Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 10:32:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Classic Topics
| | |-+  Terrain and Vehicle Models?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terrain and Vehicle Models?  (Read 27576 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 11:23:51 PM »

You happen to know where I can find some paper model statues (preferably free) that fit for a 1 inch square and at least 2 inches high. I've been looking all over for some that I could use for in a ruin.
I used to have a PDF Crusade Chess set, I can no longer find it, but they would have made good statues. Stylized knights, bishops, kings and queens. You might be able to find it, but my Google-fu has failed me. I believe that it was drawn by A. G. Smith. (An artist for Dover Books.)

World Works Games has some statues in their Hellworks set, not free, and they are closer to grotesques. There is a good mix in Shellendrack Mansion, including a fountain.

Sorry to not be more help.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »

You happen to know where I can find some paper model statues (preferably free) that fit for a 1 inch square and at least 2 inches high. I've been looking all over for some that I could use for in a ruin.

Well, as an idea:

I'm guessing you have some paper minis, so try flattening their pallet to grey scale in GIMPshop to make them sort of greenish brown (like bronze) and then print one.  If it's not tall enough, make a paper box or column to correct the height.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Darth Sephiroth
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 11:57:01 PM »

Actually I don't have paper minis, I have a bunch of other minis that I've got that can work for the setting. The thing is that I want statues for an ancient, ruined temple that will be a major part of one of the adventures.

It's a situation where I need a relatively realistic looking statues for the scenario or else it wouldn't look right for that portion of the adventure.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 12:41:00 AM »

Actually I don't have paper minis, I have a bunch of other minis that I've got that can work for the setting. The thing is that I want statues for an ancient, ruined temple that will be a major part of one of the adventures.

It's a situation where I need a relatively realistic looking statues for the scenario or else it wouldn't look right for that portion of the adventure.
Hmmm, as I said, Hellworks is not free, but.. the statues look sort of like this-

They look fairly ancient, and perhaps a bit unsettling.

Most of the other models I have found have been 'flats' - two dimensional models, which sort of fails in the realism department.

Wikipedia has an article on paper modeling with links, if you want to go digging you may find something.

Some large metal miniatures might also work, but again, not free. One from Reaper that might do is -

03086: Nephal Shadow Prince Demon. Unfortunately he is around $9.

If you want something vaguely medieval then I might recommend a trip to the toystore, you might be able to find a cheap bag of plastic knights. Paint 'em grey or white, then give them a quick wash with a mix of black paint and water. Quick and sloppy, but it works fairly well.

The Auld Grump
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:08:15 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 12:02:13 AM »

Waking this topic from its nap....

This is a kitbash that uses some stuff from other World Works sets - I think it might do well for the base of a villainous organization, For some reason OCP from RoboCop is coming to mind, but I have no idea as to why.

A smaller scale structure also exists -

The Auld Grump
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 12:03:46 AM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 01:19:04 AM »

Grump, the forums cannot take pictures larger than 800 pixels wide without getting seriously messed up. Can you please spoiler tag your statue picture? Smiley
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:21:12 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 11:03:37 PM »

Grump, the forums cannot take pictures larger than 800 pixels wide without getting seriously messed up. Can you please spoiler tag your statue picture? Smiley
Hmmm, that is another one that looks fine on my old monitor as well as the new. I need to find out what is happening there. On the previous problem image I reduced it by 25% - but the apparent difference, on my old monitor, was about half that. The old image is a Jpeg, while the new image is Png. It looks like Firefox is reducing the size of Jpegs on my old machine for some reason.  Undecided

I will reduce the size on this image. Unless the image looks scrunched up I will stick with reduction in preference to spoilers.

The Auld Grump
EDIT* Comparing the images between to open tabs (one before the image was modified, the other after) on my newer monitor the difference in scale does look to be about 25%, much more than on my older monitor. Very odd.  The difference in size on the old monitor is about an inch. Just over three and a half inch difference on the newer monitor.

*EDIT 2* Even odder, it seems to only be reducing images over a certain size - other Jpegs that I have linked to on this page do not appear to be modied, either on the new or the old monitor. It also does not happen in Explorer - Firefox seems to be reducing Jpeg images to fit for some reason. I wonder what is causing it, since it seems to be a 'feature' not a bug.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 11:38:25 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2007, 02:26:54 AM »

It's a setting you can change in some browsers - it used to be in older versions of firefox but I think it's been taken out of the current ones

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 03:08:13 AM »

It's a setting you can change in some browsers - it used to be in older versions of firefox but I think it's been taken out of the current ones

It's the newest version, but I have had Firefox on the system for a long time - it may have ported some older settings over. I went looking for a means to disable it, but no go, at least so far. I wonder whether it is something that still has the settings recorded, but no longer has a means of changing those settings.

I will just have to bear it in mind, I had never noticed it before. It seems to shrink to fit the screen, but not on really big images, just ones that almost fit. Definitely something that was intended to be helpful... Shrinking the image 25% seemed to drop it below whatever threshold it uses, my suspicion is the afore mentioned 800 pixels. Kind of nifty, I just wish that I had known it was there. I don't know if it only does Jpegs, or if it modifies other image types as well.

The Auld Grump

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 03:51:33 AM »

Given experiences in the past, I suspect turning it off in IE will affect FF

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2007, 05:37:37 PM »

Given experiences in the past, I suspect turning it off in IE will affect FF
Except that it doesn't seem to happen in IE at all. I will look to see if there is a toggle though, not real sure where to look for such an option in regards to IE, I use it so seldom anymore.

I did confirm that it reduces image formats other than JPegs though - at least PNG and GIF. The site I was doing test runs on does not accept large BMP files though, so I am not sure about that one.

I will just have to check the size of any largish image in Paint, to make sure it fits.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 06:03:48 PM »

Armorcast has some good resin terrain, I particularly like the Refinery series.

In a similar vein is the Chemical Plant by Pegasus Hobbies.

I have used this set for buildings from a dwarfen brewery to a cracking tower for Menoth's Fire. It can be combined with their Platformer series of catwalks.

Though goodness knows agents never engage in fire fights in such flammable environs as a petroleum refinery.... Tongue

The Pegasus kits are quite reasonably priced, and manufactured in a silvery grey plastic. The Armorcast terrain is a bit pricier, and is cast in epoxy resin. I mix and match quite freely between the two.

The Auld Grump
*EDIT* Armorcast images are from their website, Pegasus images are from The Warstore.

*EDIT 2* All images less than 800 pixels wide....
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 06:28:38 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007, 02:50:20 AM »

Hmmm, as an aside, the tower for the chemical plant that I used in my Delta Green game was originally painted with the Biohazard symbol for use as part of Dr. Kholera's plans, since I had itI decided to use it for the game at hand.... I never did use the good doctor though, what would his feelings be in regards to the Mythos?

The Auld Grump

Darth Sephiroth
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 07:03:40 PM »

I just broke down and bought a pack of HaloClix and am fighting the urge to put them into a game soon.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Herm Albright
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

Your game room, kid-friendly again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 08:59:10 AM »

I never did use the good doctor though, what would his feelings be in regards to the Mythos?

He'd probably consider the Mythos overkill. Remember that he only wants 99.9% of humanity wiped out - not all of it. Wink

Also, I imagine he'd be horrified by the wild, untamed nature of the Mythos. Kholera isn't a fan of things he can't control, at least in a sterile lab setting.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: