Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 05:47:07 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Eberron or Iron Kingdoms for Fantasy Craft?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eberron or Iron Kingdoms for Fantasy Craft?  (Read 12228 times)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 07:59:18 AM »

Seriously, look at Morg's Astral Magic thread. It has Dragonmarks written all over it.

As for prestige classes, most of them are more like a good feat chain and a bunch off filler then full expert classes. The scion might work as a five level legendary class though.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
JymB
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 08:39:15 AM »

Personally I love both settings. Eberron was the only setting for 3rd that I liked period, and the rehashes for 4th just seem like same corpse, new make-up to me.  Iron Kingdom was a breath of fresh air as it broke a lot of the constraints that most settings won't touch, like magic and technology together in the same setting, not to mention the two combined as well.
(anyone who's submitted for a proposal with a campaign would know that 99% of the publishes out there wouldn't touch a setting that had that in it.)

As for one being harder then the other, they both have their share of leg work, both have things set to their core feeling and to be honest, I can't figure out for the life of me which could be called "easier".
I guess it all boils down to what YOU think is hard to rewrite, and what is easy to rewrite.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 01:02:46 PM »

Seriously, look at Morg's Astral Magic thread. It has Dragonmarks written all over it.

Probably because I had the Eberon core book and the Dragonmarked sourcebook sitting beside me when I wrote the first draft of those Cheesy. Then I figured out what additional text would be needed to integrate it with some of Mastercraft's spell conventions.

I have nearly all of the 3.5 Eberon books. I may pick up Iron Kingdoms on pdf now that they are available.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 02:56:24 PM »

Well, I definitely have to check this out and change the Dragonmarks concept in my document then. Most certainly this weekend. Smiley
tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »

I needed to whip up a half-Orc race).

You might want to look into Origin of the Species: Classic Fantasy, if you haven't already. It's got an Orc Blood feat that can turn any race into a Half-Orc (which lets the character pick a Talent and Speciality as normal).
Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2009, 06:32:01 AM »

Just in case this might be useful, these are the current drafts I have for "Half-Orcs"...

ORC HERITAGE
A stream of tainted orc blood floods your veins, giving you a hint of their vast vigor.
   Prerequisites: Non-Orc, Level 1 only
   Benefit: The higher of your Strength or Constitution score rises by 1. Your maximum Survival rank increases to your Career Level + 5, but only the highest bonus from any single enlightened ability may apply to each skill. You may take Species Feats as if you had the Orc requirement. However, you have inherited the quick temper and gruffness of your orc heritage and are banned from making Calm or Influence checks.
   Special: If you choose this feat, you may permanently decrease any one of your attributes by 2 to also gain any 1 Species feat with prerequisites of ‘Orc, Level 1 only’.

ORC LEGACY
Your human and orc ancestry manifest in a unique and potent manner. You are often referred to as a half-orc.
   Prerequisites: Human, Orc Heritage
   Benefit: The lower of your Strength or Constitution score rises by 1. Each time an adjacent opponent attacks you and misses, they suffer 2 points of subdual damage. Your maximum Intimidate rank increases to your Career Level + 5, but only the highest bonus from any single enlightened ability may apply to each skill.
Doublebond
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 09:49:11 AM »

I think banning them from doing Calm or Influence checks is a bit too much; in my mind it pushes them a bit too far into Orc territory as well it makes the PC have to have being raised by Orcs as a background (I consider being prohibited from making influence or calm checks to be more of a cultural inheritance than a genetic one). Maybe give them light sensitive instead? You might also consider giving a -1 modifier to intelligence or something similar as well.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:51:52 AM by Doublebond » Logged
Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 03:42:18 AM »

I think banning them from doing Calm or Influence checks is a bit too much; in my mind it pushes them a bit too far into Orc territory as well it makes the PC have to have being raised by Orcs as a background (I consider being prohibited from making influence or calm checks to be more of a cultural inheritance than a genetic one). Maybe give them light sensitive instead? You might also consider giving a -1 modifier to intelligence or something similar as well.

Well I have to explain that Orcs in my world don't suffer light issue. They are more akin to Orcs from Warcraft than Tolkien. My orcs also do not automatically suffer in Intelligence, instead gaining the Attributes of "+2 Any, +2 Constitution, -2 Any" which allows for a wide range of talents among orcs. They are also the inventors of Black Powder in my world.

They do however, have an innate tendency toward conflict similar to the Orcs of "that other game" and are modeled in many ways after Klingons (as are Warcraft orcs). An orc's banned actions are not so much a cultural aspect as a simple part of their genetics.  As an example, I look to the Klingons of the Star Trek universe.  Their tendencies toward conflict and inability to harness rage are a racial trait, not cultural. This is shown often through Worf, Alexander and K'Ehleyr with some other insights from other klingons.  Worf teaches that a Klingon must learn to control their rage, that discipline is a learned trait. K'Ehleyr who is only half Klingon, explains how difficult it is for her to contain the beast within and often struggles with controlling the rage of her Klingon blood, having even more difficulty than Worf. Alexander too, shows an inability to control the Klingon rage.

However, with that said, it is a very Campaign specific vision. As you state the Banned Action could be removed, though I feel it should be replaced with another negative that is consistent to the campaign's vision of orcs.  Keep in mind however, that from a design perspective "Banned Actions" are worth less than many other restrictions. According to my notes, equivalent "point value" restrictions could be:
* -1 to the Lower of 2 Attributes
* Achilles Heel
* -2 to 1 Save category
* -5 ft to Base Speed
* Nocturnal
* 1 Impaired Sense
* -1 Appearance

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 03:46:31 AM »

Well, I definitely have to check this out and change the Dragonmarks concept in my document then.
Well, you got me. The astral magic system is definitely well suited for Dragonmarks. Further, I can even forget about this Dragonmarked Heir expert class that I converted and found soooo "flat": with the Constellation Heir feat chain, there is just no need for this expert class anymore. I'll just add maybe a "Favored in House" feat that will focus on the character's influence within his own house, but other than that, Dragonmarks mechanics will be very nicely handled with astral magic.

Thank you very much for this Scott... or not. Thanks to you, I have now 10 spells for each Dragonmark to find!  Shocked
Khaalis
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2009, 05:52:59 AM »

Thank you very much for this Scott... or not. Thanks to you, I have now 10 spells for each Dragonmark to find!  Shocked
All the more reason we need the Spellbound series!!  That or lots of conversion work to fill out the spell lists. Wink
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »

Take a look at the breakdown of the spell lists by School on the Wiki, that might help you find something appropriate.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2009, 09:35:27 AM »

I know. I'm evil.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »

ks. Further, I can even forget about this Dragonmarked Heir expert class that I converted and found soooo "flat"

Which brings up a point: one of the thing I liked about 3.5 was 5 level 2nd-tier classes (prestige/expert). I'm wondering just how feasible they would be in *Craft

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 04:45:03 PM »

Well, in my doc, some of them - from Eberron - became Master Classes. One, the Dragonmark Heir, became an Expert Class but is doomed to disappear, and the others were just forgotten or transformed into feats. Actually, most of these few-levels-classes can be transformed into 'Basics-Mastery-Supremacy' feat chains.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2009, 04:42:32 PM »

Our Eberron game has been about as simply modded as possible:
- "Miracles" and "Sorcery" are in, obviously.
- Dragonmarks work by advancing players down paths (one of our PCs, an Educated Mage belonging to, er, some house to do with travel, has one, and seems to like the stuff it gives him).
- Black powder weapons are refluffed as hard-to-obtain magitech in a "don't look at the man behind the curtain" sort of way.
- Oh, and we're on fast XP/renown progression, but only because we don't meet very often.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: