Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 11:17:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  [Notebook] Roar!!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Notebook] Roar!!  (Read 2740 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2009, 04:56:12 PM »

This is a class I'm hoping to use in my upcomming samurai-fantasy setting Smiley. It's also handy as an example of using a Path in a setting without the miracles campaign quality.

GOLDEN LION
Streaking across the field, the Golden Lion leads the charge into the very heart battle. He seeks victory and glory with each mighty blow he sends crashing down upon the enemy, breaking their spirits through sheer ferocity. More than just a bloodthirsty killer or wild berserker, he upholds the heroic ideal of the warrior – honorable in war, loyal in peace.
Depending on the campaign, a Golden Lion could be...
•   A shining knight of the realm, champion of the people, and a terror to the dark creatures that would prey upon them.
•   A proud general who leads from the front, unwilling to risk men in battles he would not face himself.
•   A fearless samurai warrior leaping headlong into the ranks of the enemy with a wild shout.
•   A ferocious hunter who is always quick to fight and quick lift the spirits of his friends.
•   The arms-master of a noble house or guild, bold and well respected for his unflagging courage.

Party Role: Combatant. The Golden Lion lives for the thrill of battle and the accolades of triumph. With his emphasis on the Path of Honor, he is often surprisingly resistant to mental manipulation. His preference for fast paced, mobile combat is best served on the open field, but he remains highly dangerous even in tight quarters.

Class Features
Requirements: Ride 4+ ranks, Charging Basics, Mobility Basics
Favored Attributes: Strength, Constitution
Class Skills: Acrobatics, Athletics, Intimidate, Notice, Resolve, Ride, Survival, Tactics
Skill Points: 4 + Int modifier per level
Vitality: 12 + Con modifier per level

Core Ability
Like a Comet: Each time you charge, your base speed increases by 10 ft. for that action and you gain a +2 dodge bonus to defense until the beginning of your next initiative count.

Class Abilities
Glorious-Exchange I: At Level 1, your Legend increases by 1. You and all allies within 50 ft. gain a +1 morale bonus to Will Saves, and all opponents within 50 ft. suffer a –2 morale penalty to Will Saves.
Glorious-Exchange II: At level 8, your Legend increases by an additional 1 (for a total increase of 2). You and all allies within 50 ft. gain a +2 morale bonus to Will Saves, and all opponents within 50 ft. suffer a –4 morale penalty to Will Saves.

Call Out I: At Level 2, you may Taunt opponents using your Intimidate skill and may target opponents who can see and hear you up to 100 ft. away. If the opponent cannot immediately attack you, but can reach a square from which they could attack you with a Single Standard move, they must do so on their next action.
Call Out II: At Level 7, once a taunted opponent has attacked you as a result of being taunted, they must spend at least 1 half action moving towards you or attacking you every round until you move away from them, you taunt another character, or the combat ends.

Way of the Warrior: At Levels 3, 5, 7, and 9, you may either gain 1 Melee Combat feat or take 1 step on the Path of Honor.

Run them Down: At Level 4, when you charge, you may also trip 1 opponent as a free action at any point along you movement (in addition to your attacks). Further, you may charge 2 additional times per combat.

Uncanny Dodge I: Your senses are supremely sharp, letting you react quickly to danger. At Level 4, you retain your Dexterity bonus to Defense (if any) even when flat-footed.
Uncanny Dodge II: At Level 8, you never become flanked.

Fortunes of War I: You stand fast in battle, especially when the pressure’s on. At Level 6, you gain Damage Reduction 1. During dramatic scenes, this DR increases to 2.

Total War: Blood-soaked ferocity seems to surround you on all sides. At Level 10, you and all allies within 50 ft. may re-roll one failed attack check each round, so long as the original roll was not an error.

Table XX: The Golden Lion
Lvl BAB Fort Ref Will Def Init LS Lgnd Abilities
 1   +1   +0  +1   +1  +0   +1  +1  +1  Glorious-Exchange I
 2   +2   +0  +2   +2  +1   +1  +2  +1  Call Out I
 3   +3   +1  +2   +2  +1   +2  +2  +2  Way of the warrior
 4   +4   +1  +2   +2  +2   +2  +2  +2  Run them down, uncanny dodge I
 5   +5   +1  +3   +3  +2   +3  +3  +3  Way of the warrior
 6   +6   +2  +3   +3  +2   +4  +3  +3  Fortunes of war I
 7   +7   +2  +4   +4  +3   +4  +4  +4  Call Out II, Way of the warrior
 8   +8   +2  +4   +4  +3   +5  +4  +4  Glorious-Exchange II, uncanny dodge II
 9   +9   +3  +4   +4  +4   +5  +4  +5  Way of the warrior
10  +10  +3  +5   +5  +4   +6  +5  +5  Total War

Path of Honor
Honor I: You gain a +5 bonus to Resolve checks.
Honor II: Your lowest attribute rises by 1 and your melee and unarmed attacks gain armor piercing 2.
Honor III: You gain the Iron Will feat.
Honor IV: You may roll twice when making Tactics checks, keeping the result you prefer.
Honor V: You Heroic, Military, or Noble Renown increases by 2

NPC Qualities
Like a Comet: 2 XP
Glorious-Exchange: 3 XP per grade
Call Out: 3 XP per grade
Total War: 12 XP
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:47:12 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 09:26:36 PM »

Very nice, I dig the Path of Honor and I like the War of the Warrior having a choice between the feat and the path.  I'll show it to a mate of mine who wanted a more Samurai like character then just a Soldier / Martial Artist.
knight.errant
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 12:08:22 AM »

Roar indeed.

Excellent work Morg, I really like this flavor.

Knights are quick to pledge their loyalty and even quicker to charge into battle.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 10:54:47 AM »

Like.

This would fit well for a Freeport NPC I'm looking at porting. Any thoughts on NPC costs for some abilities?

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:39:27 AM »

I like. MOAR!  Grin

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mithra Man
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:38:32 PM »

Very impressive Morgenstern.   Smiley  I like how it has well-rounded saves, soldier-like combat skills and vitality, the dodge benefits of a burglar and the coolness of the Path of Honor.   At first I thought that the Golden Lion had too high a defense with the +2 benefit from "Like a Comet" but since the base Def is less than that of the Soldier it balances out.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 02:46:57 AM »

Thank you all for the praise Smiley. I'm very pleased with how this one turned out. The feat/step choice at levels 3/5/7/9 has helped me flesh out several other classes that may make an appearance in my setting.

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 07:00:33 PM »

Looks solid! Might have to use it in a home campaign...

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Race
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:09:54 PM »

You do awsome work!
(Hands two action dice, a cupcake and a coupon for a free home cooked dinner if you are ever out this way)
Roar!
And I agree, moar!
Keep up the good work!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 03:45:11 PM »

Thank you all for the praise Smiley. I'm very pleased with how this one turned out. The feat/step choice at levels 3/5/7/9 has helped me flesh out several other classes that may make an appearance in my setting.

The wording would appear to indicate that Blessed (Path of Blah) would be a valid feat choice prior to taking your third level in classes with that particular structure

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »

The wording would appear to indicate that Blessed (Path of Blah) would be a valid feat choice prior to taking your third level in classes with that particular structure

That was my intent, yes. ...Though I expected to do some setting-specific feats that gave you a step along a specific path (I'd use those in Rokugan rather than Blessed - Blessed can run a little wild).

Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 02:21:22 PM »

I'm slowing down from moving the shop and getting back into doing my job as a retailer - Which means giving my PDFs of the work done by the Crafty forum-ites to customers that buy Fantasy Craft so they have even more Fantasy Craft goodness. While I was dumping select files (don't want to give someone the Call to Arms classes I converted to my layout style - Go buy them from Crafty!) I noticed the fact that I had two versions of the Golden Lion. The oddball one was my conversion of the Call Out I&II class ability adapted for the Challenge feat chain that I did just before the move madness started. What do you think of this modification?

Call Out I: At Level 2, you gain the Challenge Basics feat. Also, you may Taunt opponents using your Intimidate skill.

Call Out II: At Level 7, you gain the Challenge Mastery feat. Also, you may use your Single Combat  trick gained from Challenge Basics 2 additional times per combat.
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:15:14 PM »

The abilities need book and page callouts, but otherwise seem reasonable for those who have access to those feats Smiley.

Big_Jim
Handler

An integral part of any plan for world domination.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 06:33:04 PM »

Here's the book and page call outs, and a tweak to Call Out II to allow the 100 ft range back in to the mix. I don't know why I thought 2 more uses were necessary when the range had been cut down from 100 to 30 ft. That increased range makes the class the far more mobile, fast and often mounted character that the class's Ride rank requirements really point to.

Call Out I: At Level 2, you gain the Challenge Basics feat (see Call to Arms: Crusader, page Cool. Also, you may Taunt opponents using your Intimidate skill.

Call Out II: At Level 7, you gain the Challenge Mastery feat (see Call to Arms: Crusader, page Cool. Also, you may use your Single Combat  trick gained from Challenge Basics on targets up 100 ft. away.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: