Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 08:57:14 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  ManaPunk?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: ManaPunk?  (Read 1098 times)
Race
Recruit

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2010, 11:56:57 AM »

I have a dream!

I've had this dream long before FC was available. *grins* And now that FC is here, I would LOVE to see that dream make at LEAST some small progress.

That there are fire arms tables and a lovely pic of draconic pistol on pg. 176 only makes me grin wider. Big swords? Check! Buckles to Swash? Check! Magic to Cast? Check! ...So whats missing from my dreams?

More gadget based stuff I think? I'm not sure...

I used to read SoulSaga (check out http://www.SoulSaga.com, if you like) and BattleChasers (http://www.battlechasers.com, too if you like), awesome comic books with... well its not steampunk. I guess I need a new term. I dub thee, ManaPunk?

High Fantasy. High Magic. Where Mages are mages and mighty Swordsmen are swordsmen of note. Airships. armored vehicles to move across the dangerous landscape.

Some things are easy enough to re-imagine. flying creatures. hoards of little goblins. fire arms (though I imagine them using some sort of naturally occurring combustible mana related mineral in my campaign).

But what would be a good source to build airships? SC2.0? Gadgets? Armor that looks way heavier then it should? (maybe just what happens when you magically empower it in any fashion) powered mundane weapons? (the same for weapons but with a particular damage type added?) Giant Robot PC's? (I think I can use use the unborn with some sort of large template Master Class? or a Racial offshoot feat tree?) Campaign Qualities? Suggestions? I'd love to hear interpretations on the subject.

Come, help make my dreams of a ManaPunk game come to fruition  Grin
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 12:17:16 PM »

For robotic PCs check the Origin of the Species: Transmechs.
It's for SC2.0, but can probably be translated into FC quite easily.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:22:19 PM »

Airships and tanks and such are just gear (vehicles) - add a stat line or crib one from SC 2.0, set a prive suitable to your setting, and you are good to go.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:29:51 PM »

Magical enchancements are just prizes with the 'housing' as 'you'. Just like how cybernetics were gadgets with the housing set as you.

Powered mundane weapons are just magical item prizes with different fluff and weaknesses. Anti-tech field instead of anti-magic field or whatever.

Never really found a mecha system for d20 that I really liked, but GoO's system in BESM d20 can probably be cribbed.

Tanks and airships and what not are, as Morg said, just vehicles.

Robotic PCs can be Unborn or cribbed from Transmechs.

Qualities realy depend on the feal you're going for.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Doublebond
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DungeonPunk
Race
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 01:12:17 AM »

thanks again guys for your help and thoughts *goes off to buy Transmechs*
Rhishisikk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 01:36:06 PM »

Or just Unborn with the Kaiju template for GIANT robots.  If you already have transmechs, you can apply the template to them as well. 

Both Fantasy Craft and SpyCraft are excellent choices for DungeonPunk!  The characters are quite capable of over-the-top action.  Properly built characters can topple squads of minions in two combat rounds; the Soldier can participate in political negotiations, the Mage isn't so overpowering at higher levels, and definitely not as helpless at low levels - flexibility is key.

I've seen how players adapt to this system - at first, they think they're pigeon-holed like other D20 systems.  Then they see one of the established PCs do something out of character.  Shock, awe, 'wait you mean I can do that, too'?  And best of all, the base 10 DC for simple tasks that speaks clearly that the PCs are HEROES, not just minor players in a larger stage filled with NPCs they could never hope to match.

On the other hand, flexibility also has its downside.  'Answer box', the parplegiac Unborn, really doesn't need to be considered as a PC choice - but you CAN do it.

Rule #3:  I will never change into a giant snake, it never helps.
JymB
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 04:20:36 PM »

Another thing along these lines, something I have been toying with for some time now, is the FFX, FFXII, and FFXIII games settings. They have both tech and magic, and it never goes into which is which but can be easily worked together.
Ideas of things like the energy from FF7, materia, being a distilled or made solid form of arcane energy. In my setting, it forms along ley lines all across the lands and is farmed for all sorts of uses, and is commonly called manarete. That is until I can come up with a  cooler name.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: