Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2015, 06:38:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Life, the World, and Everything. (Social Issues)  (Read 11213 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #690 on: May 01, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »

I'm not following you here.  The impact of arms control laws in other countries would seem to be extremely consequential to the debate.  Please elaborate.
Mostly because other countries have culture, size, and other issues that make direct comparisons between say, the US and the UK or Mexico not very helpful.  The US is as large as Europe.  Comparing most European countries to US states makes more sense to me, and even then we have individual states.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: May 01, 2015, 10:54:48 AM »

Mostly because other countries have culture, size, and other issues that make direct comparisons between say, the US and the UK or Mexico not very helpful.  The US is as large as Europe.  Comparing most European countries to US states makes more sense to me, and even then we have individual states.

I agree ... which may seem contradictory with my previous statement.  However, since Valentina mentioned a need for verifiable data, I'm curious as to why it would be seen as inconsesquential.  If they have data, then let's take a look at it and see if it fits with the US.  

As you pointed out, such solutions are unlikely to be a good fit for the US.  Texas is roughly three times the size of the UK with roughly 1/3 the population.  Trying to use a UK solution in Texas is unlikely to function in the same way.  Not to mention that you still have 49 other states to deal with.

EDIT: the word "other" seemed important.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:32:50 PM by ludomastro » Logged

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #692 on: May 01, 2015, 09:03:18 PM »

Ban big cities?  But seriously.  The FBI says that in most jurisdictions, an average of 48% of violent crime is gang related.  These gangs tend to be fighting over drug related activities.  The easy way to end it is to get narcotics out of the black market by legalizing them.  Disputes are solved in court, there is less violence in the streets, and folks can get help without having to admit they are/were criminals.  I don't see a downside.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: May 02, 2015, 09:17:50 AM »

Ban big cities?  But seriously.  The FBI says that in most jurisdictions, an average of 48% of violent crime is gang related.  These gangs tend to be fighting over drug related activities.  The easy way to end it is to get narcotics out of the black market by legalizing them.  Disputes are solved in court, there is less violence in the streets, and folks can get help without having to admit they are/were criminals.  I don't see a downside.

So, deal with the criminals, perhaps even enforce the laws that we already have, rather than create new ones?

Radical.  Might work though.  Just need to find some spines.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: May 02, 2015, 04:45:32 PM »

Really radical idea:  Repeal the laws that do not have the intended effect.

Gun control doesn't reduce violent crime?  Dump it.
Banning drugs doesn't even make the price drop?  Legalize them.  (Don't tax them so much that you create new black markets.  Looking at you New York City and the taxes that are so high it is worth smuggling from Virginia and causing street violence over who gets to sell where.)
IDEFK what problem banning prostitution is supposed to solve.  But if you want to reduce human trafficking you have to make sure the trafficked don't need to confess to being criminals to get help.

We should probably also cut the 72,000+ page federal tax code by about 90% too.

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: