Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 06:59:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Brainstorming based on M:tG (races)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brainstorming based on M:tG (races)  (Read 2219 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2010, 12:00:18 AM »

Started researching Viashino. 35 of those guys in M:tG (including 2 legendary Viashino, both dragon-shamans). Lots of good data to work with there. They seem to be extraordinarly well addapted to desert life (including the potential ability to swim in sand). I'm expecting their sub-race feat (tentatively Red-Scale Clutch) to include Iconic Specialties and probably pretty substantial heat resistance. Social groups are called thrashes, and individual thrashes can display fairly unique characteristics, so I'm looking at Red-Scale Crest having some choices of benefit to represent various thrashes. Might also do a legendary class, as they have lots of good flavor text about observing the wisdom and guidance of 'the Bey'.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
agent oni
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2010, 10:42:35 AM »

Thran is a special construction unborn.
An existing one or something new? I Know they exist but don't know them very well. They were an element of backstory rather than directly represented on cards.

I don't get how Thran is an unborn unless that was the name given to Urza's metal golem.  My understanding was that the Thran was an ancient civilization.  The meta-Thran were the result of genetic recombination.
Morganti
Handler

Endless Eternity, Eternally Endless.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 02:10:30 PM »

Thran is a special construction unborn.
An existing one or something new? I Know they exist but don't know them very well. They were an element of backstory rather than directly represented on cards.

I don't get how Thran is an unborn unless that was the name given to Urza's metal golem.  My understanding was that the Thran was an ancient civilization.  The meta-Thran were the result of genetic recombination.
I may be miss remembering, its been like 10 years since I read the brothers war Smiley

~Do you think its possible that someone else is doing this very same thing at this very same moment?~
~D~
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 02:22:12 PM »

I may be miss remembering, its been like 10 years since I read the brothers war Smiley

You might want to check out the Encyclopedia Phyrexianna. They seem to have a pretty concise run down of the metaplot.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2010, 06:46:47 AM »

Until I put them all on the same page, I hadn't realized ALL moonfolk fly Roll Eyes. That's gonna make fo ran interesting offshoot race. Some new tech there.

Kor are just about done. There representation in the current block is both rich and fairly obvious how to proceed, mechanically.

My newest inspiration is spellshapers. Heh, heh, hehhh... When all you've got is one spell...

Number Three
Handler

I have become Deathbus, destoyer of threads.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »

My newest inspiration is spellshapers. Heh, heh, hehhh... When all you've got is one spell...

I'm assuming that would be a speciality?

(Sorry for the sudden intrusion, I just don't equate M:tG with "consistent, logical world building" outside of a few recent exceptions.)

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010, 11:12:52 AM »

I'm assuming that would be a speciality?

Yup! Actualy if the new mechanic polishes up well, it'll probably form the foundation for a bunch of potential "spellshaping" profesions/specialties. An actual "Spellshaper" Specialty would just be the generalized/selectable case. Kinda like Gifted, but for magical settings.

(Sorry for the sudden intrusion, I just don't equate M:tG with "consistent, logical world building" outside of a few recent exceptions.)

Well, the world building is hit and miss, but the hit rate is geting slightly higher over time (and there are still things to be learned from negative examples... Lorwyn/Shadowmoor had one very obvious flaw in hindsight: no humans). However, their rules grammar/syntax is some of the most precise and useful in the business, and combined with a lot of art and generally good card naming, it's ussually a great package to get my creative juices working. I look at adapting/mimicing pieces more that trying to convert whole worlds (ussually - Ravnica is still good enough I ponder a more detailed adaptation. Alara was amazing in presentation).

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: