Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 09:02:29 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Shapeshifting Druid build?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shapeshifting Druid build?  (Read 7580 times)
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 03:40:04 PM »

I've never been entirely sure where the Druid being a shapeshifter came from? Much like Drow and doctor-clerics it seems to be a D&Dism that I'm happy to drop.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 03:42:21 PM »

I believe it was a D&D staple as far back as 2nd Ed

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 05:49:28 PM »

Here is my quick take on a Shapeshifting Druid like Class.

Wilder

Class Features
Requirements: Miracles Campaign Quality, Alignment, Survival 6+, Pathfinder Basics
Class Skills: Athletics, Crafting, Impress, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Survival, Alignment Skills
Skill Points: 8 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 6+ Con modifier per level

Core Ability

One with Nature: You gain a companion as per the Animal Partner Feat. You may gain the Animal Partner feat a second time later, as your character options allows. Also you gain a 20% discount on Weapons & Armour that are constructed from natural plants only. (Ie contain NO metal).

Class Abilities
Wildshape I: At Level 1, you gain the Shapeshifter I NPC quality with one chosen Animal form with an XP cost not to exceed 30 + 5 x your class level. At the start of each adventure you may assign your chosen forms. During the adventure you may spend 4 hours of Downtime to study another animal and change one of your chosen forms.Further, you remain in your chosen form until your change form or until the end of the current scene.
Wildshape II: At level 3, you may choose another Animal form which you can take (for a total of 2 forms). Further when you use your Wildshape ability you heal naturally as if you had rested for a number of hours equal to your class level.
Wildshape III: At Level 5, you gain the Shapeshifter II NPC quality. This replaces your previous Shapeshifter quality.
Wildshape IV: At level 7, you may choose another Animal form which you can take (for a total of 3 forms). Further it only takes you 1 Full Action to assume a chosen form.
Wildshape V: At level 9, you may choose two more Animal forms which you can take (for a total of 5 forms).

Nature Sense  I: At Level 2, you may substitute your Survival Skill in place of your Saving throw against spells from Charm Discipline . Further you gain Pathfinder Mastery Feat.
Nature Sense  II: At Level 7.you may substitute your Survival Skill in place of your Saving Throw against spells from Illusion Discipline. Further you gain Pathfinder Supremacy Feat

Way of the Wilds: At Levels 4,6, and 8, you may either gain 1 Terraint feat or take 1 step on one of your Alignment’s Path.

Venom Immunity: At Level 4, you gain Damage Immunity (Contagions) NPC Quality.

Truly Wild At Level 8, you may use your Wildshape abiilty to shapechange into chosen forms with the Plant or Beast type.

Timeless Body: At Level 10, you no longer feel suffer from the ravages of time.
 Until killed, you appear to be an age of your choosing up to your actual age. This age must be chosen when you gain this ability.  Further, your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores all increase by 2 each.

Table XX: The Wilder
Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Def Init LS Lgnd Abilities

1   +0   +2  +1   +1  +1   +1  +0  +1  One with Nature, Wildshape I
 2   +1   +3  +2   +2  +1   +1  +0  +1  Nature Sense I
 3   +2   +3  +2   +2  +2   +2  +1  +2  Wildshape II
 4   +3   +4  +2   +2  +2   +2  +1  +2  Venom Immunity, Way of the wilds
 5   +3   +4  +3   +3  +3   +3  +1  +3  Wildshape III
 6   +4   +5  +3   +3  +4   +4  +2  +3  Way of the wild
 7   +5   +5  +4   +4  +4   +4  +2  +4  Nature Sense II, Wildshape IV
 8   +6   +6  +4   +4  +5   +5  +2  +4  Truly wild, Way of the Wilds
 9   +6   +6  +4   +4  +5   +5  +3  +5  Wildshape V
10  +7  +7   +5   +5  +6   +6  +3  +5  Timeless Body

I'm not quite sure on the Gamebreaker and I need to say something about being able to change your chosen forms in downtime or soemthing.
Any suggestions?
Edit: Added in some info about duration of Wildshape and changed the gamebreaker and add a new ability to include different forms.
Edit II: Reworked Gamebreaker and added a bit more to Wildshape.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:35:54 PM by Medwyn » Logged
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 06:11:10 PM »

How about you gain the ability to change out one of your forms when you 24 hours of downtime. Also, you can change forms as a free action once a round, a number of times equal to your Terrain feats.
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 06:24:36 PM »

How about you gain the ability to change out one of your forms when you 24 hours of downtime. Also, you can change forms as a free action once a round, a number of times equal to your Terrain feats.

I was thinking more along the lines of : At the start of each adventure you may assign your chosen forms. During the adventure you may spend 4 hours of Downtime to change one chosen form.

Shapeshifter states it takes 2 Full actions to change form, and I was not going to put a limit on how often you can change form, but it might be worth putting in something like that : You remain in your chosen form until your change form or until the end of the current scene.
tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 07:28:59 PM »

The Gamebreaker seems a bit weak. It seems around the same power level as a feat from World on Fire (admittedly, a 3rd2nd-tier feat). I think a gamebreaker should be worth a lot more than a single feat, even one that ignores prerequisites.

How about something that lets them change forms as a half action, along with a further bonus to shapeshifted forms (e.g. increase the grade of all natural weapons by 1 grade, or granting Regeneration = starting action dice, or even both)?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:44:35 PM by tenebrae » Logged
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 08:26:09 PM »

The Gamebreaker seems a bit weak. It seems around the same power level as a feat from World on Fire (admittedly, a 3rd2nd-tier feat). I think a gamebreaker should be worth a lot more than a single feat, even one that ignores prerequisites.

I've upped the Gamebreaker a little more it does give a hefty bonus to attributes.
I'm tempted to lower the attribute gain a bit to add in something to reduce Cheating Death.

How about something that lets them change forms as a half action, along with a further bonus to shapeshifted forms (e.g. increase the grade of all natural weapons by 1 grade, or granting Regeneration = starting action dice, or even both)?

I've slightly upped some of the Wildshape abilities to try and cover what has been suggested.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 11:22:27 PM »

I think all that's left is this: you can change your shapes by spending 1 week of downtime in any region where that creature is native.
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2010, 11:35:02 PM »

I think all that's left is this: you can change your shapes by spending 1 week of downtime in any region where that creature is native.

Already included

Wildshape I: At Level 1, you gain the Shapeshifter I NPC quality with one chosen Animal form with an XP cost not to exceed 30 + 5 x your class level. At the start of each adventure you may assign your chosen forms. During the adventure you may spend 4 hours of Downtime to study another animal and change one of your chosen forms. Further, you remain in your chosen form until your change form or until the end of the current scene.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 06:05:43 AM »

*chuckle* Variation on the Personal lieutenant feat, with only one or the other (you or the lieuenant) existing at one time. Full round to change forms. If the lieutenant dies, you're forced back to your own form and stunned 1d6 minutes (yes, that'll pretty much kill you in any sort of hostile situation - don't scrimp on the form's basic toughness).

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 10:41:27 AM »

I've never been entirely sure where the Druid being a shapeshifter came from? Much like Drow and doctor-clerics it seems to be a D&Dism that I'm happy to drop.
It was there in Diablo II and now World of Warcraft.

I'm not keen on getting the animal pet.  If the PC wants and animal there are plenty of other ways to get it.  While having a faithful animal companion is arch-typical, it is not necessary.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
warlock69
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 12:00:41 PM »

The Wilder seems a bit overpowered to me.  It can change into a multitude of forms at will, each form with its own set of abilities, as well as heal damage from when you change.  No other class abilities in Fantasy Craft offer this much power so quickly.  It needs to be dialed down a bit.  Look in the book, Wild Side III only gives you 1 NPC quality and it is an 8th level spell.  Compare Wilder to the Beastmaster class.  I follow that suggestion about using a variation of Personal Lieutenant/Animal Partner.
Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 03:24:48 PM »

The Wilder seems a bit overpowered to me.  It can change into a multitude of forms at will, each form with its own set of abilities, as well as heal damage from when you change.  No other class abilities in Fantasy Craft offer this much power so quickly.  It needs to be dialed down a bit.  Look in the book, Wild Side III only gives you 1 NPC quality and it is an 8th level spell.  Compare Wilder to the Beastmaster class.  I follow that suggestion about using a variation of Personal Lieutenant/Animal Partner.

I don't think it is too powerful and Morg's idea would help lower the power level so.
Currently by 5th Career Level you can change into ONE ANIMAL form worth 35 XP, this increases by 5XP per level.
I'll do a quick rewrite replacing Shapeshifter with a more Personal Lieutenant Feat feel.

Medwyn
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2010, 04:08:27 PM »

Here is my second take on a Shapeshifting Druid like Class.

Wilder

Class Features
Requirements: Miracles Campaign Quality, Alignment, Survival 6+, Pathfinder Basics
Class Skills: Athletics, Crafting, Impress, Medicine, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Survival, Alignment Skills
Skill Points: 8 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 6+ Con modifier per level

Core Ability

One with Nature: You gain a companion as per the Animal Partner Feat. You may gain the Animal Partner feat a second time later, as your character options allows. Also you gain a 20% discount on Weapons & Armour that are constructed from natural plants only. (Ie contain NO metal).

Class Abilities
Wildshape I: At Level 1, you gain the ability as a Full Action to transform into one chosen Special Character Animal form with an XP value not to exceed 50 + 5 x your class level. You may choose your Wildshape from the Bestiary or build an orignal NPC with GM approval. While in Animal Form you may only use the Statistics and Abilities of your chosen Animal Form. Further, you may remain in your chosen form until you change form again or until the end of the current scene. If your animal form is ever killed you are focred back to your own form and stunned for 1d6 minutes afterward.
Each Animal form must be set at the start of each adventure but can be changed by spending 4 hours of Downtime studying a new animal to transform into.  
Wildshape II: At level 4, your Wildshape's maximum XP value increases by 20 more (total of 70 + 5x Class Level). Also you may divide  the total XP value between 2 different Wildshape forms.
Wildshape III: At level 6, your Wildshape's maximum XP value increases by 20 more (total of 90 + 5x Class Level). Also you may divide  the total XP value between 3 different Wildshape forms.
Wildshape IV: At Level 8, your Wildshape's maxmimum XP value increases by 20 more (total of 110 + 5 x Class Level). Also you may divide  the total XP value between 4 different Wildshape forms.

Nature Sense  I: At Level 2, you may substitute your Survival Skill in place of your Saving throw against spells from Charm Discipline . Further you gain Pathfinder Mastery Feat.
Nature Sense  II: At Level 7.you may substitute your Survival Skill in place of your Saving Throw against spells from Illusion Discipline. Further you gain Pathfinder Supremacy Feat

Way of the Wilds: At Levels 3,5,7, and 9, you may either gain 1 Terrain feat or take 1 step on one of your Alignment’s Path.

Venom Immunity: At Level 4, you gain Damage Immunity (Contagions) NPC Quality.

Truly Wild At Level 8, you may use your Wildshape abiilty to shapechange into chosen forms with the Plant or Beast type.

Timeless Body: At Level 10, you no longer feel suffer from the ravages of time.
 Until killed, you appear to be an age of your choosing up to your actual age. This age must be chosen when you gain this ability.  Further, your Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores all increase by 2 each.

Table XX: The Wilder
Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Def Init LS Lgnd Abilities

1   +0   +2  +1   +1  +1   +1  +0  +1  One with Nature, Wildshape I
 2   +1   +3  +2   +2  +1   +1  +0  +1  Nature Sense I
 3   +2   +3  +2   +2  +2   +2  +1  +2  Way of the wilds
 4   +3   +4  +2   +2  +2   +2  +1  +2  Venom Immunity, Wildshape II
 5   +3   +4  +3   +3  +3   +3  +1  +3  Way of the wilds
 6   +4   +5  +3   +3  +4   +4  +2  +3  Wildshape III
 7   +5   +5  +4   +4  +4   +4  +2  +4  Nature Sense II, Way of the wilds
 8   +6   +6  +4   +4  +5   +5  +2  +4  Truly wild, Wildshape IV
 9   +6   +6  +4   +4  +5   +5  +3  +5  Way of the wilds
10  +7  +7   +5   +5  +6   +6  +3  +5  Timeless Body

I've taken a look at what Morg suggested and looked at how the Beastmaster handled things instead of just going off the cuff a bit.
Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:11:16 PM by Medwyn » Logged
Doublebond
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 04:48:32 PM »

I can't speak for anything else in it, but the Wildshape ability is redundant in how it give you more xp to use. It's already giving you 5 more xp every time you level, but then there's an additional bonus at levels 4, 6, and 8, giving you a total of 150 at level 8 and 160 at level 10. I think it would wise to stick to one level of advancement. Perhaps you could alter the initial per level gain? Or maybe make it dynamic (50 + 5  x lvl at level 1, 50 + 10 x lvl at level 6, etc.)? I'm not proposing exactly what you should do, but it seems inconsistent to me to offer a specific gain every level, and then an additional gain at specific levels.

I haven't looked at the book lately, so I don't know if what you're doing has precedent, but that's just my two cents.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: