Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 05:01:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Movie News, Reviews and Reaction thread.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews and Reaction thread.  (Read 147909 times)
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:42:43 AM »

So, just like the TV thread I started before the move to the new forums (may do it again when the new season starts), I think we talk enough about movies that this may be successful. Any news, reviews, reactions about movies from spycraft fans might find their way here. If everyone likes it, the thread will survive, otherwise, it'll die a quiet death  Grin.

Anyway, to kick everything off, I just found out about G.I Joe the Movie.

Quote from: rotten tomatoes wrote
This just in: From the man who brought you the Mummy franchise comes the live-action adaptation of G. I. Joe!

Both IGN Movies and IESB reported over the weekend that Stephen Sommers, who wrote and directed the Mummy series and Van Helsing, will direct the Paramount-DreamWorks production.

Planned as a live-action film, G.I. Joe will be produced by Lorenzo Di Bonaventura, who also produced Hasbro's Transformers. Although IMDB lists G.I. Joe due in 2010, IGN reports that production may begin soon to avoid an impending Hollywood strike.

While there has been speculation as to what storylines the G.I. Joe film will follow, the reports assert that the script will combine both Skip Woods' (Swordfish) origin story and a script by David Elliot & Paul Lovett (Four Brothers).

Transformers has Giant Transforming Fighting Robots which had an appeal all its own completely separate from story and empathy. G.I Joe is about heroic soldiers, I'm not sure I like where this is headed.

Has anyone seen Stardust yet? Any good?

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 08:51:56 AM »

I heard that there may be no Cobra Commander and the terrorism element will be taken from it, Destro and the Dreadnocks (no mention of Zartan, Zarana or Zanzibar, or whatever their brother's name was) will be the baddies.

Man, if a studio really wanted to make a pro-American movie battling the Evils of terrorism this would be a great way to go. No one wants to take risks these days. (Unless Steve Guttenberg is casted into a role).

An origin story? Does G.I. Joe that has been around for over 30 years+ in some incarnation or another (Yes, I played with the original G.I. Joe dolls), need an origin story?

If the film makers have any sense (Judging by some of Sommers' decisions, maybe not) they would an old fashion Good vs. Evil story with a major Snake Eyes-Stormshadow subplot.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:51:07 AM »

I heard that there may be no Cobra Commander and the terrorism element will be taken from it, Destro and the Dreadnocks (no mention of Zartan, Zarana or Zanzibar, or whatever their brother's name was) will be the baddies.

So let me get this straight... A cartoon that's actually topical to what's happening now is getting adapted and they're dropping the topical stuff? Genius!

Man, if a studio really wanted to make a pro-American movie battling the Evils of terrorism this would be a great way to go. No one wants to take risks these days. (Unless Steve Guttenberg is casted into a role).

No kidding. It's custom-built to take a risk without taking one 'cause, you know, the terrorists in this one don't exist.

An origin story? Does G.I. Joe that has been around for over 30 years+ in some incarnation or another (Yes, I played with the original G.I. Joe dolls), need an origin story?

More importantly, if you're pulling Cobra, and apparently just going with a "covert tactical group" story, why do you need one at all? The origin could be as simple as the brass stamping "Approved" on a Classified folder during the opening credits...

If the film makers have any sense (Judging by some of Sommers' decisions, maybe not) they would an old fashion Good vs. Evil story with a major Snake Eyes-Stormshadow subplot.

Include Cobra (and the Commander). Ignore origin and dive right in. You're right on the money with the subplot.

This might be the biggest nostalgia franchise out there for the men's 18-34 demo. It could make bank if it respects the source.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 10:58:28 AM »

(Yes, I played with the original G.I. Joe dolls)
                                                        ^ Read: action figures.

The term "dolls" batters my already fragile masculinity into dust. Tongue

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 11:26:01 AM »

(Yes, I played with the original G.I. Joe dolls)
                                                        ^ Read: action figures.

The term "dolls" batters my already fragile masculinity into dust. Tongue

No, I still have my action figures... I had some of the original dolls (called the G.I. Joe Action Team), including the one with Kung-Fu grip and one with the infra-red eye, that you can look through (via the back of his head). I'm old.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
mirror
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 06:35:24 PM »

Has anyone seen Stardust yet? Any good?

Yes.  Eh, not a bad movie.  The ending was "Hokey" as the couple leaving the theatre behind me said.  De Niro was brilliant.  Pfeifer was great.  The main characters were so-so. 

But I may be a little biased as the book it is "based" on is one of my favorite works of fiction.  The changes that they made were mostly terrible in my opinion.  Maybe they were necessary to add a lot of action to the film but they strayed so far from the fairy-tale feel of the book to the fantasy-action film mold, that it left a really bad taste in my mouth.  I feel a little more strongly about the ending than just hokey, I am almost to the point that I feel it ruined the movie for me.

(click to show/hide)

- Wyrmstone Playtester
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 01:26:30 PM »

Uh oh. One of those cases where really enjoying/admiring the book leads to disappointment at the theatre? I really, really, like Stardust. Hmm, what to do, what to do?

Alright, I'm doing a Sunday at the movies this weekend and need 3 solid suggestions for the marathon. Any suggestions?

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:30:54 AM »

Glorious News: It has been reported that Sommers is out as director of G.I. Joe.

They need a John McTiernan-esque director to make it work.

VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 12:38:51 PM »

No Snake Eyes, I won't go to see it.

GI Joe will have to respect what the majority of the audience knows and loves about GI Joe and that's the 80s comics and cartoons, even though GI Joe has been around forever it seems.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 06:14:18 PM »

Yeah, what's the point of GI Joe without Snake Eyes, Stormshadow, or Cobra?

ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 10:15:28 PM »

Yeah, what's the point of GI Joe without Snake Eyes, Stormshadow, or Cobra?

"Tears of the Sun"?

OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 01:14:10 AM »

That was fairly decent movie.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 02:19:17 AM »

I don't like to make judgements before seeing a movie - i was determined not to run down trandformers till i saw it, and hey whaddya know, it was ok. Not great, but ok. Megan Fox and Prime's voice went a long way toward making me feel better about it, so i'm willing to forgive the crappy flames on prime and the fact that Megatron turns into a plane. Screw the new generation crap, i... am going off on one and derailing my own post, where was i?

Oh yes.

As i said, i don't like to make judgements, but if both Snake Eyes AND Storm Shadow aren't in it, i'm not watching it. End of story. The Arashikage storyline was the main reason i liked it as a kid.

Hey, have you guys ever considered making GI Joe characters using SC 2.0?? I could run a PbP...

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2007, 02:47:03 AM »

The problem with GI Joe is that once you set aside Hawke/Flint1, Lady Jane/Scarlet2, Snake Eyes, Stormshadow, Cobra Commanda, Destro, the Baroness, Zartan and maybe Roadblock3, you really get a lot of very generic characters

---
1. Never could really distinguish them except by rank. I suppose you could, with hindsight, describe them as SG-1 & Movie Jack O'Neil respectively, but that's not saying a lot.
2. Never could really distinguish them either - I just recall red hair and proficiency with cross bows. Their only defining characteristic was whether it was HAwke or Flint they were shagging.
3. A machine gunner who really wants to be a gourmet cook. It's brilliant, and back in the 80s a fairly novel concept. None of the ancillary Joes really had anything like that about them to stand out. For the other character's their only real distinguishing feature was their costume

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2007, 03:28:42 AM »

The problem with GI Joe is that once you set aside Hawke/Flint1, Lady Jane/Scarlet2, Snake Eyes, Stormshadow, Cobra Commanda, Destro, the Baroness, Zartan and maybe Roadblock3, you really get a lot of very generic characters

---
1. Never could really distinguish them except by rank. I suppose you could, with hindsight, describe them as SG-1 & Movie Jack O'Neil respectively, but that's not saying a lot.
2. Never could really distinguish them either - I just recall red hair and proficiency with cross bows. Their only defining characteristic was whether it was HAwke or Flint they were shagging.
3. A machine gunner who really wants to be a gourmet cook. It's brilliant, and back in the 80s a fairly novel concept. None of the ancillary Joes really had anything like that about them to stand out. For the other character's their only real distinguishing feature was their costume

Tch, slacker.  Cool
Jaye was Ripley-off with, of all the gimmicks, a sheaf of throwing spears in various flavors. That I remember vividly, for managing to really not make sense.
Naw, winner was Zarana. Pink hair, torn-top, and actually an Aussie named Zoe. The Dreadnoks (that I had to look up) also managed to have the greatest adolescent destruction machine ever conceived: The Thunder Machine.
Not a smart design, but surely horribly fun. Grin
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/86/thundermachine/
Even had one when I was a nipper. I didn't break it, despite trying, so it must've been ok. =]

Poking about teh intarwebs to recover these nuggets of nostalgia has mostly strangled my interest in the franchise. Better be a GREAT frackin' movie....

“VELOCITAS, INCURSIO, VIS” -Latin for “Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action!”
(Thank you Grrl Power).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 90 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: