Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 05:20:11 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Iron Kingdoms for Fantasy Craft?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Iron Kingdoms for Fantasy Craft?  (Read 18116 times)
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 08, 2010, 04:33:39 AM »

Lately, I've been messing around with FC's rules and started to wonder if I could convert the Iron Kingdoms RPG. The result was ... wow, impressive. FC fits so nicely to IK's setting, feel, and mechanics that I had mostly nothing to do than add a little "flavor text" to link the one with the other.

I also know, from IK's boards, that a new official system is being designed by Privateer Press for the game. As far as I've heard, they plan on building a brand new system. But sincerely, the perfect fit between FC and IK makes me wonder ... Is there any chance Privateer Press would be interested in Fantasy Craft for their next "edition"? Have they shown any interest yet?

In the meantime, the conversion document for IK to FC is sooooo simple and easy to build that I will definitely try to translate it in English as soon as I'm done. Right now, I'm done with Origins, Classes, and Interests. Skills and feats should be quite as easy and quick, but I guess Gear (with mechamagik items and alchemy) will require a little more time. I'll keep you posted!  Wink
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 05:26:01 AM »

FC fits so nicely to IK's setting, feel, and mechanics that I had mostly nothing to do than add a little "flavor text" to link the one with the other.

Hmm, it's almost like one or more members of the Crafty team also worked on the IKRPG.

Wink

Seriously, though, the similarities are pretty great. Sure, there are no Orcs and Goblins in the Iron Kingdoms, and Drakes are right out of the question, but everything else is pretty close. Elves need a little tweaking, Ogres can easily be remade into Ogrun and Trollkin, and Unborn are just about perfect for the inhabitants of the Scharde Isles.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 07:00:35 AM »

Seriously, though, the similarities are pretty great. Sure, there are no Orcs and Goblins in the Iron Kingdoms,

Er, what are gobbers to you?

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 12:13:56 PM »

Let's play Spot the units Wolvie doesn't ever take in his Hordemachine armies Wink

Gobbers are considerably different from FC Goblins, though Boggers (sp?) might be a little closer.

"Dickhead books?"
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »

Let's play Spot the units Wolvie doesn't ever take in his Hordemachine armies Wink

Gobbers are considerably different from FC Goblins, though Boggers (sp?) might be a little closer.

I don't know if I'd say considerably, but Gobbers is the race I'd want as a PC race over Bogrin. I'd juggle a few things around to represent their more civilized nature (like making Keeper one of the iconic classes.)

Hmmm. I might even consider using Pech as a starting point instead of goblins. I dunno... I'd have to pull my books out if I were so motivated.

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 03:22:58 AM »

Hmmm. I might even consider using Pech as a starting point instead of goblins. I dunno... I'd have to pull my books out if I were so motivated.

I'm not too sure where my IKCG is stored, so much of this is based on memory....

Swamp Goblins (aka Gobbers)

Attributes: +1 Str, -1 Wis [1]
Base Speed: 30 ft.
Always Ready [2]
Bonus Feat: Basic Skill Mastery (Trader) [3]
Enlightened Craft [1]
Iconic Classes: Keeper and Scout [-1]
Reviled -5 [-1]
Sharp Mind [2]

Basically, Gobbers are natural tinkers and traders who are often mistrusted by more civilised folks.

"Dickhead books?"
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 03:45:24 AM »

I was planning on using goblins with the Southern Horde feat for gobbers, who are a more civilized and maybe evolved version of goblins, while the boggers would remain regular goblins, with maybe the Northern Horde feat for some of them. Thoughts?
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 03:56:23 AM »

The Southern Horde trick is actually exactly what I've done for my Iron Kingdoms/Fantasy Craft games. I've found that the core FC goblin with a little fluff retooling fits pretty well. I especially liked how I had one player ask me, "What about the skin pigmentation camouflage thing? How does that translate?" Seemed to me that Ambush Basics covers that just fine.

As far as Northern or any of the other Hordes, twisting up a little fluff to make each one work shouldn't be too hard. I haven't figured out how exactly to do it, but I could see Northern Horde being some sort of 'cave gobber', Eastern Horde becomes the 'swamp gobbers', etc.

I've also got a Trollkin Species that I wrote somewhere that uses the hearty appetite and fast healing NPC quality (which I believe the board folks had costed at 2 points back in the day, but not sure if that's accurate according to Fantasy Craft Origin points). Origin benefit and opened up their Splinter Race Feats with Elemental Heritage/Legacy. Thought that covered a lot of the different kind of Trollkin that I've seen pop up in Monsternomican I & II.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 04:45:07 AM »

Origin benefit and opened up their Splinter Race Feats with Elemental Heritage/Legacy.

How about making a series of feats like either the 'Horde' feats for Orcs and Goblins or the 'Clutch' feats for Saurians, which each feat relating to one of the different major Kriels (or regions), with a bonus one for the albino sorcerers? Pygs would be a separate race, but also have access to the Kriel feats (much like Goblins). It may be time to break out the Hordes books and start compiling the fluff into options.

Thought that covered a lot of the different kind of Trollkin that I've seen pop up in Monsternomican I & II.

Are you talking about Trollkin, or full-blooded Trolls? I remember reading about a lot of different trolls, but I don't recall such differences within the trollkin population. I may have missed something from MNII, though.

"Dickhead books?"
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 08:26:40 AM »

The Monsternomicon's Troll entry includes the Trollkin as the most advanced species of Troll, so I figured I'd make Trollkin the 'default' if you don't choose Elemental Heritage. If you do, it represents the troll changing its physiology through what it eats which is how they explain the Pyre and Slag Trolls in the MN II. It doesn't port over perfectly with the fluff, but it's quick and dirty enough for my purposes.

I managed to find it...

Trollkin
Splinter Race Feats: Elemental Heritage (pitch, slag, winter, pyre, and others). Unless you choose this, you're a 'trollkin.'
  • Attributes: +4 Strength, Constitution, or Charisma, -2 to next highest attribute. [4.0]
  • Base Speed: 30 ft.
  • Fast Healing: You heal at twice the standard rate. [2.0]
  • Hearty Appetite: You benefit from the first 2 food and 2 beverages you consume each day. [1.0]
  • Iconic Classes: Sage and Soldier. [-1.0]
  • Thick Hide 2: You’re considered to be wearing partial armor that provides Damage Reduction 2. This DR does not stack with other armor (only the best protection applies). [1.0]

Looking back through MN I & II (and I need to dig the IKCG back out, too), I think this still needs some tweaking. Iron gut would be nice, but I'm not sure what penalty to add, although I might not need one since I'm using Spycraft Origin point values for the attributes and fast healing.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2010, 09:24:45 AM »

Hehe...my latest project involves trying to come up with decent parallels of many fantasy races using our system. I had mapped Gobbers as Goblin + Southern Horde and Trollkin as Ogres + Stone Brave. Foghorn, I do like your version for the most part - you always get the finest detail via specifically designed Species, but the greatest flexibility out of using the base pieces.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 10:40:56 AM »

you always get the finest detail via specifically designed Species, but the greatest flexibility out of using the base pieces
Indeed, and as a lazy person who wants to re-use existing rules rather than creating new ones whenever possible, that's how I build my "conversion guides". But that's just me. Tongue

By the way, it's taking a little more time than expected to fully convert all the Alignments, considering all the ascendants, legates, and sects of each cult, but Morrow and Thamar are now done. I'm quite interested in playing a Thamar priestess, with Paths such as Deception, Beauty, and Secrets. I guess she would definitely look like the "underground priest" she always should have been. I'll try to suggest this concept to one of my players when we start playing Witchfire.
Foghorn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »

I also had grandiose plans to make a "Fell Caller Basics/Mastery/Supremacy" sort of thing (that and Trollkin sorcerers was why the option for a Charisma boost) and really flesh it out more. Mostly, I loved the bit of fluff about how Trolls and Trollkin are always hungry and are known for eating a lot of food and wanted to include hearty appetite as one of their benefits but didn't see Pech as a very good starting point.

I definitely always look to use what's already there just to keep things easy for my players and myself, but I also love how much fun it is to use the Origin design rules and so I'll use any excuse I can to play with them.

By the way, it's taking a little more time than expected to fully convert all the Alignments, considering all the ascendants, legates, and sects of each cult, but Morrow and Thamar are now done.

I was thinking about doing the Ascendants and Scions using the Astral Magic rules Morg put up not to long ago. Thought that would be a fun spin on things.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:39:42 PM by Foghorn » Logged
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 05:46:30 AM »

OK, first part done. I'm not sure about translations, but I hope it will still be readable. I'll give you the outline :

Short introduction with texts from myself.

Species: Situation of most races in the IK, including humans by kingdom. Boggers are handled as Goblins, while Gobbers are Goblins with the Southern Horde feat. Ogruns are handled as Ogres, and Trollkins as Ogres with the Stone Brave feat, even if they are completely different races in the setting, it's just mechanics. Trollkin-specific gear will be introduced in the gear section, though.

Specialties: Six of them, that are based on classes from the setting (not sure at all about translations here): the War Healer of Morrow, the Gun Mage, the Mechamage, the Intruder, the Gunner, the Tinker. New origin abilities: Trigger-happy, reduces the load quality of any gun by 1 [cost 2]; Battery loader, allows to reload batteries at the cost of 2 spell points per charge and without risk of overloading [cost 2]; Vicious shot, inflict +2 damage on standard characters with guns [cost 2]; Saboteur, inflict +2 damage on items and constructs [cost 2]. Then few words on "how to make a good ..." for each class of the setting, pointing out Specialties, feats, and classes well-fitting for each concept.

Talents: No new Talents, but advices on which Talents for which human nation.

Master classes: Only four, very setting-related as they should be. They were way easier to build than Eberron's. The Deathcryer (Trollkin parangon) is mostly a Captain with Shouts. They affect enemies at short range and produce various effects (like stress damage, conditions, bang damage, and sonic damage at level 5). The Mechatactician (Human mage parangon) is a warmage that has a jack companion and who can sacrifice his spell points to enhance his own or his jack's abilities. Powerful on the short term but can empty his spell points way faster than a Mage if he isn't careful. The Darkrobe (Human priest parangon) is a druid of the Circle that has a stone companion and abilities related with nature and destructive energies. The Mage hunter (Elf parangon) is an assassin with anti-magic abilities, very resilient to spells at high level. I think he might adapt well to any other setting including sorcery.

Alignments: Nine major cults. Cyriss's Paths are Magic, Metal, Protection, Knowledge, Secrets, and Travel. Dhunia's are Air, Water, Fire, Earth, Nature, and Beasts. Menoth's are Heroism, Strength, War, Order, Protection, and Knowledge (the Ancient Cult is mentioned but with no variant). Morrow's Paths are Good, Heroism, Strength, War, Light, Life, Travel, Protection, Knowledge (his ascendants and sects are mentioned and some have different Paths and/or ritual weapons). Nyssor's are Air, Chaos, Water, Wilderness, Beasts, and Knowledge. The Original Fathers's are Good, Strength, War, Heroism, Light, Metal, Order, Protection, Earth, and Life (some Fathers offer different Paths and/or ritual weapons; the Clay Women are only mentioned). Thamar, my favorite, has the Paths of Beauty, Deceit, Destruction, War, Heroism, Magic, Death, Evil, and Darkness (her scions or sects may confer others). Scyrah's are Nature, Protection, Beasts, Life, Earth, and Secrets. The Devourer Worm's are Beasts, Chaos, Destruction, Nature, Strength, Survival (the Circle is only mentioned). Cyriss is opposed to Dhunia, the Devourer Worm, and the Original Fathers. Menoth to Thamar, Morrow and the Devourer Worm. Morrow with his sister as well.

Languages: All the main speaking and dead tongues (20 to 30) of the IK are listed as possible choices.

Studies: New Studies include mechamagic, steam machines, cults, jacks, Urcaën, political or power groups like the Knights of the Prophet or the Circle, guns, skornes, far regions like the Heliotrope March.

Skills: New Focus for Crafting, including steam machines, guns, gears, and mechamagic items. GMs might require several of these for one piece of work. New Focus for Ride (jacks), but I'm not sure about this one yet. Still trying to figure out how you force an animal to accomplish something when he's reluctant (because of danger or training), and I'll certainly apply the same to jacks... Also, jacks are trained with Survival like animals.

Feats: I'll try a simple and generic conversion for organization-related feats. I like those. Others are mostly useless or redundant with what already exists in Fantasy Craft, though I like the feats dealing with tinkering.

Equipment: I've came up with few ideas. I'd like to try introducing new upgrades, rather than neverending lists of new gear. For example, goods may have the telescopic upgrade (only if GM rules it's applicable). Guns may have the double-barrel upgrade (+150% cost?), and guns and melee weapons may be fused together (sum of both costs +200 sp?). I'm also thinking about "kingdom" upgrades, like Khador's guns that have a massive barrel but deal heavy damage. Only ideas, but if I can mix them up, I might be able to represent with only few upgrades (and all those that already exist in FC) a large catalog of weapons with no effort. If you have any specific idea here, I'm really willing to take it.

Magic and Mechamagic: That would be the most difficult part. I'll come back to that one later.

Bestiary: I'll keep it at a minimum for now. Examples of jacks and Circle druid's stone companion maybe, that's all.

Campaigns: Dunno yet which campaign qualities I'll use, but I will certainly introduce a new sub-sorcery quality concerning healing magic and resurrection. I thought lost magic would do the trick, but now I don't think it's just enough. We'll see...

That's all, folks. Thoughts, remarks? Smiley
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 05:50:34 AM by aegis » Logged
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 08:39:20 AM »

I look at IK as a bit of an on/off project, for Scions/Ascendants I've been looking at 2-part alignments, so you have:
Morrow:
Note, unlike a standard alignment, a follower of Morrow may select an Ascendant, which adds an additional Path, Skill and sets the Ritual Weapon.
Paths: Good, War
Alignment Skills: Crafting, Investigate, Search
Opposed Alignments: Thamarr
Ascendants:
Morrow’s Ascension: (for those who follow Morrow but favor no Ascendant)
   Path: Life
   Skill: Tactics
   Ritual Weapon: Longsword
Katrena (f):
   Path: Heroism
   Skill: Athletics
   Ritual Weapon: Longsword
Ellena (f):
   Path: Travel
   Skill: Ride
   Ritual Weapon: Mace
Doleth (m):