Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:16:14 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft Third Edition
| | |-+  Spycraft Third and non-Espionage Settings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spycraft Third and non-Espionage Settings  (Read 7346 times)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 02:35:58 PM »

Ley Line Walker is easy enough ...

The Glitter Boy, other than being a tremendously unbalanced class in Palladium with respect to the rest of the game type of PC, is just a guy in armor with some nifty DR against certain types of damage and a really big gun that he cannot fire unless completely stationary because he has to put giant bolts into the ground so the recoil does not launch him backward. This additionally means those bolts still have to penetrate the terrain and a rocky outcropping will not work. In some sense they are limited because it can take, by my friendly guessing, a full round for those bolts to break ground and lock into place. Plus, the torso does not swivel on the GlitterBoy so he has to retract at least one bolt to shift his firing arc from the front 90 degrees AND you could even say that it is a full round action to fire a single shot because of the massive recoil which requires he reorient his aim afterwards. There are ways to limit the GlitterBoy.

Yes, those are a couple of run-on sentences. My point being that actions needed for them to be effectively "powered down" can be taken in the requirements to use their primary weapon. I do not find it to be difficult if you use the idea of the class other than as it is written verbatim. Of course, you'll pull from it what you can but going verbatim is additional headaches.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 03:05:35 PM »

My point being that actions needed for them to be effectively "powered down" can be taken in the requirements to use their primary weapon. I do not find it to be difficult if you use the idea of the class other than as it is written verbatim. Of course, you'll pull from it what you can but going verbatim is additional headaches.

Yeah. My early notes lumps powered armor pilots into a hybrid soldier/wheelman class and the kinds of armor that players have access to is limited (or unleashed) based upon their gear levels. That came from my early attempts to develop Battletech into Crafty terms.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »

With power armor saying 'armor' right on the tin, I figured the MC Soldiers we already had are pretty well situated to be the premier users of it with their current spread of class abilities.

Even most battlefield uniforms of this and the last century qualify as full padded with light fittings (helment and combat boots), which is enough to trigger the class ability.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 07:53:12 PM »

Glitter Boy sounds like it's linked to a 'Pimp' Expert class.  (Yes, I know what it is.)

RIFTS isn't balanced, but it's easy to translate most of the classes into balanced SC / Spellbound / FC classes.

Honestly, though, a LOT of RIFTS spells and such need to be re-assigned levels before being placed into MC frameworks. 

That said, the VARIETY of FX available in RIFTS (magic, psi, chi, etc.) combined with the wealth of 'fluff text' and the 'unique' rules set common to Palladium Games makes it a great choice for transplant.

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 05:16:37 PM »

[Insert witty comment about hitting RIFTS with the MC Hammer....]

The Auld Grump, well, half witty, anyway.

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 11:19:34 AM »

Yep, I bet it will. ... As a matter of fact, a PA game will be even easier to duplicate, especially if you want to do something Rifts like in setting or something similar. I've been germinating an idea for when MC gets more fully well-rounded that is PA in setting. ... That and my D-Gate game will be easier to manipulate into resurrection.

ACK!! Rifts... I've lost some sleep in trying to drum up a decent conversion for it.

But MasterCraft will allow you, not only another opportunity to attempt it, to succeed in solid fashion methinks.

I have a sneaky feeling that MasterCraft would do Rifts far better than the paladium system ever did.
agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 12:03:34 PM »

Exactly... Yeah. It has a great setting, but trying to find a balance between a starting Glitter Boy and a Ley Line Walker was about to turn me to the drink. Rifts Mercenaries and Rifts Japan are two of my all-time favorite RPG books and are always handy regardless of what my current interest or system.

While I think the whole line of RIFTS is an awesome idea generator and inspiration, I agree that Mercenaries is the most uselful towards almost any rpg.  Also the RIFTS Conversion book.  Monster books are handy no matter what system.

As to RIFTS conversion to MC...

Unless, you are just using the basic concepts of RIFTS, MC can hammer it down (hehe...).

However, just by nature of any d20 system being obsessed with balance, trying to emulate the "feel" of the OCCs (and to lesser extent, the RCCs) will be near impossible with MC.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2010, 06:30:32 PM »

Only if you want them to be exact duplicates ... plus MC would require a psionics system first

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »

Only if you want them to be exact duplicates ... plus MC would require a psionics system first
Pfeh.  Reskin the magic:  Change a few spells from fire or electric to force.  Most of the differences are cosmetic.

I do appreciate Palladium's acknowledgment that they didn't bother much with balance.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »

If you want exact duplicates I suggest playing the original game.  Of course this goes for all games. 
Gunbunny
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2011, 12:53:59 PM »

I would love to do Rifts with MC/SC.  I started running Rifts in the early 90s.  I enjoyed it at the time.  I ran my last Rifts campaign in 2008.  My wife, who loves the setting, wanted me to finish the campaign (we had come to a logical stopping point, and people wanted change).  However, looking at the rules makes me want to inflict bodily harm on myself...honestly.  I don't know what point the rules got in the way of fun, but I can't stomach the thought of the Palladium system.  However, the Rifts setting is pure gold for me.  With my players now really, really really enjoying Fantasy Craft, I imagine that once SC comes out with additional titles, etc.  I really foresee translating my previous game into MC and running with it.

GB
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2011, 07:57:47 PM »

I have a sneaky feeling that MasterCraft would do Rifts far better than the paladium system ever did.

Much as I love the Rifts World, nearly *any* game system is better than Paladium. Once I thought it was the greatest out there, now I realize just how clunky and horrid it is.

Pfeh.  Reskin the magic:  Change a few spells from fire or electric to force.  Most of the differences are cosmetic.

I do appreciate Palladium's acknowledgment that they didn't bother much with balance.

Biggest problem with the Paladium "magic system" is there is not *one* magic system. There's 27 at last count, and I stopped counting years ago. Spell, Elemental (altered spell), Stone, Crystal, Techno-wizardy, Bio-Wizardry, Druidism, Witchcraft, Summoning, and on and on and on. While most are convertable to spell magic, many aren't. Stone Magic, Bio-Wizardry, and Tattoo Magic come to mind right off the top.

If you want exact duplicates I suggest playing the original game.  Of course this goes for all games.

Amen. You'll never fullly duplicate any game or system, even with similiar rulesets. But I would love to see Rifts done in another system. Even the d20 "converstions" aren't really that after all.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2011, 08:14:04 PM »

Ooo. That sounds like a challenge. Unfortunately my Rifts colleciton is in storage.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
adrick
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 02:17:51 PM »

Love Rifts, I agree that MC could probably handle it well if you go for a flavor conversion.

You guys should also check out Alpha Omega, setting similar to rifts as far as screwed up future with lots of crazy stuff going on. City states of high technology surrounded by angry wilderness. so you can play with several different genres in the setting.
phenomenal production value.  creature book is a must for any game. very easy to convert them to MC, great for scaring players that have seen it all.
agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 04:31:26 PM »

Much as I love the Rifts World, nearly *any* game system is better than Paladium. Once I thought it was the greatest out there, now I realize just how clunky and horrid it is.

Biggest problem with the Paladium "magic system" is there is not *one* magic system. There's 27 at last count, and I stopped counting years ago. Spell, Elemental (altered spell), Stone, Crystal, Techno-wizardy, Bio-Wizardry, Druidism, Witchcraft, Summoning, and on and on and on. While most are convertable to spell magic, many aren't. Stone Magic, Bio-Wizardry, and Tattoo Magic come to mind right off the top.

A while back, Palladium's system was thought to be superior to D&D 2nd ed so it's funny to hear all the venom spewing about RIFT's system (besides the complaint of their refusal to "update" their game system).

What you see as negative, I see it as a positive.  Many contemporary rpgs are so obsessed with unified mechanics and its nice to see systems, once in a while, made up of subsystems still being produced.  The diversity of the magic system in RIFTS contributes to the total feel of the RIFTS setting IMHO.  I love that Whale Song feels different from the typical Ley Line Walker.  I love the Tattoo magic of the Atlantians...I can go on and on...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: