Author Topic: Does anyone have any alternate versions of the Path of Magic?  (Read 436 times)

Desertpuma

• Control
  • Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
Does anyone have any alternate versions of the Path of Magic?
« on: January 24, 2017, 06:06:53 AM »
Hey all .. I was curious if anyone had come up with alternate versions of the Path of Magic that they prefer to use?

I did brief search but did not find any in this area of the forums and was curious if anyone had come up with anything.

LSpy Mastermind

TKDB

• Handler
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have any alternate versions of the Path of Magic?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 06:14:30 AM »
I haven't, but I do like making Paths, so I could probably whip something up for you. What sort of alternate take do you have in mind? More like a "being a magician" spin as opposed to the more anti-magic focus of the official Path?

Desertpuma

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 06:26:32 AM »
That's what I was generally thinking, TKDB ... something more offensively inspired rather than countering

I'm always open to ideas. One of my players wanted to know how many possible alternate versions of Paths there were but since he has only Path of Magic that is the only one I am looking to see what people have.

Any help is appreciated

LSpy Mastermind

TKDB

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 06:53:26 AM »
Ok, so here's Take #1, trying to lean a little more toward a "pure magic" type of vibe (plus a bit of reference to folkloric magic with the Call From Beyond, since in most old myths and legends magicians deal with otherworldly beings on the regular):

Magic I: You gain The Gift.
Magic II: You may cast Detect Magic and Identify I once per scene.
Magic III: You may cast Power Word: Wither and Call From Beyond II once per scene.
Magic IV: You may cast Mage Hand II and Telekinesis II once per scene.
Magic V: You may cast Hijack Spell and Power Word: Stun once per scene.

(PW: Wither, Mage Hand II, and Telekinesis II are taken from the Spycraft 2.0 Spellbound splats, and may require some conversion, particularly for Telekinesis.)

Alternatively, I also came up with Take #2, aka the Path of "Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!"

"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" I: You gain The Gift.
"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" II: You may cast Detect Magic and Magic Missile once per scene.
"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" III: You may cast Mirror Images and Fireball I once per scene.
"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" IV: You may cast Lightning Bolt II and Cone of Cold once per scene.
"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" V: You may cast Reverse Gravity and Conjure Elemental IV once per scene.

(Reverse Gravity is from the Spycraft Channeler splat.)

Desertpuma

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:42:34 AM »
Ok, so here's Take #1, trying to lean a little more toward a "pure magic" type of vibe (plus a bit of reference to folkloric magic with the Call From Beyond, since in most old myths and legends magicians deal with otherworldly beings on the regular):

Magic I: You gain The Gift.
Magic II: You may cast Detect Magic and Identify I once per scene.
Magic III: You may cast Power Word: Wither and Call From Beyond II once per scene.
Magic IV: You may cast Mage Hand II and Telekinesis II once per scene.
Magic V: You may cast Hijack Spell and Power Word: Stun once per scene.

(PW: Wither, Mage Hand II, and Telekinesis II are taken from the Spycraft 2.0 Spellbound splats, and may require some conversion, particularly for Telekinesis.)

Alternatively, I also came up with Take #2, aka the Path of "Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!"

"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" I: You gain The Gift.
"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" II: You may cast Detect Magic and Magic Missile once per scene.
"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" III: You may cast Mirror Images and Fireball I once per scene.
"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" IV: You may cast Lightning Bolt II and Cone of Cold once per scene.
"Look At Me, I'mma D&D Wizard!" V: You may cast Reverse Gravity and Conjure Elemental IV once per scene.

(Reverse Gravity is from the Spycraft Channeler splat.)

These all look solid, TKDB. Thanks.

I have the Channeler splat at home. Hijack Spell is in their as well, correct?

LSpy Mastermind

TKDB

• Handler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:45:26 AM »
Hijack Spell is in Call to Arms: Shinobi.

(Also, note that PW: Wither is in the Spycraft Seer splat, the rest are all Channeler spells though.)

Desertpuma

• Control
    • View Profile
    • Crusaders Citadel
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 09:59:54 AM »
Hijack Spell is in Call to Arms: Shinobi.

(Also, note that PW: Wither is in the Spycraft Seer splat, the rest are all Channeler spells though.)

Thanks!

LSpy Mastermind