Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 30, 2014, 09:18:30 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Movie News, Reviews and Reaction thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews and Reaction thread.  (Read 150746 times)
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2007, 08:44:17 PM »

I thought Mission to Mars was a pretty decent film, up to the end, which I found to be rather jarring with the rest of the movie. It kinda ruined the whole thing for me, to be honest.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2007, 03:21:14 AM »

I was really really hoping that it was going to turn out like that Judge Dredd story where Judge Anderson goes to Mars and encounters the entities that are essentially the parents of humanity...

Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2007, 02:01:12 PM »

All this Mars talk has me waxing nostalgic about Ahnold's mars movie. That was pure unadulterated fun. No pretension, just balls to the wall action. Don't think too hard though!

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2007, 02:29:26 PM »

The short story was better.  No action, just plenty if Dickian mind screw. Smiley

The kinda leaves you with a tick, smirk, and needing to read it again because you suddenly have no idea what the story is actually about after reading the last sentence.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2007, 12:35:23 PM »

BOND NEWS:

Dan Bradley, the stunt coordinator and second unit director of the last two "Bourne" films, has been hired to work in the same capacity on "Bond 22".

He's also served in the same capacity for the last two Spider-Man films, Superman Returns and Swordfish.

He was also the stunt coordinator for "Jackass: The Movie". ... They needed someone to coordinate that?

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2007, 01:59:14 PM »

He was also the stunt coordinator for "Jackass: The Movie". ... They needed someone to coordinate that?

"Okay, okay... A little to the left... There! Perfect! The batteram trajectory is gonna be tricky, but I think the audience will appreciate the way his nuts explode outward rather than just collapse."

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2007, 06:19:50 PM »

Pat, somehow I don't think you're too far from the truth about that.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2007, 05:07:13 AM »

It's the marked dry British humor that the director and Owen tried to interject into the film.

Dry British wit is just sarcasm. I wish people wouldn't call it dry british wit. And there's a difference between sarcasm and crappy one-liners that belong in a movie being watched by Homer Simpson and sounding like it should star Reiner Wolfcastle.  Angry

As for the Mars movies - Mission to Mars i liked for the best suicide scene ever (Tim Robbins) and the most implausible survival story ever (Don Cheadle), and Red Planet i liked because of AMEE and Tom Sizemore's "I ain't goin' out like that" scene with the flare and the explosion seen in high orbit.

On a tangent i watched Over the Hedge again last night and laughed my @$$ off the whole way through. That movie is priceless.

To quote Nugent the Rottweiler: "PLAY?!?!"

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
NezMaster
Handler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2007, 06:47:52 AM »

I disagree about Dry Britsh wit and sarcasm being the same thing. Truly genuine british wit though is rare. Oscar Wilde, Douglas Adams and Edmund Blackadder being the finest examples.

"Like the blessed Saint Francis I'm married to poverty, unlike Saint Francis, it is not a happy marriage."

"They say harsh words can hurt more than phyisical pain. They are of course wrong, as you shall learn when I push this toasting fork through your head."

"Disease and Depravation stalk our land like..two giant stalking things."

"The majestic silvery ships hovered menacingly over the city in much the way that bricks don't."

I hardly see sarcasm as I understand it in any of these quotes..and they are all distinctly briitish, and distinctly witty.

That being said, such wit is often attributed to sources that fail to deliver.

90% of all statistics are wrong.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2007, 09:39:03 AM »

My favorite examples of British wit abound in Are You Being Served?, a British sitcom in the 70s and very early 80s.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2007, 11:02:13 AM »

Persistant sexual innuendo and double entendres is neither wit nor a uniquely British infatuation (you kust have to look at the ongoing Frathouse genre of US films...)

Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2007, 11:46:08 AM »

They caught on after this show took off in the UK and was rebroadcast in the US.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2007, 02:21:34 PM »

As a Canadian I have to disagree with glimmerat's definition of British wit. Sarcasm and british wit may at times coincide (especially in americanized versions of british characters) but they are not the same thing. One of the best tv villains ever, and a fine wielder of the british wit is/was Francis Urquhart from the mini-series House of Cards...his line would be, "You might think that, but I couldn't possibly comment".

Brilliant series btw. Well worth checking out if you enjoy political drama.

Apropos of nothing, I'm really looking forward to seeing 3:10 to Yuma. Bale and Crowe are two of the best and I'm really looking forward to seeing them go at it.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh.
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2007, 02:51:17 PM »

Same here, especially since I live in Arizona where the story takes place.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2007, 10:25:54 AM »

Any opinion on the Hitman movie? I've enjoyed the games.

http://www.hitmanmovie.com/

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 90 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: