Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 07:18:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  [Industrial Era] Incorporating the Adventuring Company
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Industrial Era] Incorporating the Adventuring Company  (Read 1057 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:21 PM »

Heh - I couldn't get the full title to fit... Prizes, Holdings, Reputation, and the Incorporation of the Adventuring Company as Fiscal Entity.

Essentially an offshoot of wanting to see Organization rules for Fantasy Craft and a reading through of historic pirate charters, I am toying with the idea of allowing the Adventuring Company to be handled as an extra PC in regards to Prizes and Reputation.

One possibility is to treat the AC as a form of holding, with the number of AC Holding a PC has reflecting his share of corporate stock. Simple, workable, and I don't like it.

Another is to treat the Company as another PC, with level and Rep equal to the party average - more work, but I think that I like it better.

Thoughts?

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Gearwork
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »

Make the characters invest their own reputation in the company.  They can either work to make themselves known or they can work for the company.

It should definitely be an x for 1 donation rate though.  say 3 for 1 for a party of four.  So if they gain each  6 rep after an adventure they could be all self-sacrificing and use all of it to boost the company by 8 instead, or boost the company by 1 each (4 total) and keep 3 rep for themselves.

The characters get the benefit of using the company resources/name/ and holdings so it's actually beneficial to them to boost the company.

Add something like a pirate charters on the division of these resources and who's running the show.  Equal voting or whatever.
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 10:36:44 AM »

One thing we've done since the games inception was group prizes.  I came up with the idea of giving group a keep that was in a state of disarray, and they could do a few side quests for the dwarves to have their stonemasons fix it up.  Everyone in the group could contribute Rep to adding rooms they wanted, improving the guard or what not.

After a little while the guys came up with the idea of the keep itself having renown, and producing a group standard that they could be recognised, and they all chipped in rep to buy the keep renown, and bought it some magical items [notably a teleport dias].

Since then the other guys I game with have stolen this idea, and we have a group mansion / land tract / castle / whatnot in every game.
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:21:53 PM »

Make the characters invest their own reputation in the company.  They can either work to make themselves known or they can work for the company.

It should definitely be an x for 1 donation rate though.  say 3 for 1 for a party of four.  So if they gain each  6 rep after an adventure they could be all self-sacrificing and use all of it to boost the company by 8 instead, or boost the company by 1 each (4 total) and keep 3 rep for themselves.

The characters get the benefit of using the company resources/name/ and holdings so it's actually beneficial to them to boost the company.

Add something like a pirate charters on the division of these resources and who's running the show.  Equal voting or whatever.

That is exactly what I am trying to get away from. As I mentioned above, I considered it, and decided that I didn't like it - and that feeling has only grown stronger. I am definitely leaning more towards SC2.0 style Organizations.

Corporate reputation should not be solely based on the personal reputation of the PCs - success on missions should give both corporate reputation and personal reputation, with corporate reputation leading to more lucrative clients.Let alone what Rep individual PCs are willing to sacrifice.

A new PC who is a member of the Company does not have his own rep, but does share that of his company, while an experienced character draws on both - much like the Pinkerton's and James McParland, or for that matter Hoover and the FBI. Prizes that are held with personal Rep belong to the PC, prizes that belong to the Company may be borrowed by PCs, but if lost or destroyed cost the PC Rep, as he/she must replace the lost Prizes.

While the PCs may found the Company, ideally it should grow beyond their personal adventures.

Sacrificing Rep to gain a share of the Companies profits, in the form of a holding, and increasing the Company's Rep accordingly is something that would likely be good, but not as the sole source of Company Rep.

The Auld Grump, hopefully SC3 will have Agency/Organization rules....

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 12:54:01 AM »

I should have been clearer on one point perhaps - once the PC's established themselves and got some company renown I planned on having the company gain its own rep.  The game just didn't last long enough.  The reason I went with them spending rep to establish it was it's an investment of resources, and essentially banking their own personal reputation on the acts of a group.
Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 01:11:26 PM »

Honestly, I'd steal from Whispering Vault for ideas on an NPC organization. 

Keep track of default reputation (Organization has no Legend), especially versus what the PCs put in.  Treat the organization as an NPC with its own goals - one of which is to be free of NPCs who abuse it.  After all, Steve Jobs got kicked out of Apple. 

But yes, you should have a gear check-out system for organization resources.  Let players pay a combination of resources and XP for prizes they 'overkeep' (to the point where it might as well belong to just one character).  In Earthdawn, these would be assigned to the gear itself.  Excalibur, Blackrazor, Mjolnir, Sting - I'm sure you can come up with others if you try.

I like the Whispering Vault's take on groups - if you don't keep watch on them, your 'children' may turn on you ...

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 05:22:34 AM »

Honestly, I'd steal from Whispering Vault for ideas on an NPC organization. 

Keep track of default reputation (Organization has no Legend), especially versus what the PCs put in.  Treat the organization as an NPC with its own goals - one of which is to be free of NPCs who abuse it.  After all, Steve Jobs got kicked out of Apple. 

But yes, you should have a gear check-out system for organization resources.  Let players pay a combination of resources and XP for prizes they 'overkeep' (to the point where it might as well belong to just one character).  In Earthdawn, these would be assigned to the gear itself.  Excalibur, Blackrazor, Mjolnir, Sting - I'm sure you can come up with others if you try.

I like the Whispering Vault's take on groups - if you don't keep watch on them, your 'children' may turn on you ...
Hmmm, I don't think that I have ever looked at Whispering Vault. I will need to look for a PDF for the game. More and more, I purchase PDFs for the game that I only want as part of my 'research library... I have way too many books....)

Thea Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 04:39:36 PM »

Distantly related - how would a Manufactory Holding be handled? Definitely not just a Workshop. I lean toward a production of X S in goods each allotted time period, or 1/4 X S in the form of coin in the same period.

The Industrial Era does scary things to the Forge system in regards to Complexity and time.

The Auld Grump

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 08:29:30 PM »

I've been pondering something similiar myself - my character wants something similiar [but powered by magic instead of technology perhaps, depends where my GM says golems fall on that line].

By the core rules, the obvious solution is to take a Tradesman [or a couple], with a decient rep investment, give him / them a few assistants, and instead of having his check make silver, have it make items.

If you have a scale 4 workshop, with two professional tradesman, each with a couple of mope assistants, they can roll at +10 to craft stuff, if they take 10, thats 30s per week of adventure, which isn't bad.  The other similiar option, is to throw your personal lt in the holding, as a dedicated workshop director, and have him make the craft checks while you adventure.

You're totally right about the Industrial Era messing up creation time for objects, especially with regards to early automation.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: