Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 05:30:44 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [FantasyCraft] Dread Pirate (MaC)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [FantasyCraft] Dread Pirate (MaC)  (Read 1491 times)
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:02:01 PM »

As I am making my way through my upcoming new campaign expert and master classes need to be addressed.

One of them is the Pirate Kings who rule the High Seas, after scouring these boards and pilfering some other resources I present the Dread Pirate.

Dread Pirate (Master Class)

A Dread Pirate is a master of larceny upon the high seas, his name and legend is known in every tavern in every port. Sea captains never wish to see his ship on the horizon, for they know they very will not return to a port again.
Party Role: Backer/Combatant.

Class Features
Requirements: Tactics 6+ Ranks, Extra Holding (Ship), Glint of Madness, Water Vehicle Ride Foci
Favoured Attributes: Charisma, Wisdom, Strength.
Class Skills:  Intimidate, Investigation, Haggle, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Sense Motive, Tactics.
Continuity: Choose 2 non-class skills. These become permanent Dread Pirate class skills for you.
Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level

Class Abilities
Fearsome Reputation I: You’ve developed a reputation upon the high seas and you know how to make it work for you.  At Level 1, you gain a +2 Circumstance bonus to Intimidate Checks. Further your Heroic Renown increases by 1.
Fearsome Reputation II: At Level 4, you gain a +4 Circumstance bonus to Intimidate Checks, replacing the previous bonus. Further your Heroic Renown increases by 1.

Loyal Crew: You have a crew that will follow you to the ends of the world and back again. Your Ship Holding gains a complement of Guards. These Guards are Sailors (40 XP).

Scourge of the Sea: You have a glare that rattles lesser men.  At Level 2, you may take the Threaten Action against an additional number of targets equal to your Dread Pirate Level. Also, you gain a trick.
Scowl (Threaten trick): If the target fails the Will save prompted by stress damage, she is frightened.

Battle Plan I: At Level 3, you gain the Battle Plan as per Captain.

Shore Party: Your crew knows that you will lead them through, even if it not all will survive. At Level 4, your Loyal Crew count as your teammates. Further, once per adventure when in your holding you may summon some of your Loyal Crew as if you had the Followers Feat. These Followers have an XP value no greater than 40+ 5 x your Heroic Renown.

Pirate King: Exploits of your life are so legendary that sailors are willing to sign on as your crew for no compensation other than to share in your adventure, and a share of the booty. Your Loyal Crew now consists of 2 Guard Complements and also are considered a 6 Rep Assistant Investment in the Ride (Watercraft Foci) Skill. Finally when you summon forth some of your Shore Party it is as if you had the More Followers Feat, except they have an XP value of 50 + 5 x your Heroic Renown.

BAB:
Fast
Fort: Medium
Ref: Medium
Will: Medium
Def: Slow
Init: Slow
LS: Medium
Leg: Fast

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:54:20 PM »

Some suggested edits. I swapped around some abilites so that the first and second halves were farther apart and tweaked the language a bit~

Dread Pirate (Master Class)
A Dread Pirate is a legendary menace of the high seas, his name is known in every tavern, spoken with trembling fear in every port. Sea captains pray to the gods they never see his ship on the horizon, knowing it heralds a grim and watery fate.
Party Role: Backer/Combatant.

Class Features
Requirements: Tactics 6+ Ranks, Glint of Madness, must have a sailing ship as a holding with a scale of 5 or more.
Favored Attributes: Charisma, Wisdom or Strength
Class Skills:  Intimidate, Investigation, Haggle, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Sense Motive, Tactics
Continuity: Choose 2 class skills from other classes you have levels in. These become Dread Pirate class skills for you.
Skill Points: 6 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 9 + Con modifier per level

Class Abilities
Black Flag of Terror: You have a crew that will follow you to the ends of the world and back again. At Level 1, at the beginning of each adventure, choose one of your ships with a scale of 5 or more as your flagship. Until the end of the adventure, all NPCs associated with that holding are considered your teammates, and your flagship gains a complement of Guards. You gain (35 + 5 x your class level) reputation to create this ‘Loyal Crew’ (with GM approval of the final statistics). You may recreate their statistics each time you gain a level in this class. You may not spend additional reputation to enhance these characters.

Fearsome Reputation: You’ve developed a terrifying reputation upon the high seas and live up to it in person!  At Level 1, you gain a +2 morale bonus to Intimidate Checks. Further your Heroic Renown increases by 1.
At Level 4, Your morale bonus to Intimidate Checks increase to +4 and your Heroic Renown increases by an additional 1 (total of +2).

Scourge of the Sea: You have a glare that rattles lesser men. At Level 2, you may take the Threaten Action against an additional number of targets equal to your Class Level, rolling once with each target rolling to resist separately. Also, you gain a trick.
Scowl (Threaten trick): If the target fails the stress damage’s Will save, he becomes frightened.

Shore Party: Your crew knows that you will lead them through, even if it not all will survive. At Level 3, you gain the Followers (loyal crew) feat. This is treated like the Followers feat except that the followers use you Loyal Crew’s statistics (adjusted for having a threat level equal to your career level –4) and you may only summon them while within 10 miles of your flagship.
At Level 5, you gain the More Followers (loyal crew) feat with the same adjustments and restrictions.

Battle Plan I: At Level 4, you gain Battle Plan I as per Captain (see Fantasycraft, page 34).

Pirate King: Exploits of your life are so legendary that sailors are willing to sign on as your crew for no compensation other than to share in your adventure, and a share of the booty. Your flagship gains a second compliment of Loyal Crew as guards and a ‘pilot’ (a +5 Ride Assistant).

« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:12:24 AM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 08:26:13 PM »

Morg, you've cleaned it up nicely.

You also got around the issue of getting a bigger boat, which I had by using Extra Holding.
Now I'll have to move on to the other Master Clasess.

Thanks!
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:00:14 AM »

This is an excellent class indeed. Thanks to you both. Smiley
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:04:06 AM »

Could you give a more detailed description of what you see in the changes? I want to see if the 'why' for some of them was apparent.

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:03:55 PM »

Could you give a more detailed description of what you see in the changes? I want to see if the 'why' for some of them was apparent.

In no particular order.

No more Extra Holding: Extra Holding has an upper limit, and unless there was an ability to let it grow, which would then require another ability jammed in somewhere. So, by just having a standard holding that is a boat that you nominate gets around the clunkiness of using a feat.

Loyal Crew: Splitting this ability more evenly about the levels means there is more incentive to grab that next level. Again by letting the crew XP grow by the class level it becomes more important than when I used Renown. Renown can be gained by anyone, but Dread Pirate Class Levels can only be gained by taking Dread Pirate Levels.

Circumstance to a Morale: Circumstance bonuses are not listed in FC, but Morale bonuses are. Also Morale bonus is more appropriate as you are abotu confidence under pressure.

General Language: You went through and cleaned up my intent with clearer language. Also, you have closed off some dangerous opening, that as I have found that my players will drive through, sideways, with a Freight Train!
Such things as not allowing Characters to add to the Loyal Crew with there own Reputation.
Threaten Action opposed seperately by each target.

Does that help out?
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 05:31:01 AM »

Yes. I'm trying to formulate further guidance for the class making thread.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:57:10 AM »

Yes. I'm trying to formulate further guidance for the class making thread.

Zen and the art of construction?
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 12:46:40 AM »

...Dread Pirate Class Levels can only be gained by taking Dread Pirate Levels.

That's my favorite tautology of the week.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: