Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 06:01:40 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Eberron or Iron Kingdoms for Fantasy Craft?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eberron or Iron Kingdoms for Fantasy Craft?  (Read 12247 times)
areborewulf
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:46:06 AM »

Greetings,

I would like to run a campaign with either Eberron or Iron Kingdoms. Both settings appeal to me equally so I am curious as to which setting would make an easier fit?

Also which books would you recommend that I get?

Please note: I understand that Iron Kingdoms is out of print but I can get the books via PDF on RPGnow.

Thank you!

Areborewulf
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 12:13:48 PM by areborewulf » Logged
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »

Eberron would require less work, just due to most of the species and abilities already being represented.  You'd just need to throw together a changling and a shifter and you're basically done.  Artificers are just mages or keepers with the varied construction feats, though if you want it to be a close match, go with the Seer.  For your dragonmarks, check out Morgs thread on Astral magic, located here it'll cover those abilities pretty well, or use feat based path progression, and make a path for each dragon mark.

Iron Kingdoms would require a little bit more work, but still pretty doable.  You might wanna use Channeler for warcasters, maybe with an expert class that advances their personal lieut. to represent warjacks [who will be about 80-100 xp in my estimation, which is a lot of feats for a mage to invest].  Although priests might work equally well for warcasters [path of magic and maybe something custom that gives them good warjack partners].
areborewulf
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »

Thank you for the response. You're the 2nd person that suggested to me that Eberron would be a bit easier.

Would I need the players book for eberron  or will the Campaign Guide suffice?

Thank you!

-Areborewulf
MrkMllr
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:02:07 PM »

I think the answer to that question depends on which edition (3.x or 4e) of the Eberron you are talking about.  For 3.x the core book would work as it acted as a players and GM guide.  With 4e you'll likely need the players guide to do the conversions as the Campaign Setting is mostly fluff. 
ThatBlastedSamophlange
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »

I also recommend Eberron just because the world is one of my favorites to adventure in, if it is done right that is.  Fantasy Craft definately has the right feel going on.

As to the books, well I'd recommend you get the 3.5 eberron campaign setting.  It is full of lots of fluff for the players and DM's.  The only drawback is that fluff that should only be known by the DM is interspersed with fluff that a player is likely to read.  Ruins some of the dramatic moments with some NPC's.  

Shifters, changelings, and kalashtar are the only races you have to add.  Kalashtar would probably work as a species feat for humans.  Shifters is a tough call either another species feat for humans or a full blown race.

Changelings could be as simple as making a race that has flawless/upgraded disguise that is always an origin skill for them as well as a quality where they are always treated as having a disguise kit.  Easy Peasy.

Also since goblins are already a player race in Fantasy Craft Eberron is another good match since the nation of darguun is run by the goblinoids and is my favorite part of Eberron.  So I'd recommend maybe making hobgoblins and bugbears playble races as well.

Hope that helps.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 02:35:08 AM »

Heh, not an easy question to answer, at all, at all. Both are excellent settings, and both venture far from the pointy hats of Tolkien ripoffs. Both are more industrial than mediaeval in flavor, and both adress the matters of communication and travel in their own ways.

I do have to agree that Eberron is the easier of the two to convert, though I believe that a start has already been made on converting the Iron Kingdoms. Fantasy Craft would, I think, treat Iron Kingdoms as Industrial, at least as far as tech is concerned, while Eberron uses magic to create much the same result.

Though flavor wise Eberron comes closer to 1930s pulp, a horrific war in recent history, and the next war looming on the horizon. But all done with magic instead of engineering.

Good choices!

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
tenebrae
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 04:04:43 AM »

Mechanically, I think the Flesh option for the Special Construction feat matched Eberron's Warforged better than the standard Unborn modifiers (e.g. fire instead of electricity weakness, the ability be be treated as well as repaired [although this might still not allow magical curing by RAW], the Dread quality [which covers the standard reaciton to fighting a faceplated, untiring killing machine on the battlefield]). With that said, the Clockwork option works well too, since 'forged aren't usually any slower than humans in D&D.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 04:44:35 PM by tenebrae » Logged
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 07:09:55 AM »

I'm not really seeing that Eberron is easier than IK to port to FC.

I'm not seeing races as a big obstacle. FC has goblins and ogres already; at worst, you might have to tweak or disallow some species feats to fit the setting flavor better.

Eberron is loaded with mechanics ingrained setting elements like prestige classes and dragonmarks that would take whole new subsystems to adapt. IK mechanically realized setting elements are more things like gear (a little work, but firearms are already in FC) and monsters (trivial in FC.)

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 07:22:55 AM »

Eberron is loaded with mechanics ingrained setting elements like prestige classes and dragonmarks that would take whole new subsystems to adapt.

I don't know, Paths could easily be adapted to Dragonmarks. Each Dragonmark is either linked to an existing Path, or has its own specific Path. Dragonmark advancement would be through feats, with a specialized Expert Class to grant access to the highest tier of 'mark (Syberis Mark, iirc).

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 02:01:22 PM »

I've (almost) finished something for Eberron. It's in French and lacking illustrations for now, but as for Conan (I know, I'm late), I can translate bits of my work if someone's interested.

http://www.le-scriptorium.com/uploads/file/Aides_de_jeu/Mastercraft/eberron_guide_de_conversion.pdf

By the way, I love both Eberron and Iron Kingdoms. But to start with, I would recommend Eberron, because it requires a little less conversions in my opinion.
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 08:41:56 PM »

You know - it seems that an awful lot of people who like IK also like Eberron, and vise versa. I wonder if the two settings attract the same sorts of players and GMs? It seems likely.

I also suspect that many of those who like Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, etc. do not love either IK or Eberron. (I certainly remember enough bellyaching when Eberron first came out.)

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
MrkMllr
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »

I would agree with that.  While I like FR and Greyhawk and the like I find them rather boring and am much more attracted to setting like IK and Eberron. 
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 11:32:05 PM »

Eberron and Iron Kingdoms seem to suffer less from "Elminster Syndrome" then forgotten realms seems to, at least in my experiance.  Which is a part of the draw for me.

My fantasy campaign actually looks a bit like a mish-mash of Eberron, Iron Kingdoms, Dragon Age and Warhammer, even if it wasn't actually planned to be that way.
Goodlun
Operative

Yeah thats me with my Judo Gi and an AK-47

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 01:28:05 AM »

Eberron and Iron Kingdoms seem to suffer less from "Elminster Syndrome" then forgotten realms seems to, at least in my experiance.  Which is a part of the draw for me.

My fantasy campaign actually looks a bit like a mish-mash of Eberron, Iron Kingdoms, Dragon Age and Warhammer, even if it wasn't actually planned to be that way.
Now that sounds like a worthwhile campaign
drnuncheon
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 07:26:42 AM »

Eberron is loaded with mechanics ingrained setting elements like prestige classes and dragonmarks that would take whole new subsystems to adapt.

I don't know, Paths could easily be adapted to Dragonmarks. Each Dragonmark is either linked to an existing Path, or has its own specific Path. Dragonmark advancement would be through feats, with a specialized Expert Class to grant access to the highest tier of 'mark (Syberis Mark, iirc).

Why not just use the feats as they are in the Eberron book? (with the appropriate changes to spell names, naturally). And Prestige Classes are not so far fromExpert
classes that they could not be adapted. (However, the Siberys mark is completely separate from normal dragonmarks - you either have it or the least-lesser-greater version, but never both.)

That's what I was planning to do, although nobody in my group went for a
dragonmark (or a shifter/changeling/kalashtar for that matter - we did wind up with a lizardfolk from Q'barra, and I needed to whip up a half-Orc race). Now we've got a group of criminals in Sharn whose crime organization has just been wiped out by one of the other four, and they'll be looking for rebuilding and revenge.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: