

Honestly I can't wait for some real power armor so drawing them like their external proportions are human-like will finally stop.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »

Yeah, the closest we might get would, at best, look like Shirow's Landmates in Appleseed.

It is important to remember that after its available even expert operators like Dunan and Briarios hover skim with the antigrav system because running in the is really fixing dangerous because it's so easy to dislocate the landmate's hips which will quite possibiliy result in severing both of your legs.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:06:34 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 02:29:03 PM »

Not to be mean, but nothing human could wear that armor. His arms have either been ripped out of their socket or are tucked into the torso... except the torso isn't big enough for that. And that knee to ankle length is terrifying. Though maybe his foot is supposed to be in the flared portion at the bottom of the shin.

Honestly I can't wait for some real power armor so drawing them like their external proportions are human-like will finally stop.

Ya think so, eh?

(click to show/hide)

Carlos from CB (1:07:00) was particularly proud of the way they pulled it off.  
On the other hand, power armor's rarely enough to protect you from... Matthew McConaughey!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 02:35:43 PM by RusVal » Logged

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 02:47:48 PM »

Ya think so, eh?

I do. Move the arm in ANY direction from that pose - there's an armor joint lined up with the middle of his humerus Smiley. Especially towards the post in the initial picture. Nice to see the leg placement though. Points for that.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: