Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 10:38:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Fantasy Craft] A Catalogue of Creatures
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Fantasy Craft] A Catalogue of Creatures  (Read 20389 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2009, 01:35:59 AM »

I realize that statting out critters for Fantasy Craft is pretty easy, but sometimes it is nice to not reinvent the wheel.

So, a place to put monsters and critters, to get comments and suggestions, and perhaps later put them in the wiki.

The Morte Wolfe is an undead horror, fully the size of a warhorse. Taught skin, and ragged fur drawn over bones, a belly bloated with prey that it can never digest, and rheumy, dripping eyes thick with cataracts reveal this as no living wolf, even to the quickest of glances.

(Zombie Wolves II by Gamezone Miniatures)

Morte Wolfe (Large Animal Undead Walker 82 XP): Str 14, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 6; SZ L (12, Reach 1); Spd 50 ft. ground; Init III; Atk V; Def III; Res III; Health IV; Comp ; Skills: Athletics III, Blend III, Notice III, Sneak III, Survival III; Qualities: achilles heel (divine, fire), devour, feat (Wolf Pack Basics, Wolf Pack Mastery), grueling combatant, monsterous defense III, necrotic burst, tough II.
Attacks/Weapons: Bite III (diseased: Rabies; trip)
Treasure: 2T

Intended as a fairly tough opponent, though vulnerable to the prepared.

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 02:39:50 AM »

The Gulp Wort is a carnivorous plant that hunts from ambush. Slow moving and lethargic the Wort begins combat by rupturing the gas wort near the base of its mouth  like 'flower'. Any creatures that are paralyzed by the gas are attacked by the Gulper next round. If none of the prey succumbs to the gas then the plant will make a single attack against the smallest target within its reach.

Rumors exist that some rare specimens of Gulper have learned speech, and even to sing, but only if nurtured on the blood and flesh of sentient beings.

Gulp Wort (Large Plant Walker 75 XP): Str 16, Dex 4, Con 10, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ L (22, Reach 2); Spd 10 ft. ground; Init II; Atk IV; Def II; Res IV; Health V; Comp ; Skills: Blend VI, Notice III, Sneak VI; Qualities: chameleon (forest/jungle I, forest/jungle I, swamp I), damage defiance (fire), devour.
Attacks/Weapons: Bite II (grab), Gas Wort (paralyzing I; cone 20ft range), Swallow II (damage type: acid)
Treasure: 1A

The Auld Grump - it's a big green mother from outer space....
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:03:11 AM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

samsimilian
Operative

Do or do not... there is no try

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:52:02 AM »

Ogre LotR (Large Folk Walker 100 XP): Str 18, Dex 10, Con 18, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ L (22, Reach 2); Spd 50 ft. ground; Init III; Atk IV; Def II; Res IV; Health IV; Comp I; Skills: Athletics VII, Intimidate VIII, Notice III; Qualities: banned action (Calm, Influence), battering, damage reduction 3, darkvision I, fearless II, feat (All-Out Attack, Cleave Basics), frenzy II, grueling combatant, improved sense (smell), improved stability, tough II.
Attacks/Weapons: Trample I, Great club (3d6 lethal 20 Massive L2h)

samsimilian
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:55:02 AM »

Standard Goblin (Small Folk Walker 39 XP): Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ S (11, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init VI; Atk V; Def VII; Res III; Health V; Comp I; Qualities: darkvision II, feat (Ambush Basics), light-sensitive, tough I.
Attacks/Weapons: Hatchet (Hatchet 1d6 lethal 20 AP 2, hurl, trip)
Gear: Hardened leather DR 3/ Res Fire 3/DCP 1/ACP 1 / Mov 5 ft.

samsimilian
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 07:58:51 AM »

Orc Standard LotR (Medium Folk Walker 42 XP): Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ M (11, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init III; Atk IV; Def III; Res IV; Health IV; Comp I; Skills: Intimidate I, Survival I; Qualities: always ready, banned action (Calm, Influence), fearless I, feat (All-Out Attack, Armor Basics, Cleave Basics), grueling combatant, improved sense (smell), light-sensitive, menacing threat.
Attacks/Weapons: Sickle sword (1d8 lethal 1920 Hook, Orc S/1h)
Gear: Moderate Orc scalemail with light fittings (DR 5; Resist Edged 3; DP 2; ACP 2; Spd 5 ft

samsimilian
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 08:11:29 AM »

A version of  a Ghoul

Ghoul (Medium Undead Walker 68 XP): Str 10, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10; SZ M (11, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init IV; Atk III; Def III; Res V; Health VI; Comp I; Skills: Sneak III; Qualities: feral, improved sense (scent), stench, swarm.
Attacks/Weapons: Bite I, Claw I, ParaClaw (paralyzing III; linked to attack Claw), ParaBite (sickening IV; linked to attack Bite)
Treasure: 1G, 1T

samsimilian
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »

Ghoul Master (Large Undead Walker 113 XP): Str 14, Dex 12, Con 20, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10; SZ L (11, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init IV; Atk X; Def III; Res V; Health VI; Comp I; Skills: Sneak III; Qualities: feral, improved sense (scent), stench, swarm.
Attacks/Weapons: Bite III 2, Claw III 2 (armour piercing 4; bleed), DrainBite (draining, attribute V; linked to attack Bite)
Treasure: 1G, 1T

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 11:20:45 PM »

The Bullgine Model 8 is the most common heavy bullgine in the world, seeing use in dockyards everywhere on the globe. The finest and most durable creation of Bullgine Maritime Engines Inc. the Model 8 has a reputation not only for endurance, but of showing greater than expected care, not only of its task, but of those around it. While a lesser bullgine might trample a child that dashes in front of it the Model 8 will stop, watching the child until it is safely out of the way.

Despite its high quality the Model 8 is reasonably priced, with durability that surpasses 'gines half again its price. Given its reputation, price, and chary nature it is no surprise that the the Bullgine Model 8 is so common. Perhaps more surprising is the large percentage that have awakened to true sentience, while maintaining the affable nature that has made the Bullgine so loved among the engines.

(Iron Golem by Reaper Miniatures. My personal model is modified with twin smoke stacks and a firebox.)

Bullgine Model 8 [Twin Stack] (Large Construct Walker 87 XP): Str 20, Dex 8, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ L (22, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init I; Atk I; Def I; Res V; Health VII; Comp II; Qualities: banned action (Climb Checks, Swim Checks), clumsy, cold-blooded, damage immunity (fire), damage reduction 5, death throes (fire), fatal falls, grappler, improved carrying capacity, improved stability, lumbering, tough III.
Attacks/Weapons: Slam II 2 (damage type: subdual; grab)

The Auld Grump
*EDIT* Replaced first pair of parenthesis with brackets, replaced missing attacks.

*EDIT* Combat with a Bullgine Model 8 would likely consist of the Bullgine standing there while people beat rather futiley on its skin. In the event that the 'gine does fight back it tends to go for a grapple, seeking to end combat rather than 'win'. Even so, it seems to avoid injury to the target.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 06:39:32 AM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:17:08 AM »

An animated plant that occupies the shadowy divide between undeath and the fey. Entangled in the branches or roots of the Wood Wight is a piece of bone, most often a skull, from someone buried or laid to rest among the roots of the tree that grew into the creature.

Not always hostile, but possessing a raw savagery when angered, Wood Wights are often found in the woods around places once held sacred by the old religions, be it a ring of standing stones or an ancient barrow.

Wood Wights (Medium Fey Plant Undead Walker 95 XP): Str 12, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 14; SZ M (11, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init IV; Atk III; Def III; Res III; Health III; Comp II; Skills: Blend V, Survival V; Qualities: achilles heel (fire), beguiling, chameleon (forest/jungle I), critical surge, damage reduction 2, darkvision II, monsterous attack I, rend, swift attack II, tough I, treacherous.
Attacks/Weapons: Claw II 2 (bleed)

When dancing, they can captivate the eye, though they show little grace beyond that of a strong wind through the trees. In combat one or two Wood Wights may dance, distracting their opponents, while the rest attack.

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 04:42:51 AM »

A fist sized sphere of shining metal, the high pitched whine of its spinning blades heralds its approach as it flies through the air.

Death Sphere (Diminutive Construct Flyer 62 XP): Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10; SZ D (11, Reach 1); Spd 50 ft. flight; Init VII; Atk IV; Def I; Res II; Health I; Comp ; Qualities: banned action (Blend, Sneak), charge attack, critical surge, ferocity, frenzy II, mook, natural defense (lethal), spell reflection, treacherous.
Attacks/Weapons: Whirling Blades (damage II; armour piercing 2; bleed; keen 4)

(Phantasm Ball available from YourProps.com)

The Auld Grump

TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 03:50:26 AM »

I finished repainting some WotC plastics the other day, and am trying my hand at statting the out for Fantasy Craft.

A construct of low grade corundum, the gemlike body glows from within, lit by a sullen red fire. Flame crackles where its fists might be, then bursts forth like the stone from a trebuchet.

Corundum Guardian (Large Construct Walker 94 XP): Str 18, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 4; SZ L (22, Reach 1); Spd 30 ft. ground; Init II; Atk IV; Def II; Res IV; Health IV; Comp I; Qualities: achilles heel (blunt), critical surge, damage immunity (fire), damage reduction 4, grueling combatant, knockback, lumbering, natural defense (fire), regeneration 1, tough II.
Attacks/Weapons: Slam II 2 (damage type: fire), Flame Barrage; range 30'x6; Indirect; blast 5ft blast increment; damage type: fire)
Treasure: 3L

The loot most often takes the form of rough garnets and flawed rubies.

Incidentally - how to price ranged 'natural' or extraordinary attacks? Not to mention ranged indirect blast 'natural' or extraordinary attacks.... Important for statting up WARMACHINE/Iron Kingdoms warjacks, as well as oddballs like this.

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 12:13:37 PM »

Incidentally - how to price ranged 'natural' or extraordinary attacks? Not to mention ranged indirect blast 'natural' or extraordinary attacks.... Important for statting up WARMACHINE/Iron Kingdoms warjacks, as well as oddballs like this.

There are no ranged natural attacks (other than adding reach Smiley). Extraordinary attacks are priced like this:

2 per grade + 2 for quality (including non-lethal damage) + area (XP value x area affected).

Ranged EA's are not presented like weapons; they do not have range increments, nor do they have weapon qualities. Right now, this attack would be pretty difficult to make work in the way you're envisioning, as it has a very long range with a blast at the detonation point. But your EA could look like this (presuming you want it to do the same damage as his fists):

Flame Barrage (cal II fire damage attack: 100 ft. ray, dmg 1d6 fire per 2 Threat Levels, Ref DC 15 for 1/2 damage)

Cost on this would be 4 (grade II attack) + 2 (alternate damage (fire) quality) + 5 (+1 per 20 ft. of ray range) = 11 XP. If you want it to explode at the end, I'd simply add the blast weapon quality as an additional +2 XP, which follows with the overall system design, for a total of 13 XP.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
TheAuldGrump
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 03:25:56 AM »

Hmmm, ranged Extraordinary Attacks might be something to put in any future critter books that might happen down the road - things like Warjacks, some of the bugs in Starship Troopers, and spitting cobras come to mind.... Kind of necessary for some Foes.

There also does not seem to be a way to cover an area without a blast effect - ideally I would like to see the ball of flame cover a 5'x'5 area.

Should another 2 points be added for the ability to fire indirectly? The place I pictured was akin to a crystalline cavern. As the nice GC that I am the first victim would be some poor wee beasty that caught the construct's attention.

The other way that it might be handled is to make Fire Barrage a spell, then give the critter the ability to cast it at will. Mechanically it works, flavor wise... maybe not so much. (Though a construct, by its nature, can be considered a mobile magic item.)

The Auld Grump

Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »

Hmmm, ranged Extraordinary Attacks might be something to put in any future critter books that might happen down the road - things like Warjacks, some of the bugs in Starship Troopers, and spitting cobras come to mind.... Kind of necessary for some Foes.

There *are* ranged extraordinary attacks though. Do you mean you think they should work like ranged weapons? The gaze and ray option both handle them without an "area," as stated in my earlier post.

There also does not seem to be a way to cover an area without a blast effect - ideally I would like to see the ball of flame cover a 5'x'5 area.

Well, there are cones, lines and auras, there's just nothing that lets you create a zone hit within XX feet of yourself. Instead of spending 2 XP to give it blast, spend 2 XP to give it Splash (from Bag Full of Guns: This is my Gun) instead Smiley

Should another 2 points be added for the ability to fire indirectly? The place I pictured was akin to a crystalline cavern. As the nice GC that I am the first victim would be some poor wee beasty that caught the construct's attention.

I guess you could. "Beam" is then a poor descriptor, but it would work rules wise.

The other way that it might be handled is to make Fire Barrage a spell, then give the critter the ability to cast it at will. Mechanically it works, flavor wise... maybe not so much. (Though a construct, by its nature, can be considered a mobile magic item.)

Spells, ranged weapons, and EAs all work the differently though they often lead to the same effect of killing something beyond arm's length.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
Daedalus
Operative

Looks like we'll be in this bar all night...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 01:06:51 PM »

There *are* ranged extraordinary attacks though. Do you mean you think they should work like ranged weapons? The gaze and ray option both handle them without an "area," as stated in my earlier post.

Coincidentally enough, one of the first NPC's I wanted to build was a huge spitting cobra.  For the spitting attack, a ray that damages as well as delivers a blinding poison seemed to work out, but a Blinding Ray is probably enough and would cost less for a higher save, which would work off of Will instead of Fortitude.  Don't forget the venom master trick!   Evil 

The natural attack can also have (for only +2 XP more!) the ability to be triggered by the bite, but I do believe that you'd have to add a neurotoxin component to the bite and that the blinding ray would still be subject to per-round use limits.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: