Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 04:00:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Movie News, Reviews and Reaction thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 90 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews and Reaction thread.  (Read 153815 times)
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 05:55:12 AM »

Hawk is in wheelchair with a bullet in his spine.
Duke is now a black ops agent in GI Joe: America's Elite or in GI Joe: Reloaded he's a traitor and dead (he's the guy Mr. A mixed with Hawk).
Lady Jaye is KIA in the Dawn of the Red Shadows.
Flint was married to Lady Jaye (he's the guy with a black beret and pump-action shotgun).
Snake-Eye was engaged to Scarlet (broke up), had one apprentice killed, took another apprentice, is killed and revived (he's been busy).

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 06:00:38 AM »

If we're talking villanous aussies, there was also Major Bludd if I recall correctly.

I had the Thunder Machine too, though I thought the Stinger was the better looking of the two. I also had the moray hydrofoil - it was very striking.

Hawk is in wheelchair with a bullet in his spine.
Duke is now a black ops agent in GI Joe: America's Elite or in GI Joe: Reloaded he's a traitor and dead (he's the guy Mr. A mixed with Hawk).
Lady Jaye is KIA in the Dawn of the Red Shadows.
Flint was married to Lady Jaye (he's the guy with a black beret and pump-action shotgun).
Snake-Eye was engaged to Scarlet (broke up), had one apprentice killed, took another apprentice, is killed and revived (he's been busy).

See, I haven't followed Joe continuity since the 80s - as I suspect is the case with a lot of other folks my age. Looking at that, I'm even more convinced that abandoning the iconic identities of th property would be suicidal.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 06:02:55 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 12:15:30 PM »

Let me chime in that 'super-generic, pro-war, action movie' is not going to get me in the theatre. Figure out how to do Destro, The Baroness, Storm-Shadow, Snake-Eyes and I'll at least be interested. Glad to hear they dropped their first choice as G.I. Joe show-runner. I was not impressed by that guy.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 12:01:29 PM »

The Spirit

Staring Sam "Freaking" Jackson as the villain
Scarlett Johansson and Eva Mendes as femme fatales

Bob Pope (The Matrix, Army of Darkness, Darkman, Spider-Man 2) will the cinematographer

And Frank Miller will direct (and has some writing credit)

Edited:
http://www.willeisner.com/spirit/index.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:09:58 PM by ThunderMonkey » Logged

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 07:10:12 PM »

Now that ^^^ is interesting. Got a link?

ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2007, 12:12:19 PM »

A little part of my soul died. Sommers is back on as director of "G.I. Joe". I finally got around to watch "Hot Fuzz" and I even thought that Edgar Wright would have done a stand-up job as director of a G.I. Joe movie.

Aside from "3:10 to Yuma", I'm going to have to check out "Shoot 'em Up." The media press guide reads like one of Spycraft's books:

From the media guide:
Clive Owen portrays Mr. Smith, the angriest, most hardboiled man in the world, who finds himself entrusted to protect the most innocent thing of all – a newborn child. When Smith delivers the baby in the middle of a gunfight, he soon discovers that the infant is the target of a shadowy force that has sent a team of mysterious and endless assailants, led by Hertz (Paul Giamatti), to erase all traces of the baby.

Amid a hail of bullets and facing every conceivable permutation of gunfight, Smith teams up with a prostitute named DQ (Monica Bellucci) to solve the mystery as to why the baby’s life is being threatened before this makeshift family all ends up on the wrong side of a bullet.  Everyone wants the baby dead. The big question is why?

The director, Michael Davis ("Monster Man"), is a big fan of James Bond and John Woo, and was writing his own James Bond novels as a kid.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2007, 12:23:03 PM »

Sounds rocking!

Living Spycraft Masterm
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2007, 12:30:18 PM »

There was a chance to see Shoot 'Em Up for free at Comic-Con this year and we passed, primarily due to Scott's description of the trailer. Something about Owen stabbing someone in the eye with a carrot and saying: (wince) "Eat your vegetables." Sigh.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2007, 12:39:24 PM »

Owen's character Mr. Smith is homeless and all he eats are carrots. It's the marked dry British humor that the director and Owen tried to interject into the film.

There are trailers that are better than the movies (for example, "Mission to Mars"), and vice versa.

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2007, 12:39:56 PM »

Yeah, the line should have been "I doubt that's going to help you see better in the dark"

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 01:05:43 PM »

There are trailers that are better than the movies (for example, "Mission to Mars"), and vice versa.

::chuckle:: This is one of those places where I diverge from most. I actually kinda like MtM. It wasn't a great film by any stretch, but it was a "watchable 2001," which is no small feat. The original film was just mind-numbing.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 02:26:01 PM »

So sad about the GI Joe news. Sad

Is Mission to Mars the one with Carrie-Ann Moss? Because I thought it was a pretty good movie. Not great, but definitely watchable. Helps that I like the actress AND she's a fellow Canuck.

ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 03:07:39 PM »

So sad about the GI Joe news. Sad

Is Mission to Mars the one with Carrie-Ann Moss? Because I thought it was a pretty good movie. Not great, but definitely watchable. Helps that I like the actress AND she's a fellow Canuck.

Nah, you're thinking "Red Planet". "Mission to Mars" had Gary Sinise, Tim Robbins, Don Cheadle and Jerry O'Connell. It's even directed by the god of directors: Brian de Palma, and it's the only de Palma movie I dislike. Both "Mission" and "Red Planet" came out about the same time.

I can't put a finger as to why "Mission" fustrates me as a film buff. I've watched it three times and my reaction is the same.

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2007, 04:12:29 PM »

I can't put a finger as to why "Mission" fustrates me as a film buff. I've watched it three times and my reaction is the same.

Well, for one thing, it's Blunt Like Hammer. Dull Like Hammer, too. But like I said, it works for me because it was 2001 but watchable. The core premise of 2001 isn't all that filmable, so it's surprising to me that anyone could make the concept work at all.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 06:08:25 PM »

::chuckle:: This is one of those places where I diverge from most. I actually kinda like MtM. It wasn't a great film by any stretch, but it was a "watchable 2001," which is no small feat. The original film was just mind-numbing.

I'm glad someone "kinda" liked it.  A friend of mine worked at the theatre at time and they occassionally have midnight screenings for their employees where they can bring a guest.  That means I got to see it for free...and I still felt like I was ripped off.

Too bad they can't refund the time in my life I spent watching it.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 90 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: