Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 19, 2014, 08:02:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Gear and Weapons art
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gear and Weapons art  (Read 3667 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 12:34:49 PM »

If we did an illustration of this sort, it would be to show coverage and examples of no v. light v. heavy fittings - NOT any particular style of armor.
That by itself would be very handy.   Smiley

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 01:21:04 PM »

If we did an illustration of this sort, it would be to show coverage and examples of no v. light v. heavy fittings - NOT any particular style of armor.
That by itself would be very handy.   Smiley

I thought that might be what you were looking for Smiley

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
@stroVal
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 06:04:38 PM »

--themes of Fantasy Craft - good art representing a smorgasboard of time periods, technology levels and fantasical-ness without locking us down down to any Era, historical reference, setting, or technology type.--

that in my humble opinion is the best way to go about it; and who better suited for the task than Mr McSweeney who has already given form to FantasyCraft into our imagination's worlds ?
 Besides any more specific designs(racial,character wielded ,artifacts etc) should be delivered by the role-players themselves(I am sure every group has at least one person who is skilled to some degree in drawing and art) Then there's item cards out there,photos on the net,books after books...and for the fanatic sword/armour collector GM even items from his/her collection could be used within a campaign(well not as in actually battling with them ;p ..you get the picture)

But..that said..we do need a basis for FC...so I am looking forward to 'Gear of the Ages' (among other reasons than simply its art off course)
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2010, 06:28:54 PM »

..we do need a basis for FC...
What basis?
agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »

I'm with Scott.  I prefer text over illustrations especially for non specific setting supplement.  If the item is exotic but it has a real world counterpart, I can either get a good picture through a description or I can just as easily look it up on the internet and get the image.  However, if it is an item that is more imaginary then I would agree that an illustration would be better served unless the written description does a good job of getting the image across.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

We have all the time in the world.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2010, 07:51:02 PM »

You know, illustration is the single highest expense in a book... Tongue

Actually, it's printing, but art is a close second. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
@stroVal
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 11:51:43 AM »

..we do need a basis for FC...
What basis?

I meant that there is a need for a page containing art for at least the most common weapons and armour.
You would be surprised of how many newcomers to rpgs expected that and pointed out when I was showing them the book(doing my propaganda so we can all buy it and covert from 3.5 ;p)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »

That is something I sort of liked in the 3.x PHB - the page with all the armours side by side, and what they were underneath them.

Edit: I'm not in the business of commissioning art, but a single pic of half a dozen suits can't be too expensive, right?
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 01:58:02 PM »

Edit: I'm not in the business of commissioning art, but a single pic of half a dozen suits can't be too expensive, right?

Depending on the level of detail, a picture of that nature could get very large rather quickly.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »

Depending on the level of detail, a picture of that nature could get very large rather quickly.

I was thinking something like this:

Make it the width of the page, at the bottom, and put in text saying "Padded, Leather, Scale, etc".  But I know what you're saying.  I found this on a page about dwarves, which will explain the odd proportions.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »

Make it the width of the page, at the bottom, and put in text saying "Padded, Leather, Scale, etc".  But I know what you're saying.  I found this on a page about dwarves, which will explain the odd proportions.
AND explain the levels of fittings and cost implications thereof.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 03:58:34 PM »

Do we really have to explain basic math?

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2010, 09:27:48 PM »

Either it's more complicated than you think or I'm dumber than my fiancee thinks, so yes, please.

(The above situations are not mutually exclusive.)

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 11:20:35 PM »

I've come across a few people who think fittings are "upgrades" so they don't factor their cost into the armours  base cost - so when they add say Fitted, Blessed, and Dwarven Construction they only add +175% to the base cost of their armour [say its chainmail - they go 250s + 175% = 688 + 75s = 763s, instead of 250 + 75s = 325s + 175% = 894s].

I even wondered myself what the rule was for a few minutes upon first reading the book - then decided that I essentially have to upgrade the fittings too to benefit from the upgrade properly.  At least that was my logical process.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 02:39:16 AM »

Personally, I figured it worked like MTS. Additive costs, then multiplicative ones.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: