Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 06:43:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Fantasy Craft] The Witcher Campaign Setting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Fantasy Craft] The Witcher Campaign Setting  (Read 1660 times)
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:19 AM »

You've guessed I suppose. I want to convert the wonderful setting of Andrzej Sapkowski to Fantasy Craft. I've already adressed some of the issues I'm going to be dealing with during the process, but I have two main questions I would like to have your opinion on.

1. What should be a Witcher? A Specialty? A base class? An expert class? A master class? An expert class and a master(-witcher) class?

2. How should Signs be handled? As Spells or as a new kind of power source with its own rules?

I already plan to make extended rules for alchemy btw. Thanks for your advice. Smiley
blackheart
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »

My very first character idea for FC was in fact based on Geralt ( a soldier/alchemst cross ).

The monster-hunter expert class also comes pretty damn close.
As for Signs, the magic rules as is seem to be a good fit, but YMMV.

"How do you carjack a Death Star?"
Gina Diggers, Gold Digger #99
Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 07:00:14 PM »

I made a witcher-influenced base class for an upcoming campaign, but it's not exactly supposed to be canonical or anything, so it varies. I did mutations and signs as two separate "pick and choose" abilities, which I suppose isn't normally allowed, and I did signs as their own thing- though they wound up on the weak side for sure.
Daedalus
Operative

Looks like we'll be in this bar all night...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 11:03:38 PM »

The signs, I thought, were pretty easy to convert to spells, in which case maybe the Witchers are an expert class that gets to choose Signs, akin to how a Rune Knight does.  They would also probably have to have Alchemy Basics to enter the class, and be encouraged (not granted) to take the other Alchemy feats.  In a Witcher setting, it would probably end up being a replacement for both Rune Knight and Alchemist, but Monster Slayer is pretty good for Witchers, if not slightly off-base.

Just using the signs from the PC game (sorry, I haven't read the books, yet) I had a few ideas.  Witchers in this paradigm cast spells as Priests, or possibly using SP to represent Endurance.

Aard > Gust of Wind (Level 2 spell)
Advanced Aard > Repelling Wave I (Level 6 spell)

Igni > Burning Hands (Channeler) (Level 1 spell)
Advanced Igni > Fireball II (Level 7 Spell)

Quen > Resilient Sphere I. (Level 4 spell, self-only.)
Advanced Quen > Targets who attempt to attack the character and deal no damage are subject to a standard attack action using their bonus(es) and weapon(s). (Alternatively, Resilient Sphere II [Level 8, self-only] isn't bad.)

Yrden > Bestow Curse 1/scene.  (Level 3 spell, but usable only as a ready action against the approach of opponents.)
Advanced Yrden > Bestow Curse 2/ scene.  (Level 3 spell, but usable only as a readied action against the approach of opponents.)

Axii > Insanity I (Level 2 spell)
Improved Axii > Insanity II (Level 5 spell)

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:00:32 AM »

I have neither played the game, or read the books, so I'm going off what a friend told me about it [he also compared my FC game to the Witcher], but I'd take a look at Morg's astral magic work for the Signs.

I'm planning on picking it up soon to play with over the holidays, and I might check out the books too [I've heard good things].  After some play, I might have some more useful advice.
Daedalus
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »

Another idea I had, and this is a little more daunting, is incorporating the Signs into the Witcher's class features.  Looking at the Rune Knight as a model, let's see what we can do here:
Sign Combatant: Whenever you reach levels 1, 5, and 9, you gain access to two Signs.  Activating a Sign costs 1 Spell Point and is a half action, and activating an Advanced Sign costs 2 Spell Points and is a full action.  You must have access to a sign to acquire its advanced version.

Aard: Up to 3 adjacent opponents are hit by a Medium Bull Rush action, using your Athletics result.
Advanced Aard: All adjacent opponents are hit by a Huge Bull Rush action, using your Athletics result.

Igni: Characters and objects in a 15 ft. cone are hit for 1d4 fire damage [AP 5] per two caster levels. A Reflex save (DC 10+your Int modifier+Melee Combat feats) halves this damage.
Advanced Igni: One character or object in medium and all characters adjacent to the target are hit for 1d6 fire damage [AP 5] per two caster levels.  A Reflex save (DC 10+your Int modifier+Melee Combat feats) halves this damage.

Quen: Until you perform an attack action, damage equal to 10 + caster level is absorbed harmlessly each round.  This protection has no additional resistance of its own.
Advanced Quen: Until you perform an attack action, damage equal to 15 + caster level is absorbed harmlessly each round.  This protection has no additional resistance of its own.  In addition, any attacker who damages the protection suffers an equal amount of lethal damage.

Yrden: Choose an adjacent square.  Any opponent that enters this square must make a Reflex save (DC 10+your Int modifier+number of Melee Combat feats) or suffer 1d4 subdual damage per two caster levels (rounded up).  The square remains protected until the sign is triggered 3 times.
Advanced Yrden: Choose an adjacent square.  Any opponent that enters this square must make a Reflex save (DC 10+your Int modifier+number of Melee Combat feats) or suffer 1d4 subdual damage per two caster levels (rounded up).  If he fails the Will save against the Stress damage, he fails 2 saves instead.  The square remains protected until the sign is triggered 5 times.

Axii: An opponent in Close Quarters is subject to a Taunt action using your Sense Motive result.  If he fails this check, he must dedicate his next available action attacking your choice of any target adjacent to him.  If he succeeds, he gains a +1 bonus to his next attack against you this combat.  Once an opponent has resisted the Axii sign, it cannot be used against them for the remainder of the scene.   
Advanced Axii: Three opponents in Close Quarters are subject to a Taunt action using your Sense Motive result.  If any one opponent fails this check, he must dedicate his next available action attacking your choice of any target adjacent to him.  If any one succeeds, he gains a +1 bonus to his next attack against you this combat.  Once an opponent has resisted the Advanced Axii sign, it cannot be used against them for the remainder of the scene.

So...those didn't end up looking anything like the Rune Knight's runes, but it's important that, if used as a class feature, that it doesn't dominate their class advancement, since Witchers have other abilities they need to succeed, and Signs aren't all there is to being a Witcher.  Any character who became a Witcher through the Mage class probably deserves the bonuses to caster level they receive, since they will have key weaknesses in melee combat in general, which will likely be the focus of the other class features.

About the setting...
(click to show/hide)
Aragathor
Handler

The Black Mouse

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:02:11 PM »

I've read all the books, in polish.

Forget about the class, unless you start out playing kids before their voice breaks.
It's a clear Origin.

It would also come with the prereq: Male only.

Proud member of the Crafty Freelancer Posse®.

True nobility can not be inherited, it must be achieved.

"Endure and thrive."
Daedalus
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »

I've read all the books, in polish.

Forget about the class, unless you start out playing kids before their voice breaks.
It's a clear Origin.

It would also come with the prereq: Male only.

Hey, knowledge is power!
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 12:04:39 PM »

It's a clear Origin.
That's what I've finally done. It's a Specialty (giving a feat called Mutant Heritage). It also allows players to fully choose whether their character is rather a good fighter/alchemist/mage/monster slayer. All these classes are good choices for witchers, so I don't want to build another class that would only steal ideas from each of them.

But I'm quite interested in the propositions for the Signs. I'll see how it works and how to organize this smoothly. As soon as I've something not too bad, I'll ask for your advice again. Smiley
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: