Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 08:29:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  Spycraft Third edition Wishlist and Suggestions Mega-thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft Third edition Wishlist and Suggestions Mega-thread  (Read 26682 times)
EloiseCartwright
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »

Well, let's face it - sexy ladies are a part of the genre, it'd be remiss not to include one or two. But I think the iconic intruder through the Spycraft 2.0 book was pushing it a bit far in some of the artwork.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »

Oversized boobs =/= automatically sexy.

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »

Not always but usually ... depends on the frame they are part of it too

Living Spycraft Masterm
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »

I'm guessing [hoping?] that Craft will continue working with their existing artists, even if only to keep the books having a uniform art style.  Honestly, I'd love to see what Ben McSweeny can do with espionage style art [I single him out because most of my favourite art pieces in the FC book have his signature on them].
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2010, 02:44:04 AM »

Not really a wish, 'cause I can see this is the tendency from Fantasy Craft, but I really hope you'll continue to keep things simple and go to the essential. I'm thinking of a few main points where it is an absolute necessity:
Dramatic Conflicts: Though one of my favorite aspects of the game, they tend to be a little too complex. Too much choices, too much restrictions (chases on foot are extremely limited for example), too much intricate additional rules (smash points, gah!). On the other hand, a lot of various effects (crisis, stress, etc.) is good.
Weapons: By far, the point that needs to be cut the most. Real-world weapon is cool, iconic espionage weapons is even better, but a 2-pages catalog for assault rifle is IMO useless. 10 to 20 iconic assault rifles should be well enough. Same thing for guns, etc. Who cares if the bad guy has a Glock 17, 17L, 18, or 19?
Actions, conditions, etc: I love how you've condensed these parts with FC, so I guess there's no fear to have here.
NPCs: Too many qualities IMO. FC is a great effort of condensing those, but I think that without the fantasy element, they can be even more condensed in SC3. Again: Keep. It. Simple. Strongly thematic, effect-based qualities, maybe a separate section for animal qualities, and that's it.
Gadgets: Too many choices in SC2, making it the king of all item categories by far. OK, that's what it's supposed to be, but then it shouldn't be considered equivalent to other items. Should you make it something as distinct and unique as magic items in FC, it would be great.

There are other things I would like to point out, but maybe later. That was my "lets cut down Spycraft to 400 pages" post.
starwarsphil
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2010, 12:06:52 PM »

A small (but often relevant) wishlist item: can we please have a space on the character sheet for recording the character's nationality.

Phil

hushpossum
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2010, 04:51:12 PM »

Thanks for the welcome!

I obviously haven't gotten a chance to play around with FantasyCraft (not that I don't want to).  It's good to hear that some things have already been fixed.  I particularly like the idea of turning subdual damage into more of a death spiral... though I hope you haven't gone as far as Shadowrun in stacking penalties and modifiers with each hit.

As for the art, clearly there should be plenty of hot ladies (and hot guys, let's not forget the hot guys) -- but the iconic intruder is indeed a perfect example of going too far.

Welcome to the boards, hushpossum, and thanks for your comments!

Many of the things you address are actually already dealt with in the Mastercraft system, seen in Fantasy Craft (thus far) Smiley Crits have been very much simplified/made easy to remember without losing the flavor of a particular type of awesome that fits the skill. Hand-waving is still encouraged for your table too, of course.

Brusing is gone in Mastercraft, the example you use being one of the reasons. The other is subdual damage works substantially differently now - being less of a "live/die" switch and more of a death spiral.

On the bouncy boob issue - we hear you. While I can't say anything about the exact nature of our art at this time (no fun spoiling any surprises... Wink), SC3 will have a different visual tone than 2.0. Buxom ladies will probably be present, mainly cause dudes will be drawing them, but I think the median bust size should decrease noticably Smiley
Freestyle
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2010, 08:04:28 PM »

I don't know if this has been said or not but a character design program sure would be nice to help us over worked GM's out.  Really I would be willing to play money to you for this.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2010, 08:13:23 PM »

I don't know if this has been said or not but a character design program sure would be nice to help us over worked GM's out.  Really I would be willing to play money to you for this.

No reason why the Web NPC generator shouldn't work.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2010, 08:52:19 PM »

No reason why the Web NPC generator shouldn't work.

Not 100% sure, but he may have been talking about Player Characters...

Link, in case he was talking about NPCs...

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2010, 09:03:33 PM »

Possible, but GM's don't need to make PC like characters. That's the point of the NPC system.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »

Possible, but GM's don't need to make PC like characters. That's the point of the NPC system.

I've made plenty of PC's over the years to give to new guys to help introduce them to the game.
Sketchpad
Recruit

Taking on the Bad Guys Since 1980

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »

I would agree with this.  Would love to see a Crafty port for HeroLab Smiley

DT Butchino | Writer, Illustrator, Designer | Sketchpad Studios
DeviantART Portfolio
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2010, 12:36:20 PM »

I would agree with this.  Would love to see a Crafty port for HeroLab Smiley
I recall there being movement towards this a few years ago.  Fell apart, and I don't recall why.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Gentry