Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 05:05:39 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Magic Missile is a fantastically deadly spell against standard characters
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Magic Missile is a fantastically deadly spell against standard characters  (Read 1644 times)
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2010, 10:30:57 AM »

So, MM basically allows you to force a damage save on three standard characters per turn, no attack roll, no save, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. If you lead with an area effect attack and follow up with MM, you could be forcing saves on dudes that have already taken lots of damage.
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 11:33:07 AM »

Well, I believe your spellcasting check still needs to meet or exceed the target's defense score, yes?
And it's no different than any other attack on a standard character for forcing damage saves, all force damage does is let you affect incorporeal targets.
Don't get me wrong, its a nice spell in its own right. One roll for three seperate 1d6 attacks.

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 12:11:20 PM »

Well, I believe your spellcasting check still needs to meet or exceed the target's defense score, yes?
And it's no different than any other attack on a standard character for forcing damage saves, all force damage does is let you affect incorporeal targets.
Don't get me wrong, its a nice spell in its own right. One roll for three seperate 1d6 attacks.

I don't believe your check has to beat the target's defense, as it's not an attack spell. It's also worth remembering, however, that armor and other sources of DR apply to force damage as normal, it's definitely nothing special (not a bad spell, though).
Jackal
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »

I don't believe your check has to beat the target's defense, as it's not an attack spell. It's also worth remembering, however, that armor and other sources of DR apply to force damage as normal, it's definitely nothing special (not a bad spell, though).

At one spell point and one half-action, magic missile is a pretty easy way to force three damage saves at once, even considering armor. I do agree that it's not overly special and certain not game breaking, but it's a great deal better than the magic missiles of ages past. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:32:28 PM by Jackal » Logged
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:35:24 PM »

I was playing as a mage [who died Sad] and Magic Missile very reliably did nothing.  Enemy DR extremely often reduced it to doing no damage.  I'm not saying it's a bad spell, against opponents with minimal armour it has the potential to be great, especially against an enemy who has taken good damage already, or those without high damage saves.
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:54:57 PM »

At one spell point and one half-action, magic missile is a pretty easy way to force three damage saves at once, even considering armor. I do agree that it's not overly special and certain not game breaking, but it's a great deal better than the magic missiles of ages past.

In fact, that brings to mind an idea I've had brewing for a while, regarding spells and damage. I'll put it on paper sometime this evening and post it for feedback. Smiley

I'd still say this is entirely a function of standard characters, not the spell, short swords, too, are far better in this system at fighting off mooks than other variations.
pawsplay