Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 09:04:55 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Fantasy Craft] New NPC qualities/attacks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Fantasy Craft] New NPC qualities/attacks  (Read 1091 times)
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 15, 2010, 03:09:02 AM »

Hey, I'm currently devising some kind of magic eater (an Umbral Sorcerer from Monsternomicon to be precise). I was wondering how I could make that creature literally "eat" the power of mages. After skimming one more time through the book, I found nothing remotely related to this. So, I decided to build a new kind of NPC attack, an extraordinary one to be precise:
Draining, Magic: The attack devours the magical ability of the victim. With a failed Will save, he loses 5 spell points. XP Value: 4 per grade.

What do you think? Is it useless (did I miss an option that does something similar)? Is it grossly unbalanced? If it is, what would you change to make it better? Should the spell point loss increase with the attack grade? Tongue

I could also add a new NPC quality that would nicely complement this one (though not for an Umbral Sorcerer):
Magical Fuel (+? XP): Any spell point drained by the character are also added to his own pool. Any spell point exceeding the character's maximum must be spent during the following round or is lost.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:15:53 AM »

In my opinion 5 spell points is a lot! It will render lower level mages utterly drained for the rest of the scene. Possibly reduce it to 1 point per round, but make it a persistant ability and add the stolen points to the users own pool?

Then again, i've never read the Monsternomicon, and I have no idea what you're aiming for so I could be way off base...  Sad

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:21:22 AM »

In my opinion 5 spell points is a lot! It will render lower level mages utterly drained for the rest of the scene. Possibly reduce it to 1 point per round, but make it a persistant ability and add the stolen points to the users own pool?
Well, 1 point is indeed less straining for low-level mages, but quite insignificant for high-level ones. Umbral Sorcerers are high-level threats invoked by mortals to slay other mages or even more powerful threats. So I granted them an Umbral Touch that would act as a magic draining attack III or IV. What if the spell point loss was grade-dependent? 1 spell point per grade would allow for less-powerful attacks though not precluding powerful ones.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:33:13 AM »

1 spell point per grade, to a max of 5 grades seems like a very nice middle ground to me. Perhaps 3XP per grade?

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
dorward
Jr. Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 04:42:07 AM »

How about pulling the amount drained off the NPC Attack Trait table on page 229?

That lets you vary the amount drained by buying extra levels, and goes someway to making it effective without being a complete wipeout at all levels.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 05:13:19 AM »

Actually, that had occurred to me - just make it a special attack, with a Will save DC of 10+threat level+charisma mod.

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »

Actually, that had occurred to me - just make it a special attack, with a Will save DC of 10+threat level+charisma mod.
You mean a spell, used as a natural spell?
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »

No, like the special attacks that you can give to NPCs.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »

Why not make it threat level in spell points drained? Or perhaps Half threat level?  That way its a threat from low to high levels.  Sorta like Draining, Life - just instead of HP its SP.
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »

No, like the special attacks that you can give to NPCs.
That's what it's supposed to be since the beginning, an extraordinary NPC attack, just like the other draining attacks.
Why not make it threat level in spell points drained? Or perhaps Half threat level?  That way its a threat from low to high levels.  Sorta like Draining, Life - just instead of HP its SP.
Half threat level, I like it. Looks a lot like Draining Life indeed, though more powerful. Hence the 5 XP/grade. Huhu, that's cool. Thanks to you both.  Cool

Edit: concerning Magical Fuel, I'll go for 2 or 3 PX, since Unlimited Spell Points already costs 5.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 02:18:29 PM by aegis » Logged
pawsplay