Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2014, 07:12:09 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Shapeshifting Druid build?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shapeshifting Druid build?  (Read 7535 times)
Brakk
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 02:44:52 AM »

AFAIK, Crafty will release shapechange/polymorph spells in one of the upcoming supplements. So with that on its way, I would probably go with the Path that grants me the ability to cast those spells.
I think shapechange/polymorph spells are already available in Spycraft but are somewhat unbalanced. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Also, if you're going for the whole DnD druid thing, you should take the opportunity to expand his wildshape list with things such as plants and weather phenomena, but don't go overboard for balance reasons. Remember, druids are connected to the whole nature, not just the animals.

The Expert Class template is the default template for all Crafty Games elevated classes. That's where Khaalis is getting it.

Where can I get this template? It sounds useful

pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2010, 11:44:05 AM »

I see core abilities as being central to a character, not a class. After all, you can have several base classes, but only one core base ability, and several expert classes but only one core expert ability. A mage's core ability says, "This is a dude who basically just casts a lot more spells than other dudes." In designing a core ability, it's important to realize it will be missing from people who dabble in the class.

I think a Wilder's core ability should be something related to shapeshifting or being in a natural environment, something that says, "This is the dude who lives in the woods and turns into bears and stuff, MUCH, much more than somoene who just occasionally goes camping and turns into a rabbit."
Doublebond
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2010, 02:48:24 PM »

I think a Wilder's core ability should be something related to shapeshifting or being in a natural environment, something that says, "This is the dude who lives in the woods and turns into bears and stuff, MUCH, much more than somoene who just occasionally goes camping and turns into a rabbit."

My own suggestion has yet to be responded to, so I supposed to throw it out there again.

To put it simply: the wilder gains the ability to change forms with a half-action upon spending an action dice.

Yay or nay?
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2010, 05:49:55 PM »

Here we go again round 3!

Wilder

Class Features
Requirements: Miracles Campaign Quality, Alignment, Survival 6+, Pathfinder Basics
Class Skills: Athletics, Crafting, Impress, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Survival, Alignment Skills
Skill Points: 8 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 6+ Con modifier per level

Core Ability

One with Nature: When you use your Wildshape ability, you gain a bonus d6 action dice. Unless used, the action die is lost at the end of the current scene.

Class Abilities
Wildshape I: At Level 1, you gain the ability as a Full Action to transform into one chosen Special Character Animal form with an XP value not to exceed 50 + 5 x your permanent Terrain Feats. You may choose your Wildshape from the Bestiary or build an orignal NPC with GM approval. While in Animal Form you may only use the Statistics and Abilities of your chosen Animal Form and the ability to return to your own normal form. Further, you may remain in your chosen form until you change form again or until the end of the current scene. If your animal form is ever killed you are focred back to your own form and stunned for 1d6 minutes afterward.
Each Animal form must be set at the start of each adventure but can be changed by spending 4 hours of Downtime studying a new animal to transform into.  
Wildshape II: At level 4, your Wildshape's maximum XP value increases by 20 more. Also you may divide  the total XP value between 2 different Wildshape forms.
Wildshape III: At level 6, your Wildshape's maximum XP value increases by 20 more (total increase of 40). Further your Wildshape forms may now include Beast or Plant types.
Wildshape IV: At Level 8, your Wildshape's maxmimum XP value increases by 20 more (total increase of 60). Also you may divide  the total XP value between 3 different Wildshape forms.
Wildshape V: At Level 10, your Wildshape's maxmimum XP value increases by 20 more (total increase of 80). Also you may divide  the total XP value between 4 different Wildshape forms.

Nature Sense  I: At Level 2, you may substitute your Survival Skill in place of your Saving throw against spells from Charm Discipline . Further you gain Pathfinder Mastery Feat.
Nature Sense  II: At Level 7.you may substitute your Survival Skill in place of your Saving Throw against spells from Illusion Discipline. Further you gain Pathfinder Supremacy Feat

Way of the Wilds: At Levels 3,5,7, and 9, you may either gain 1 Terrain feat or take 1 step on one of your Alignment’s Path.

Venom Immunity: At Level 4, you gain Damage Immunity (Contagions) NPC Quality.

Timeless Body: At Level 8, you no longer feel suffer from the ravages of time.
 Until killed, you appear to be an age of your choosing up to your actual age. This age must be chosen when you gain this ability.  Further, your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores all increase by 1 each.

Table XX: The Wilder
Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Def Init LS Lgnd Abilities

1   +0   +2  +1   +1  +1   +1  +0  +1  One with Nature, Wildshape I
 2   +1   +3  +2   +2  +1   +1  +0  +1  Nature Sense I
 3   +2   +3  +2   +2  +2   +2  +1  +2  Way of the wilds
 4   +3   +4  +2   +2  +2   +2  +1  +2  Venom Immunity, Wildshape II
 5   +3   +4  +3   +3  +3   +3  +1  +3  Way of the wilds
 6   +4   +5  +3   +3  +4   +4  +2  +3  Wildshape III
 7   +5   +5  +4   +4  +4   +4  +2  +4  Nature Sense II, Way of the wilds
 8   +6   +6  +4   +4  +5   +5  +2  +4  Timeless Body, Wildshape IV
 9   +6   +6  +4   +4  +5   +5  +3  +5  Way of the wilds
10  +7  +7   +5   +5  +6   +6  +3  +5  Wildshape V
Doublebond
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2010, 08:24:56 PM »

You need to put a limit on One With Nature. It's immediately exploitable presently by changing back and forth from one of your animal forms. You could have it so you only gain one such die per scene, but I like the idea of the player losing it after he changes back from his wildshape. That way he always has at least 1 action die on hand whenever he changes into his wildshape form, no matter how many times he's forced to change into it a scene.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2010, 09:42:40 PM »

It's very bland.

The core ability amounts to a free action dice for doing what you're going to do anyway, the abilities are just the same thing over and over, and the game breaker has no character or flavor to it, just more of the same that youve gotten for the last ten levels.

Honestly, shape-shifting like this feels more like a feat chain than an expert class.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
pawsplay