Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 08:36:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Some new Spellcasting feat tech inspired by M:tG
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some new Spellcasting feat tech inspired by M:tG  (Read 198 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »

I'm fond of M:tG use of cycles - similar mechanics replicated across all 5 colors of their effect pie (sometimes with a sixth card as an artifact). Meta-themes give structure to the whole. Browsing through my Coldsnap Visual Encyclopedia I hit on a cycle card that suggested a neat mechanic, but more it suggested that there could be a standardized way of describing "do this as a cycle of spells". Fantasycraft doesn't really lend itself well to dozens of new variant spells each featuring a cycle type mechanic laid over the base spell's behavior, but it does have excellent tools for modifying existing spells on a per caster basis: feats and tricks.

Anyway, enough random mumbling. Toys!

SPELLCASTING FEATS

Battlemancy Cycle
  Your magic navigates the current’s of victory.
  Prerequisites: 1+ spell points, Special character only
  Benefit: Choose up to 3 spells you know, with each spell being from a different discipline than the other two. You may spend up to 2 Edge as if they were spell points when casting these spells (e.g. when casting a 4th level spell you could spend 4 spell points, 3 spell points and 1 Edge, or 2 spell points and 2 Edge).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 05:54:04 PM by Morgenstern » Logged

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:57:54 AM »

SPELLCASTING FEATS

Phyrexian Cycle
  All will kneel before the agents of the Great Process!
  Prerequisites: 1+ spell points
  Benefit: Choose up to 3 spells you know, with each spell being from a different discipline than the other two. You may suffer 1 or 2 wounds that cannot be reduced or redirected to reduce the spell point cost when casting these spells by 1 spell point per wound (e.g. when casting a 4th level spell you could spend 4 spell points, 3 spell points and suffer 1 wound, or 2 spell points and suffer 2 wounds).

Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »

From the fluff line, I was expecting an intimidate style effect based on successful spell casting.

Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »

Just toying with some meta-mechanics so far. You're almost certainly on to something for doing more detailed setting localization of the Phyrexian threat Smiley.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: