Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 03, 2014, 02:50:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Dragon Disciple conversion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dragon Disciple conversion  (Read 1542 times)
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:11 AM »

Open for feedback.

Dragon Disciple

BAB medium
Fort high
Ref low
Will high
Def med
Init low
Lifestyle low
Legend medium
SP medium

Requirements: Draconic Heritage feat, Intimidate 6+ ranks, Spellcasting 4+ ranks, Language (Draconic)

1: dragonhide, draconic sorcery
2: Tooth and claw I
3: ability increase
4: Circle of power I, draconic senses
5: bonus feat
6: Dragon unleashed
7: Tooth and claw II, ability increase
8: Circle of power II, greater breath
9: bonus feat
10: Dragon apotheosis

Class Features:
Favored Attributes: Intelligence, Strength, Charisma
Caster: Each level in this class increases your Casting Level by 1.
Class Skills: Crafting, Impress, Intimidate, Investigate, Notice, Resolve, Search, Tactics
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 12 + Con modifier per level

Core Ability
Draconic Sorcery: You gain Spell Power as a bonus feat. Additionally, you may count Species feats as Spellcasting feats any time that number is used.

Dragonhide: You are tougher than most creatures of your birth species. You gain thick hide 3.
Tooth and claw I: At Level 2, you gain Claw I and Bite I natural attacks.
Tooth and claw II: At Level 7, you gain an additional Claw I natural attack.
Ability increase: At level 3 and level 7, the higher of your Str or Int increase by 1.
Circle of power I: At Level 4, you may cast level 1 and lower spells you know.
Circle of power II: At Level 8, you may cast level 2 and lower spells you know.
Draconic seneses: At Level 4, you gain darkvision I and your maximum ranks in Notice increase to career level + 5.
Bonus feat At Level 5 and Level 9, you gain a bonus Species, Spellcasting, or Unarmed Combat feat.
Dragon unleashed: At Level 6, you gain Draconic Legacy and Truescale as bonus feats, ignoring level 1 and species prerequisites.
Greater breath: At 8th level, you gain Greater Breath as a bonus feat.
Dragon apothesis: At level 10, you are considered a dragon. You gain Mighty Breath as a bonus feat. Sleep is a never a terminal condition for you. You gain thick hide 3, and your Charisma increases by 1.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:10:24 AM »

Does anyone see any problems, particularly, what do you guys think of the level 6 ability? Is this a class that seems appealing? Should I add it to the wiki?
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:54:20 AM »

Draconic Heritage already gives you thick hide 3, so just put "your thick hide bonus increases by 1". Expert classes only have 3 requirements so I'd ditch intimidate. 7 feats is a lot, maybe trim those down.

What do you think of

Draconic Enlightenment: Once per round you may spend an action die to reduce the level of an Energy or Glory spell you know by 1.

1 Dragon Reborn I: You gain Claw I attack
2 The Golden Flame I: You gain an additional Spellcasting feat and your lifestyle increases by +1.
3 Dragon Reborn II: You gain an additional Claw I attack
4 Circle of Power I, Menacing Threat
5 Dragon Reborn III: You gain Bite I attack
6 You gain Draconic Legacy as a bonus feat.
7 Dragon Reborn IV: You gain Tail Snap I
The Golden Flame I: You gain an additional Spellcasting feat and your lifestyle increases by an additional +1 (for a total of +2).
8 Circle of Power II, Improved Senses (sight)
9 Dragon Reborn V: You gain Trample I
10 Your size and natural attacks increase by 2 grades. Additionally you gain Frenzy I.

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »

Draconic Heritage already gives you thick hide 3, so just put "your thick hide bonus increases by 1".

I could. I guess I was feeling clever.

Expert classes only have 3 requirements so I'd ditch intimidate. 7 feats is a lot, maybe trim those down.

Language (Draconic) is not what I would consider a steep requirement. Intimidate goes with menacing threat, and also favors the Sorcerer specialty.

What do you think of

Draconic Enlightenment: Once per round you may spend an action die to reduce the level of an Energy or Glory spell you know by 1.

Apart from slightly adjusting the DC, it looks like a less powerful version of the Mage's core ability.

1 Dragon Reborn I: You gain Claw I attack
2 The Golden Flame I: You gain an additional Spellcasting feat and your lifestyle increases by +1.
3 Dragon Reborn II: You gain an additional Claw I attack
4 Circle of Power I, Menacing Threat
5 Dragon Reborn III: You gain Bite I attack
6 You gain Draconic Legacy as a bonus feat.
7 Dragon Reborn IV: You gain Tail Snap I
The Golden Flame I: You gain an additional Spellcasting feat and your lifestyle increases by an additional +1 (for a total of +2).
8 Circle of Power II, Improved Senses (sight)
9 Dragon Reborn V: You gain Trample I
10 Your size and natural attacks increase by 2 grades. Additionally you gain Frenzy I.

I have a hard time with Frenzy on a PC. Also, trample feels odd, and would be not very useful for small and medium dragon disciples.

The lifestyle increases seem off to me. Isn't lifestyle progression already built into a class?
Jake
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:48:57 PM »

Apart from slightly adjusting the DC, it looks like a less powerful version of the Mage's core ability.

It lets the player use spells that are at a hire level than he could normally cast. Fireball I becomes a level 2 spell instead of 3, Divine Power becomes level 3. Very useful especially when the PC receives fewer Circle of Power abilities when compared to Mage.

I have a hard time with Frenzy on a PC.

Me too, but it's supposed to be a game breaker, just throwing it out there.

Also, trample feels odd, and would be not very useful for small and medium dragon disciples.

But at level 10 the PC's size goes up.

The lifestyle increases seem off to me. Isn't lifestyle progression already built into a class?

I like the LS bump, dragons are supposed to be hoarding treasure. The Lancer, Assassin, Gallant, and I think one other class gain renown bonuses, which are normally achieved through Reputation. Why not give a class a LS bonus?

Founding member of the 10kBLF (Ten Thousand Bullets Liberation Front).
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:34:41 AM »

The big question here is what are you trying to achieve with this Expert Class? Do Dragon Disciples have a particular place within the campaign world, or is this just a way for a PC to become more draconic?

If it is the latter, then what does this ExC achieve that the Draconic Heritage/Legacy feats do not?

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
pawsplay