Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 09:52:41 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Powered by Products
| | |-+  FC & Shaintar
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: FC & Shaintar  (Read 5714 times)
Arakor
Agent

View Profile
« on: March 26, 2010, 01:23:44 PM »

I was digging through the Reality Blurs website and trawling various other sites when I began to wonder...

With Reality Blurs Studio being a Powered By FC partner, does that mean that we could be seeing Shaintar: Legends Unleashed as a campaign setting for FC as well as Savage Worlds??

If it isn't, how easy would it be to convert some Species feats to allow Shaintar to be played in FC?

bloodshadows
Crafty n00b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 03:05:47 PM »

With Reality Blurs Studio being a Powered By FC partner, does that mean that we could be seeing Shaintar: Legends Unleashed as a campaign setting for FC as well as Savage Worlds??

Hmm. Could we be seeing such a thing? Sure, we could. But a better question is: would you guys like to see such a thing from us?

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »

More books is always better.

Speaking for myself, I've bought every Powered by X release, and it also led me to pick up the main rules and a few other books for Twilight 2013 from 93 Studios.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
razorwise
Powered By Publisher
Jr. Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 03:09:08 PM »

I was digging through the Reality Blurs website and trawling various other sites when I began to wonder...

So much for the shroud of secrecy, eh?  Cool

This is a good question, and you have correctly deduced that Shaintar: Legends Unleashed is definitely in the cards for Fantasy Craft. First, we have to get the static version of the newest SW iteration together and out the door, before we put a development team on it. So, we can't exactly say when at this point.

Regards,

Sean

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 03:10:22 PM »

What is Shaintar: Legends Unleashed, by the way?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
razorwise
Powered By Publisher
Jr. Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 04:31:25 PM »

This is from the creator, Sean Patrick Fannon:

Be a real fantasy Hero! Stand atop a hill with your companions, preparing your defense against a horde of enemies. Leap from rooftop to rooftop, fleeing the evil Baronís assassins as you make your way to the king with vital information that will preserve the realm. Bring your mighty magic to bear, changing the very course of a war.

Travel through lands of grand and diverse nature. Encounter exotic cultures and diverse peoples. Face the forces of nations bending the world to their will. Affect the tide of time with every decision.

These are just some of the possibilities for you in the world of Shaintar. Even with humble origins, you will sense the drama and live your destiny.

You will be Heroes. You will live in a world of epic, high fantasy.

Shaintar: Legends Unleashed is the evolution of Sean Patrick Fannonís lovingly crafted and widely acclaimed heroic fantasy setting. More than two decades have gone into the development of this world, and it shows ó familiar fantasy elements coupled with fresh, bold ideas create a world of unrivaled richness that hides untold mysteries waiting to be revealed by you and your friends!

Regards,

Sean Preston

Arakor
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 07:43:34 AM »

Hmm. Could we be seeing such a thing? Sure, we could. But a better question is: would you guys like to see such a thing from us?

You tease, you. I, for one, would love to see it as I loved the promotional materials.

To my mind, FC has one minor problem: a lack of campaign settings. Sure, we can convert Forgotten Realms or GreyHawk or Ravenloft or Eberron or Mystara, but they all suffer from one massive flaw: the D&D-centric vision of "Only Mages blow things up, only Clerics heal". I have trouble figuring out how the Priest class fits into such a setting.

There's a load of brilliant fluff in the books and the Call To Arms stuff but it's pretty vague/undefined so it doesn't give someone enough to build upon. (I'm pretty good at writing stories/adventures but I suck at building settings which is why I use published ones when I run. Plus I work IT at some ungodly hours - I'm working right now as I type this - so I don't have a great deal of time to invest in my own setting).

This is a good question, and you have correctly deduced that Shaintar: Legends Unleashed is definitely in the cards for Fantasy Craft. First, we have to get the static version of the newest SW iteration together and out the door, before we put a development team on it. So, we can't exactly say when at this point.

Woohoo!! It's nice to know that great minds were thinking alike. I can understand the business pressures driving your schedule but I look forward to seeing this in the future.

Sean gives the major blurb from the setting above but if you want to dig a bit deeper, take a look at the promotional materials here (http://www.eldritch.org/frobnicorp/Shaintar/) which are previews and stuff from the original Shaintar: Immortal Legends books.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 09:44:46 AM by Arakor » Logged

Sean Patrick Fannon
Crafty n00b

Big Irish Geek in the House

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 09:27:25 AM »

Hey, all! Wow, I've not looked at that stuff Erskin put up and created in a while. Those were the earliest days of our efforts going forward to bring Shaintar to life in Savage Worlds.

Shaintar has a long and (for some) interesting history. It started out, back in 1979 (no, that's not a type - I'm that old) as a world created around the "Keep on the Borderlands."

A number of races, abilities, cultures, and other concepts developed over the many years through many realms and lands I conceived for my games. Not all of them were fantasy, even - I created a game called "Starchasers" in the 80s that ended up bringing to life a number of races that now exist in Shaintar.

My first approach to officially publishing Shaintar as a setting was slated as a Fantasy Hero release, back when I was heavily involved with Hero Games (during the 4th Edition era). When we started putting together a "faster, leaner, newbie-friendly" version of the rules - which ultimately became Fuzion - I decided I'd support the new system with Shaintar.

Then I got involved with Obsidian Studios, wrapped Shaintar up in the Shards of the Stone property, and nearly lost it completely when I left. Thankfully, Jared Nielsen was a decent man at heart and simply gave it back to me.

I abandoned Fuzion (as did many), and (after a brief flirtation with the Action! System), decided to try making Shaintar work in the d20 System.

An entire year wasted.

Lamenting this fact, and screaming into the wilderness for a system that would help my vision feel right, I was contacted by my good and dear friend, Mr. Garibaldi... no, wait, Shane Hensley, and at last had a system to bring my vision to life.

Shaintar: Immortal Legends came out through Talisman Studios, a house of artists and creative folks I'd known for a long while. It was very well received, an Origins Award Semi-Finalist, and a major accomplishment for me.

Sadly, "Life" got all over me, and I utterly failed to follow through with all of the great products and plans I had for the game. Talisman had to move on with their Suzerain project, and I had to re-think my plans.

That's where Sean Preston and Reality Blurs come into the picture. Sean and I - the Two Seans, yes - chatted at GenCon, formulated a plan, and now Shaintar: Legends Unleashed is underway.

Let's go back to that "wasted year" where I tried to make Shaintar work in d20, though, as that's particularly relevant to the current discourse.

You see, as it was, the OGL version of D&D simply could not be made to work with any sense of balance or internal consistency for the style of fantasy I am going for with Shaintar. The epic high fantasy feel just didn't come through at all. The ability to genuinely craft what I wanted and needed to make my setting work withing a d20-driven framework just wasn't there.

And now... it is.

We at Reality Blurs are huge fans of FantasyCraft. When it was first coming out, I had the pleasure of talking to Patrick and Alex about what they'd done, and we all agreed that it would be insanely cool to see a FantasyCraft version of Shaintar.

In an extraordinary convocation of gamerific synchronicity, here we are - Reality Blurs in partnership with Crafty Games, me writing and designing for Reality Blurs...

... and the path is open to use the incredibly flexible, balanced, and potent FantasyCraft to bring Shaintar to life, at long last, for those who are fans of rolling 20's!

So, yeah, we are talking about a fully-realized, deep and story-driven setting - engineered for adventure cinema, epic heroes - for FC fans.

A world where you don't kill kobolds for copper pieces.

You stand on hillsides, challenging hordes in the defense of realms. You change the course of history with bravery and cunning. You go from hero to legend... to something even more.

This will be a cool trip, folks. I am looking forward to sharing it with you all.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Designer, Reality Blurs
Creator, Shaintar: Legends Unleashed
Lifetime Gaming Dude
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 04:21:45 PM »

Well, that sounds like fun Cheesy keep us updated.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun džoladh.
Doublebond
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 04:25:54 PM »

Hey, all! Wow, I've not looked at that stuff Erskin put up and created in a while. Those were the earliest days of our efforts going forward to bring Shaintar to life in Savage Worlds.

Shaintar has a long and (for some) interesting history. It started out, back in 1979 (no, that's not a type - I'm that old) as a world created around the "Keep on the Borderlands."

A number of races, abilities, cultures, and other concepts developed over the many years through many realms and lands I conceived for my games. Not all of them were fantasy, even - I created a game called "Starchasers" in the 80s that ended up bringing to life a number of races that now exist in Shaintar.

My first approach to officially publishing Shaintar as a setting was slated as a Fantasy Hero release, back when I was heavily involved with Hero Games (during the 4th Edition era). When we started putting together a "faster, leaner, newbie-friendly" version of the rules - which ultimately became Fuzion - I decided I'd support the new system with Shaintar.

Then I got involved with Obsidian Studios, wrapped Shaintar up in the Shards of the Stone property, and nearly lost it completely when I left. Thankfully, Jared Nielsen was a decent man at heart and simply gave it back to me.

I abandoned Fuzion (as did many), and (after a brief flirtation with the Action! System), decided to try making Shaintar work in the d20 System.

An entire year wasted.

Lamenting this fact, and screaming into the wilderness for a system that would help my vision feel right, I was contacted by my good and dear friend, Mr. Garibaldi... no, wait, Shane Hensley, and at last had a system to bring my vision to life.

Shaintar: Immortal Legends came out through Talisman Studios, a house of artists and creative folks I'd known for a long while. It was very well received, an Origins Award Semi-Finalist, and a major accomplishment for me.

Sadly, "Life" got all over me, and I utterly failed to follow through with all of the great products and plans I had for the game. Talisman had to move on with their Suzerain project, and I had to re-think my plans.

That's where Sean Preston and Reality Blurs come into the picture. Sean and I - the Two Seans, yes - chatted at GenCon, formulated a plan, and now Shaintar: Legends Unleashed is underway.

Let's go back to that "wasted year" where I tried to make Shaintar work in d20, though, as that's particularly relevant to the current discourse.

You see, as it was, the OGL version of D&D simply could not be made to work with any sense of balance or internal consistency for the style of fantasy I am going for with Shaintar. The epic high fantasy feel just didn't come through at all. The ability to genuinely craft what I wanted and needed to make my setting work withing a d20-driven framework just wasn't there.

And now... it is.

We at Reality Blurs are huge fans of FantasyCraft. When it was first coming out, I had the pleasure of talking to Patrick and Alex about what they'd done, and we all agreed that it would be insanely cool to see a FantasyCraft version of Shaintar.

In an extraordinary convocation of gamerific synchronicity, here we are - Reality Blurs in partnership with Crafty Games, me writing and designing for Reality Blurs...

... and the path is open to use the incredibly flexible, balanced, and potent FantasyCraft to bring Shaintar to life, at long last, for those who are fans of rolling 20's!

So, yeah, we are talking about a fully-realized, deep and story-driven setting - engineered for adventure cinema, epic heroes - for FC fans.

A world where you don't kill kobolds for copper pieces.

You stand on hillsides, challenging hordes in the defense of realms. You change the course of history with bravery and cunning. You go from hero to legend... to something even more.

This will be a cool trip, folks. I am looking forward to sharing it with you all.

You have me excited for a setting I've never even heard about until now.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »

Indeed, this setting sounds really, really cool. And if it's powered by Mastercraft, then there's no reason not to adopt it! Smiley

Good luck!
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 04:37:49 PM »

Well, to be honest I was making a joke that I'd buy a Powered by MC release without knowing what it really was, but it sounds like it's a campaign setting the author believes passionately in, and those almost always are cool.

Assuming the author isn't Raven McCracken, of course. Wink

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 05:08:04 PM »

Welcome SPF! Glad to see a little bit more about the new Shaintar showing up!

razorwise