Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 06:41:50 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Movie News, Reviews, & Reactions 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 83 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Movie News, Reviews, & Reactions 2010  (Read 81266 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2010, 02:47:21 AM »

Saw adverts for Despicable Me. All I could think was that neither villain could hold a candle to archvillain Edna Mode from the Incredibles...

The Auld Grump
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:48:40 AM by Crafty_Pat » Logged

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2010, 02:55:51 AM »

All I could think was that neither villain could hold a candle to archvillain Edna Mode from the Incredibles...

Umm... you have seen The Incredibles, right? Edna's the 'Q' character, not the villain Tongue

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2010, 03:06:32 AM »

All I could think was that neither villain could hold a candle to archvillain Edna Mode from the Incredibles...

Umm... you have seen The Incredibles, right? Edna's the 'Q' character, not the villain Tongue
Let's see...
Monologues - and the heroes listen.
Secret underground lab - protected by death rays
Megalomanic tendencies - I used to design for gods!
Obvious threats aimed at hero, followed by quips - Machine washable. That's a new feature darlink.
Obvious headquarters above secret lab - including large bronze statue.

She is a villain who has the heroes right where they want her!

The Auld Grump

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »

Grin

"Dickhead books?"
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 06:47:39 PM »

Possibly not news, but it wasn't in the other movie thread:

Robert Rodriguez to film live action remake of The Jetsons.

Came across this because I was watching the Jetsons this morning while eating breakfast, and thought "This must be the only show from my childhood that hasn't been remade yet."  Did some googling and it turns out I was wrong, or at least will be soon.  The upshot is its Rodriguez, and I like all of his films that I've seen, so I'm confident.  Plus with modern special effects, it could keep all the hyper futuristic style of the original and not look pants.
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:52:14 AM »

Jason Momoa, who plays the dreadlock-wearing Ronon Dex on Stargate Atlantis, is in negotiations to portray Robert E. Howard’s Conan the Barbarian in a new film that Marcus Nispel is directing for Nu Image/Millennium Films.  The reboot of cinema’s number one barbarian franchise in which Conan avenges the death of his father and the slaughter of his tribesmen, will begin principal photography in Bulgaria in the middle of March.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, producers of the Conan film had narrowed their choice to Momoa and Kellan Lutz of Twilight before settling on the six foot-four-inch half-Hawaiian actor, who will also be seen in HBO’s adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s A Game of Thrones.

Grin

"Dickhead books?"
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:02:24 AM »

Momoa is a solid choice to play Conan. The guy is agile, athletic, stronger than he appears, can bring a growl to his voice & an animalism that will be needed. Plus, he is very handy with melee weapons. I approve the idea of him.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 01:07:21 AM »

This has my undivided attention.

It also greatly intrigues me to see what happens from their switching up Conan's previously firmly-entrenched live-action Germanic ethnicity

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 04:49:55 AM »

Back from a double feature of Book of Eli and Lovely Bones. The first is art that speaks to the soul and the second is artistry that speaks to the heart. Both are flat-out amazing. I haven't felt this satisfied coming home from the theater in a long, long time. Smiley

Also, I find myself a bit surprised that it's Lovely Bones' In-Between and not Avatar's Pandora that convinces me we're finally ready for a full-bore realization of Lovecraft's most fantastic works (Del Toro, I'm lookin' at you!).
I saw Book of Eli last night...

I thought that it was good, except for the central premise 'Oh no, they destroyed all the Bibles!'

Umm, yeah, right. Bibles are like cockroaches - there are so many copies out there that the 'last remaining copy on Earth' would be quite some time after the last remaining person on Earth had come to dust. And for every moron running around burning Bibles there would be an idiot shooting the morons who tried.... (Yes, I can think ill of both sides of this kind of silliness.)

Fun movie, but my disbelief suspenders were not up to that level of credulity.  Undecided The movie did remind me a bit of Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, especially the ending, and the visuals were very nice indeed - makes me want a Fallout movie.

Eli being a prophet would not have bothered me, it was the destruction of all but one copy of the Bible that I could not buy into. Folks in the US cling too hard to their religious dogma to let me believe that could happen.

The Auld Grump

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 05:00:36 AM »

The movie did remind me a bit of Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, especially the ending, and the visuals were very nice indeed - makes me want a Fallout movie.

Funny you should mention that, but when I saw the trailer I thought of Fahrenheit 451, just in regards to the premise.  I'll get to see it when its finally out down here [sometime in 2011 probably, stupid Australia].

Between this and The Road, I think the worlds ready for a good Fallout film.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »

it was the destruction of all but one copy of the Bible that I could not buy into.

I was feeling the same way until I realized that it is their perception that it was the last Bible. In the chaos of "the flash", how could they possibly know if they were all destroyed. Eli walked for 30 years but only traveled west and the bulk of the film, as far as we can probably tell, was on the eastern side of the Rockies. There were probably still Bibles in the northern MidWest that survived or in other hard to reach areas of the country like Alaska.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 12:10:08 AM »

it was the destruction of all but one copy of the Bible that I could not buy into.

I was feeling the same way until I realized that it is their perception that it was the last Bible. In the chaos of "the flash", how could they possibly know if they were all destroyed. Eli walked for 30 years but only traveled west and the bulk of the film, as far as we can probably tell, was on the eastern side of the Rockies. There were probably still Bibles in the northern MidWest that survived or in other hard to reach areas of the country like Alaska.
Given the sheer number of Bibles, I do not see it ever becoming something that anyone believed. I doubt that they would even find the last copy in any given town....

Hell, I own several, and I am only nominally Christian. An unfair consideration, I will admit - I studied theology and comparative religion, and still have an interest. A disproportionate number of U/Us share this interest.

The Auld Grump

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 12:20:37 AM »

Hell, I own several, and I am only nominally Christian. An unfair consideration, I will admit - I studied theology and comparative religion, and still have an interest. A disproportionate number of U/Us share this interest.

I'm not Christian and I have four. An old pre-civil war family bible, the pocket bible my grandfather carried during WWII, the bible my grandmother gave my father when enlisted in the Navy (not that it helped, I'm thirty and Mom still won't let him tell me some of his stories  Wink), and my text book bible from my required theology course in college.

Suffice to say, I find it hard to swallow the no more bibles concept. I wouldn't be surprised if there were two or three bibles for every household in the US. Before anyone says they don't own one, consider that there are a number of homes with more then one, for whatever reason, not to mention libraries and hotels.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »

I'm not Christian and I have four. An old pre-civil war family bible, the pocket bible my grandfather carried during WWII, the bible my grandmother gave my father when enlisted in the Navy (not that it helped, I'm thirty and Mom still won't let him tell me some of his stories  Wink), and my text book bible from my required theology course in college.

Suffice to say, I find it hard to swallow the no more bibles concept. I wouldn't be surprised if there were two or three bibles for every household in the US. Before anyone says they don't own one, consider that there are a number of homes with more then one, for whatever reason, not to mention libraries and hotels.

Umm.. I don't own one....  although my mother probably own a couple... so I guess that makes up for me not having one.

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 07:09:05 AM »

And there seems to be a Bible in just about every single hotel room in existence.

Nearly 76.9 million Gideon Scriptures were given out in nearly 85 languages in 187 countries last year. Close to 1.5 billion Scriptures have been distributed since 1908, when the Gideons first began to place Bibles in hotel rooms.

While worldwide Gideon Scripture distributions increased by one-third from 2004 through 2007, U.S. distributions have averaged about 10.5 million annually for the last few years. Gideons want to try to increase that number to 12 million by the end of the group's fiscal year in May.

I haven't seen the movie yet, though I do plan on it, but there being only a single bible left in existence seems highly unlikely, bordering on damn near impossible.  And even though I am a devout Pastafarian, if I looked hard enough, I know of at least 2 bibles in this house in addition to a children's  version around somewhere.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 83 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: