Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 11:39:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Herding Extras
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Herding Extras  (Read 1219 times)
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2010, 04:57:20 PM »

This probably has wider applications, but I am thinking of a specific example. The feat Followers says you have access to your followers in non-dramatic scenes. What happens when a dramatic scene occurs? Are there specific guidelines or techniques I should keep in mind when balancing the intended utility of the feat (standard NPCs who assist in non-dramatic scenes) versus the imaginary world (people do not magically apepar or disappear according to arbitrary game rules)?

Example 1: The PCs take their followers and undramatically delve into the Scary Forest, where they encounter some guards. After, they press on to the Lair of the Dragon, creating a dramatic scene. What happens to their followers? How should I handle it as a GM if the players insist on trying to get their followers to enter the lair, and assuming the followers are no fools but logically would feel bound to obey the PC?

Example 2: The PCs are hangin' with their followers, and an NPC with dramatic entrance attacks.

Example 3: The PCs are in the Scary Forest, and encounter the guards. The players make some snide remarks, so in a fit of pique, I spend some action dice and make the scene dramatic.

Options I've considered:
1. The followers are ruthlessly narrated out of the scene. They will not enter the lair, they scatter when the scary NPC shows up, and they are abducted by aliens during the encounter with the guards.
2. The followers are inconsequential. They don't make effective attacks, the NPCs largely ignore them, they don't block movement, and if the players goad the NPC into doing something, I allow the follower to be devoured as a free action without a roll.
3. The followers can only be summoned in a non-dramatic scene. Should they unfortunatetely stumble into a dramatic scene through such events as the above, they may try to flee or politely excuse themselves if it is logical for them to do so, otherwise they simply face the peril that has befallen them.
Doublebond
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 05:52:39 PM »

I was under the impression you couldn't call or summon your followers during a dramatic scene.

You don't have much time to send a messenger for help when a dragon attacks your inn while you sleep, after all.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 06:44:53 PM »

I'm fairly sure Doublebond has the correct assumption.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »

I believe, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong paws, that he's asking "What happens to the followers, who are already IN THE SCENE, when a dramatic scene triggers?"
Doublebond
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »

I believe, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong paws, that he's asking "What happens to the followers, who are already IN THE SCENE, when a dramatic scene triggers?"

And I'm pretty sure they stay right where they are. You can hardly expect them to disappear magically once the dragon shows up. The feat goes thus:

You may summon your followers once per adventure
during a non-Dramatic scene

But that is the only mention of dramatic scenes in the feat text. It does not specify that they cannot be in a dramatic scene, but rather only that you cannot summon them once you are in one already. This is probably done following the reasoning that if the GM starts a dramatic scene when you don't have your followers, he probably doesn't want you to have them during that scene.
pawsplay