Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 12:54:59 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  James Rollins for inspiration?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: James Rollins for inspiration?  (Read 2755 times)
sewell
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »

Hello!  New member of the board here; looks like I signed up just in time for some kind of overhaul or something.  Good timing! 

Anyway, it's nice to be here, and I look forward to some good discussions.  I bought Sptcraft 2.0 last year but, to be honest, have barely had a chance to read through it untill now.  I like what I'm seeing.  A little crunchy, but I reckon you get used to that right quick.  Hope I don't bother y'all too much with rules questions.

Well, onto the point of my post here.  IMMEDIATELY upon flipping through the book, I started to think what a good game this might be to model the books of James Rollins.  If you don't know him, he's sort of Clive Cussler-esque, with his latest books revolving around a secret government team of soldier/scientists investigating ancient religious-ish mysteries.  It's high action, but with a dash of suspense/thriller for flavor.  I wonder if anyone else has modeled scenarios after his books, or have used him for inspiration?  How'd it go?  Any advice on what to do with these"campaign quality" things to assist in that?

Thanks all!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 12:07:20 PM »

For a moment there I thought you were talking about Henry Rollins.

Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:59:02 PM »

Never read it before, but from reading the wikipedia entry, it sounds like very good Spycraft fodder.

Not sure which campaign qualities would apply, not having read the books. It sounds a bit like Alias meets Tom Clancy.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
mouthymerc
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 01:00:19 PM »

I haven't done so yet, but when I get my gaming group back into Spycraft I'm going to be taking much influence from James Rollins.  I have enjoyed every one of his books, from Subterranean up to the most recent, Black Order.  I particularly enjoy his takes on current technologies.  His group, Sigma Force, is an awesome concept that would work well for a Spycraft group.  Combining elements of soldiers, scientists, and investigators.  Very good inspiration.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
--George Orwell
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 01:26:31 PM »

Welcome to the boards. Cheesy Haven't ever heard of James Rollins, but from what you describe of  his novels; they sound like excellent Spycraft fare. I'm always looking for new authors to read for inspiration and pleasure and it looks like I'll be checking this one out at my local library.

Stick around awhile, this is a very congenial board (and has been in every iteration). Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun džoladh.
Vyzzini
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 07:25:34 AM »

I just finished Black Order and I got the same idea than you!
I thought it will indeed make an awesome Spycraft scenario and I am now working on it.
Each of my players has already two agents (one scientist - oriented and a more military one) and I will split them in two team : one for the part in Himalaya (one "scientist" agent is an epidemiologist, it will totally fit) and the other team in Europe.
Iíll keep you in touch guys !   

Vyz

PS : Excuse me for any English mistake, I am a damn froggy  Wink
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 08:53:50 AM »

I just saw Black Order atthe bookstore and was sort of tempted by the back cover text. Maybe I'll pickit up next time. I'm trying to make time to read the first of the Dressden Files right now Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »

I thought it was Henry Rollins too.

Perhaps Henry Rollins would make a great character.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »

I too thought it was Henry.

The books sound great, think I'll have to search the local bookstores.

As for the character: Caustic or Resolute Actor with Advocate (singer, songwriter and social activist) and maybe some Faceman (actor) and some physical training.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: