Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 11:47:33 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  New to Spycraft 2.0 and worried now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New to Spycraft 2.0 and worried now  (Read 1793 times)
Wolfx
Recruit

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2010, 06:30:40 AM »

I just came across some great deals on ebay for Spycraft 2.0 and various sourcebooks. I hadn't thought about the game since playing the CCG and Shadowforce Archer. I search for the game online finding all the wonderful material here, and........see that a Third edition is on the way.

Did I just make a huge mistake?

Seriously though, I am looking forward to starting and playing Spycraft again.

Aric

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I couldn't decide which was better and went here since I am curious as to how much content I won't be able to use when Third Edition comes out.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:03:21 AM »

In a lone Koala's opinion, no.  You will get a virtual TON of use out of SC2.0.  If you played D&D, it'd be akin to keeping up with your 3.5 library even though they were working on 4.  (I won't rant about 4, promise...)  Also, the Crafty bunch have alluded to that 3.0 will be a very more focused "Spy" game, where as SC2.0 can and most of the time is a Modern age engine with the ability to handle Spy games.  Soooo... no.  No big mistake.  (Really good idea in my opinion.  The only thing better than SC2.0 is getting a good deal on SC2.0.)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:14:50 AM »

If you use it in the next 10 months then you have definately not wasted money [thats the minimum realistic time before 3rd will be in your hands].  Not to mention that anything not updated won't exactly be that hard to convert to 3rd - just judging by fantasycraft's ease to conversion.  Thats just in addition to the stuff the Koala said.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 07:57:56 AM »

As TSKoala mentioned, you haven't made a mistake at all. In fact, if you're a fan of the CCG, then you're in a pretty good position. Pick up a copy of World on Fire and you could run your own CCG-themed home game with just two books. Past that, there's a veritable library of supplementary material (almost all of which is available in PDF format) to let you customise the game as you see fit.

No game is truly dead as long as people are still playing it and enjoying themselves. There were people playing ADnD at last year's GenCon, and it's been decades since that was last published.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 12:18:09 PM »

And it is possible that you will prefer the older game - the new one is going to be focused entirely on espionage, while the older game is much more of a toolkit - I have used it for steampunk and post apocalyptic games. Well worth holding onto, even if you do prefer the newer MC compatible version.

So no, I would not say that you have made any mistakes.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 04:44:42 PM »

It's also worth noting There Are Still Products Coming Out For 2.0!

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 06:03:37 PM »

It's also worth noting There Are Still Products Coming Out For 2.0!

Indeed there are, including a sequel to World on Fire, called Born of Ashes, which will conclude the CCG storyline and set up a great little campaign launching pad for you. That's coming this summer, BTW.

Oh, and welcome to the boards Wolfx!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
gaghiel42
Handler

The Dude abides.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »

Also, there is a huge supply of fan made resources out there for SC2.0 in the license to improvise section, including I believe some conversion tools if you really need them.  I find that owning a mature game (SC2.0 in this case) and having it in its entirety is way better than starting out with just the fledgling new system.  You get to have all the toys at your disposal and all the kinks have already been ironed out.

It gives you quite a nice buffer zone when deciding if you'll go MC or not.

Agent Codename Whitefire
Wheelman for Life
Wolfx
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 05:01:25 AM »

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement. I managed to snag 2.0, World on Fire and both Decalssified books. I am really glad to read that a second World on Fire will be coming out (Bloodvine all the way).

With all the mentions above about 2.0 working great as a modern toolkit, and that 3rd will be heavy on the spy, I will probably pick it up as well. While at my local store I found a copy of Fantasycraft (snagged it). If 3rd edition does even remotely for spy games what Fantasycraft did for fantasy, I am sold.

In all honesty, I will be a Craft fan form here on out. You guys just publish great games.

Thanks again,

Aric
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:19:34 PM »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Wolfx! Enjoy the game, and be sure to stop by regularly to let us know how it's going.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 07:14:28 AM »

Honestly, I don't often run spy stuff with Spycraft 2.0 - I tend to run everything that pops into my head. I know i'm biased, but I feel it's more versatile than GURPS.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 08:30:18 AM »

Honestly, I don't often run spy stuff with Spycraft 2.0 - I tend to run everything that pops into my head. I know i'm biased, but I feel it's more versatile than GURPS.

I don't think I've come across any thing I can't make work yet, except high level supers.  I've actually played Iron Man in a spycraft game, so I'm mainly talking about off the chain stuff, and alot of it works anyway with some improvising and the gadget rules.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: