Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 08:12:48 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Gear and Weapons art
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gear and Weapons art  (Read 3369 times)
@stroVal
Agent

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:39:02 PM »

While I understand the need for space , I would really like to see a weapons and armour page(and any other gear you deem necessary for that print) done by the talented illustrators of the FantasyCraft source-book(maybe a dedicated pdf with some new race-specific weapons?)
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 06:27:20 PM »

You'll see plenty of weapon illustrations in the forthcoming Gear for the Ages.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
@stroVal
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:38:57 AM »

Can't wait!
princekelwyn
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 03:50:45 PM »

I hope they are well researched and not made up straight from the artists' imagination.  I'm not particularly fond of a certain other company's tendency to draw goofy looking armor and weapons which oft-times bear very little resemblance to the actual thing
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »

I hope they are well researched and not made up straight from the artists' imagination.

There are quite a few examples in the main FC book, they're just worked into larger pieces.

As for made up weaponry, a little fantasy isn't a bad thing. I can't see too many people arguing with the Dwarven tooth-hammer (pg. 12) Wink

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:25:21 PM »

I hope they are well researched and not made up straight from the artists' imagination.  I'm not particularly fond of a certain other company's tendency to draw goofy looking armor and weapons which oft-times bear very little resemblance to the actual thing

Aaaaand this is why gear illustration in fantasy games is often an exercise in futility, especially a toolkit game - because it "defines" the look of gear. An Eberron style game may want a funky ornamented techno-fantasy look to its armor, while a strict dark ages game would want plain and grimy in the Western European style.

That said, I think there will be gear illustrations, probably with flavors of all different cultural styles and levels of fantasy-ness, but for those folks who want historically accurate stuff, there's plenty of internet and books on the subject to go 'round. As usual, we'll aim for an entertaining middle ground that fits our core aesthetic.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:30:50 PM »

What might be better is a comparison chart that lets you re-zero the scale to different periods/settings?

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 04:58:03 PM »

What might be better is a comparison chart that lets you re-zero the scale to different periods/settings?

You mean like 6 illustrations of a hammer with what it might look like in each era, and "high"/"low" fantasy?

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:27:59 PM »

Since a stat block can represent a range of weapons/items/gear rather than a singular archetypical exaple, I favor text descriptions over art. There is some inherant 'play' as the verbal and visual centers of the brain chit-chat over what is being described by words vs. what it must look like - flexibility that is a good thing in a game system. To do that in art you often do need several examples of a single stat block to drive home that that stat block is NOT 'just one thing'.

That plus art is a really expensive way of tying yourself down. When dealing with a single setting rather than a tool-kit, you might benefit from a strong singular style (or if your budget is extreme, perhaps one style per core culture...), but in a toolkit your paying for the privialege of limiting the utility of the product.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 08:52:32 PM »

You mean like 6 illustrations of a hammer with what it might look like in each era, and "high"/"low" fantasy?

I was thinking more along the lines of armour, as that's the thing that's the obvious choice for reusing the values there-of: all that really change would be the basic resistances, the range of DR would I guess remain constant between eras.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:32 AM »

What a set of chain with fittings looks like and costs?  Run the many permutations, illustrate, and cost them out, please.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »

What a set of chain with fittings looks like and costs?  Run the many permutations, illustrate, and cost them out, please.

You know, illustration is the single highest expense in a book... Tongue

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 11:54:17 AM »

This is not a surprise to hear.  Actually, how many pictures of historical armors are public domain?  I'm mostly curious about how the suits that I recall from the Met's Arms and Armor collection stat out.

Illustrations may only be necessary for some odd combinations of species and gear.  Maybe some notes detailing the gear in the illustrations y'all already have?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 12:25:35 PM »

Except those pictures were probably taken in the last 25 years, and thus fall under copyright claims.

I aim to misbehave.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:02 PM »

This is not a surprise to hear.  Actually, how many pictures of historical armors are public domain?  I'm mostly curious about how the suits that I recall from the Met's Arms and Armor collection stat out.

Illustrations may only be necessary for some odd combinations of species and gear.  Maybe some notes detailing the gear in the illustrations y'all already have?

Oh, I'm not saying we can't or won't illustrate something like this...however, we could never do it for everything. You want it for chain, but someone else won't know what articulated plate or ringmail looks like. And honestly - how many people don't know what chainmail looks like? Doing it for anything that includes the adjective "historical" only compounds expectations (and as you note, can be found on the web). If we did an illustration of this sort, it would be to show coverage and examples of no v. light v. heavy fittings - NOT any particular style of armor.

I would expect gear illustrations in Gear for the Ages to follow the same general themes of Fantasy Craft - good art representing a smorgasboard of time periods, technology levels and fantasical-ness without locking us down down to any Era, historical reference, setting, or technology type.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: